6 Moons BPT BP-3.5 Signature Review

John Casler

« on: 29 Oct 2003, 01:03 am »
I recently became a BPT dealer and have found the products incredible. :D

While still learning what options to suggest and how to use the products, I have been very impressed with the incredible improvement, even the lower models have made to my system.

6 Moons just published the review on the "Ultra" Flagship model the BP-3.5 "Signature" ($2400) which is not yet listed on the website.

While this is a rather hefty sum to spend on Power Conditioning, be aware all Audio Circle members get "courtesy pricing" which brings the best within reach.

Check out the review and if you have any questions let me know.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/bpt2/flagship.html

warnerwh

« Reply #1 on: 29 Oct 2003, 04:44 am »
Certainly looks like a nice product. I'd like to know how it is superior to a Powervar or Oneac conditioner?

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #2 on: 29 Oct 2003, 05:09 am »
John, I STILL maintain that I lose no dynamics when plugging my 6 x 150watt Butler 3150 amps along with the rest of my front end equipment into my tweaked out BP2.5. I think the extra headroom of 2400 watts makes the difference here. A few of Chris Hoff's tweaks have been done to my unit. I feel that to obtain the maximum benefit from a BPT is to have EVERYTHING in a system plugged in, amps included. All tho I am more than satisfied with my tweaked out BP2.5, I'd really love that faceplate for my unit!! :mrgreen: Regards, Robin

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #3 on: 29 Oct 2003, 05:15 am »
John,

Do you know how this model is different from the standard 3.5?

Would it be possible to ugrade it later?

Thanks,

George

John Casler

« Reply #4 on: 29 Oct 2003, 05:49 am »
Quote from: warnerwh
Certainly looks like a nice product. I'd like to know how it is superior to a Powervar or Oneac conditioner?

I cannot speak to the superiority of one unit to another, but the other two companies you mention seem to be primarily concerned with medical and computer equipment.

BPT is specifically designed for Audio and HT use.  This doesn't infer that the others cannot be used for audio/video apps as I know they are.

Also it seems that they are both International Companies with many, many models, where BPT is a rather small company and offers only a few basic models with a good menu of upgrades and the ability to "custom build" you personal unit.

I guess I like them because they are like VMPS and "creating and customizing your own product" has an appeal to me.

I also have access to Tripplite, Monster, Panamax, etc, through my distributors, but they don't blow my hair back. :wink:

John Casler

« Reply #5 on: 29 Oct 2003, 05:58 am »
Quote from: satfrat
John, I STILL maintain that I lose no dynamics when plugging my 6 x 150watt Butler 3150 amps along with the rest of my front end equipment into my tweaked out BP2.5.

Hi Robin,

Depending on the current draw of your amps and the capacity of their caps, I wouldn't doubt they have great dynamics.

(oops! I forgot the Butlers are tube amps  :oops: )

People interested in feeding their amps "balanced power" however should make sure and spec in an adequatly large transformer.  A 2.5 amp transformer won't keep up.

For the larger power amps that will mean at least a 15 to 20 amp capacity.

John Casler

« Reply #6 on: 29 Oct 2003, 06:43 am »
Quote from: zybar
John,

Do you know how this model is different from the standard 3.5?

Would it be possible to ugrade it later?

Thanks,

George

Hi George,

The components of the regular 3.5 are listed on the website.

The "Signature" Model has:

1) substantial sheilding of the inside of the case including liberal applications of Stillpoint's ERS stealth cloth wound around wire leads and glued to the Auricap filter capacitors that connect across each of the five duplexes.  The dampening sheets on the case and filter are a new three-layer design.

2) The NBT/LoNo transformer sports a 2-layer magnetic shield around its circumference plus a double-layer of ERS cloth for maximum EMI attenuation on the transformer's underside, and completely encapsulates HF filter which precedes the transformer.  Ditto for the AC outlets and HC filter which are also covered in ERS cloth.

3) Custom Z-Sleeve from ZCable, is used between the balanced isolation transformer and the AC outlets(which can be seen in the photos in the article) and hand-wrapped wires.

4) Cryo-treated 10-gauge, 99.99% pure silver wire

5) $399, "Signature L-9" 20-amp Litz power cord with mono-crystal copper, hi-current Fim plug, and quad sheilded

There may be a couple other improvements or changes, that I have missed here which will be listed on the website in the future.

Sa-dono

« Reply #7 on: 29 Oct 2003, 07:40 am »
Quote from: John Casler
I also have access to Tripplite, Monster, Panamax, etc, through my distributors, but they don't blow my hair back. :wink:

What hair? :lol:

On a serious note, does the 3.5 Signature have Bybees installed?

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #8 on: 29 Oct 2003, 07:45 am »
John, I STILL maintain that I lose no dynamics when plugging my 6 x 150watt Butler 3150 amps along with the rest of my front end equipment into my tweaked out BP2.5.

Hi Robin,

Depending on the current draw of your amps and the capacity of their caps, I wouldn't doubt they have great dynamics.

(oops! I forgot the Butlers are tube amps  :oops: )

People interested in feeding their amps "balanced power" however should make sure and spec in an adequatly large transformer.  A ...
        I know you weren't referring to my BP2.5 as being a 2.5 amp transformer John but that's kinda what it sounds like. The BP2.5 is a 20 amp 2400 watt rated capacity transformer that will handle most high wattage amps and then some. Granted for optimun performance, it's said that you should stay at about 1/2 the rated transformer capacity or 1200 watts in my case, but that's not to say that you'll lose dynamics if you max out the tranny. Now if you saturate the thing, that's a different ballgame. Chris Hoff told me that so long as the 20 amp circuitbreaker didn't pop, my tweaked out BP2.5 would handle anything I threw at it. So far that's held true. BTW, I had TRT Dynamicaps placed on my Hubbel's instead of Auricaps, just to be different. :lol: I also use Mapleshade's Component Support System for my BPT (a la Signature) and have lined the interior casing including the Bybee's with Stillpoint's ERS. The extra dampening sounds like an interesting thought, if there's any room in there for more. I don't remember as there being much. Chris has definitely been busy tweaking since doing up mine the first of the year. Congratulations to Chris Hoff for a well deserved review from 6 Moons! :thumb: :thumb: Regards, Robin

Mad DOg

« Reply #9 on: 29 Oct 2003, 09:28 am »
...I STILL maintain that I lose no dynamics when plugging my 6 x 150watt Butler 3150 amps along with the rest of my front end equipment into my tweaked out BP2.5...

maybe that explains why you're not getting any of the excessive brightness Sa-dono and I heard from the Butler at my place...John, Sa-dono, and I all hear the loss in dynamics with bybees in our systems. i wouldn't doubt that the Butler would sound just perfect w/ a few bybees to tone down the highs. so as they say, system synergy is what counts here. i'm glad you've found yours! :)

John Casler

« Reply #10 on: 29 Oct 2003, 02:25 pm »
Quote from: Sa-dono

What hair? :lol:

On a serious note, does the 3.5 Signature have Bybees installed?

Well, I still have a couple strands, and they "are" very hard to blow back :lol:

To my knowledge, the standard BP3.5 has bybees, but the Signature 3.5 does not.

John Casler

« Reply #11 on: 29 Oct 2003, 02:37 pm »
I know you weren't referring to my BP2.5 as being a 2.5 amp transformer John but that's kinda what it sounds like.

Sorry, I was actually refering to the BP Jr. The amp ratings are as follows:

BP Jr = 2.5amps
BP 1 = 7.5amps
BP 2 = 15 amps
BP2.5 = 20amps
BP3.5 = 20amps

The BP 3, and BP 4, feature multiple transformers and seperate lines for those who like to totally isolate certain components, or seperate digital, analog and video power, etc

John Casler

BPT website updated with "Signature" Upgrades
« Reply #12 on: 30 Oct 2003, 04:43 pm »
The BPT website has just been updated to reflect the "Signature" upgrade features and components.

Since the 6 Moons review, both Chris' and my phone has been ringing off the hook.

I have placed twice as many orders in two days, than in the last 3 months. :o  :mrgreen:

But, the review is of the "Signature" 3.5 and all the accompanying features and components.

Now, the "Signature" package is available on "ALL" the single transformer models, which means you can get similar performance without having to get the big "20 amper"

If you have any questions call or post me.

Horsehead

« Reply #13 on: 8 Nov 2003, 01:33 am »
BPT website has a new look!  Can't wait for my 3.5 Sig to arrive!
http://www.b-p-t.com

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #14 on: 8 Nov 2003, 04:33 am »
My new silver laser engraved 1/4" thick aluninum faceplate was sent out today to be retrofitted for my BP2.5 and I'm psyched! It'll give me the chance to double up on the interior dampening material and Stillpoints ERS that I had already applied earlier this summer. At that time, I had failed to include the capacitors, Hubbels, HO noise filter, or transformer wiring with ERS. Damn if I wouldn't like to have the whole unit sent out to be cryoed. :o But then again, no matter what I do to it, it'll never be a BP3.5 Signature with Plitron's NBT LoNo transformer. I think I'll survive,,, :wink: Regards, Robin