Build Thread: GK-1m, LifeForce 25, LifeForce 100, Orion Loudspeakers!

whubbard

Hi All,

Now that I've finally started on this project I figured I might as well start a build thread. I'm going to be building Aspen GK-1m, LifeForce 25, LifeForce 100 and Orion Loudspeakers! All will be modded to ensure that they work as best as possible together (I'm compling a list of mods I will post later). So over the past 24 hours I've finished the Orion ASP boards and the GK-1.
On the ASP I was silly enough to forget a few resistors so I gave Michael Percy up a call and hopefully they should be coming soon.
On the GK-1 I couldn't do much on the manual selection board as the RCA and DACT will be connected once I've fully figured out my chassis.
On the GK-1 board I ran into a few problems but I was able to fix them. The first two being that the some of the caps supplied don't fit the board. Hugh, the holes on your board are TINY!!!! Luckily I got out some sand paper and went to work on the leads and they ended up fitting. I have left off C1, C19, and C21 as I will be using other caps and again I will only mount them once I've figured out the chassis. I also left off the tube sockets as I picked up some gold platted ones from Michael Percy as my tubes are gold platted so the sockets might as well be. C1 cap will go from RCA to input and C1 board spot will just be a wire.

Up next I'm going to change the diodes in the power supplies and also do a quick mod the LF25 and also remove C1 for the platinums. After that I'll be leaving the iron behind and going to the woodshop to build the cases, Orions, and a rack.

Here are some pictures of the work so far.

GK-1

ASP

ASP from the front

Updates Soon.

-West

AKSA

Nicely made, West    :drool:,

You have nice component dress in your boards.  Can we see the foil side?     

No examination is complete without seeing the solder!   :nono:

Cheers,

Hugh

whubbard

Sure.

Pics are below. I still need to clean the boards.

-West

p.s. Changing the diodes on the power boards SUCKS! ARG!  :duh:

Pics: (Click on links for Higher Resolution Pics.)

GK-1 http://westsweb.com/GK-1%20Solder.JPG Got that diode... :thumb:

ASP Overview http://westsweb.com/Solder%20Overview.JPG

ASP Side http://westsweb.com/Solder%20Side.JPG

ASP Side 2 http://westsweb.com/Solder%20Side2.JPG

AKSA

Good soldering, West, take a bow!!   :wine:

Hugh

whubbard

Well it's time for the next update.

In terms of the Aspen gear I’m pretty much all finished with the electronics.
I replaced all the diodes in the power supplies with some new Schottky Diodes and I put the wire jumpers in on the Gk-1 board. That pretty much wrapped up the soldering on the Aspen gear (Until I put in the Plats and C4/C7).

I also split the LF100 board in two and that pretty much wrapped it up. While splitting the board, however, I did learn a lesson. What happened was Hugh told me it would be easiest to split it right down the middle, and assured me I would still be able to solder the components in the middle to the two boards. Well, I thought I would try it differently. I took my Dremel and threw on a new 1-1/2" cutting blade and went to work on it. I did my best to avoid all the holes in the board, so it would be easier to solder the components in. I was careful to ensure I cut to the proper side and wasn't severing the PCB connections. Long story short is that the blade was way to big and I ending up having to do some patch-work. Moral of the story: Listen to Hugh! Now Hugh being who he is offered to send a new board (even though I didn't listen to him), but luckily it appears that my patch-work did the job just fine, it’s just not as pretty.

I am still finalizing my design for the GK-1 and LFs but hopefully that will get rolling soon.

In terms of the Orions things are moving along. I went to trusty Home Depot today to pick up all the wood I needed, and it shouldn’t be more than a week and a half before I’ve finished up all the woodwork. I went with birch plywood for the sides and got some iron on veneer to cover the side of the plywood board where to can see the multiple boards joined together.

With the ASP I got all the resistors that I forgot to order the first time around and put them in. I also put in all the wire jumpers (0 ohm resistors). They will be going in the same case as the LFs, so all that’s left to be done with the ASP is to obtain a power supply.

So things are moving slowly, but they are moving. I am hoping to spend some time in my shop and finish the Flexy rack and the Orions. I will try and post some photos when things progress a little more.

-West

whubbard

Another Update:

I got back into my woodshop today (Sunday) and competed the Orion frame. Tomorrow I will paint it black and then wednesday I will put the sides on. After that I will need to do the Rev 1.A mounting on the midrange, and attached the rear tweeter as well, hopefully that won't take too long.

Once I've finished the Orions I'm going to make the cases for the amps and GK-1 and then its time to listen! This next week or so I'm really going to focus and get these things finished!  :thumb:

-West

whubbard

The Orions are Done!
The Flexy Rack is Done!
The ASP is undergoing mods!?!?! (I've put in a bunch of RTX caps, and am waiting on the V-Caps and Sonicaps.)
The enclosures are up next.

I will post some photos later. I am pleased with the way the orions turned out, but I do feel that my craftmanship could have been much better if I didn't always feel so rushed for time, but heck, thats how it is.

-West

AKSAphile

Good job.

How do you plan to fix those big capacitors cans on small available place? :scratch:

whubbard

Well I've already done most of them and I'll try and take a few pics of the ASP tonight and put them up here. (I am still waiting on a few more Caps, but you will get the main idea.) It is actually very surprising how well the spaces are next to these caps, almost like a match made in heaven :)

-West

AKSA

West,

You've done a damn good job, don't beat up on yourself.  Only when you get old and slow do you take more time over things, and then it's not through pride so much as a maniacal desire to have it work first time!!    :icon_twisted:

Cheers,

Hugh

whubbard

Hugh,
That is my greatest fear; once I put it all together...Something is wrong! But, I'm going to hope everything works as it should, we'll see.

Here are some links to photos. There is the Flexy Rack, The layout of my giant 'AMP/ASP' box, some Felixes, the ASP (some caps still need to be swapped) and also some 7308 Tube Boxes. I hope to post some pics of my Orions Soon.

[Links may take a few minutes to work]
ASP
Felixs
Flexy Rack (Turtable will have a nicer 'stand' soon)
7308 Tube Boxes
AMP/ASP Box Layout
For Cleaning  :thumb:

-West

p.s. Sorry for just the bunch of links...I'm just way to tired to format it like I have before. I will fix it all later
« Last Edit: 1 Aug 2008, 12:28 pm by whubbard »

whubbard

Here a few more:
Names should explain the pictures. Sorry for the bad lighting. I will try and see if I can take some better pictures tomorrow.

Full System
One Speaker (Left)
Back of the Speaker
Midrange Mounting
Rear Tweeter Mounting
Front Baffle
For the GK-1
For the Amps
The Electronics

-West

Rom

Nice work West !  :D

pbrstreetgang

heck of a project! The Orions are great speakers and killer with the Aspens

TomS

Wow West - what a complete labor of love.  That has to be a really satisfying system.  Great work and congratulations!   :thumb:  Tom

Occam

West,

Very impressive builds!
Obviously  :roll:, I took a gander at your Felixs. If you're planning on putting one on your LF100 I highly recommend using a Miller 8120-rc for the CMC.
http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?PName?Name=M8915-ND

I use one on my LF100 and now my Soraya, and have been very pleased. To mount it on a group buy board you'll need to drill appropriate mounting holes and solder some wire bridges, but it should fit.

FWIW,
Paul

whubbard

Thanks Guys!

Paul, I am going to be using a 8118 on each of the LF channels as they will be in different boxes. I figure it will all sound very nice once I'm done  :drool:

-West

Occam

West,

That could well be the bee's knees. If you do experience any compression, you could still try the 8119, aleit with the previously mentioned minor surgurey.
Your completed system should be outstanding. :drool:
You should definitey bring it to East Coast for a NY Rave. :lol:

-Paul

AKSA

Paul,

West lives in Manhattan, so that would not be too difficult for him!

I would be really delighted if you both could meet.......

Cheers,

Hugh

Occam

Well dang..... I'd assumed West was on the left coast, dunno why :?