What's going on here?

Mag

What's going on here?
« on: 3 Jun 2008, 02:19 pm »
When re-mastering with the BCD-1 the signal is sampled, recorded and converted by ADC. Then playing back on the BCD-1 the signal is processed again.

I believe this works because of the low jitter of the BCD-1. The ADC introduces some jitter back into the recording, but it's then corrected again by the BCD-1.

So my question is, is the signal oversampled 2 times or 3 times in this process?
Are the stunning results from this process made possible because of the low jitter?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: What's going on here?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jun 2008, 02:41 pm »
When re-mastering with the BCD-1 the signal is sampled, recorded and converted by ADC. Then playing back on the BCD-1 the signal is processed again.

I believe this works because of the low jitter of the BCD-1. The ADC introduces some jitter back into the recording, but it's then corrected again by the BCD-1.

So my question is, is the signal oversampled 2 times or 3 times in this process?
Are the stunning results from this process made possible because of the low jitter?

Hi Mag,

The Bryston CD Player DAC oversamples 128 times and the jitter is below the residual of the Audio Percision AP2700 test gear.

james

Mag

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jun 2008, 05:48 pm »
Is it correct to say then, its oversampled 128 (BCD-1) X 32 (ADC) x 128 (BCD-1) to arrive at the final result?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 3 Jun 2008, 05:52 pm »
Is it correct to say then, its oversampled 128 (BCD-1) X 32 (ADC) x 128 (BCD-1) to arrive at the final result?

Sounds logical.

I assume your finding you prefer the copy even to the original?

james

Mag

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jun 2008, 06:01 pm »
Yes, I find the resolution obtained from less than ideal resolution original recording is the ballpark of DTS.

I'm thinking of trying it on higher resolution recordings that aren't re-mastered. On badly compressed recordings I don't think it would eliminate the compression.