ModWright Transporter Cabling......!

rpf

Re: ModWright Transporter Cabling......!
« Reply #20 on: 9 Jul 2008, 03:21 pm »
FWIW, I find Rhodium to be very forward and to add a "glaze" to the sound. This experience has held with PCs, ICs, Spkr. cables and outlets. YMMV.

hhhmmm. Thanks Rob. So do you have the SG series? the copper and gold combination?

Yep. Don't like silver connectors (or most silver wire - not that I've heard everything and Valhalla aside) either: find it produces dry highs, esp. with SS gear. Haven't heard the Black Sands silver PCs.

schw06

« Reply #21 on: 28 Oct 2008, 03:50 pm »
Anyone have an update? I am going to be running a Modwright TP directly in to nuforce 9sev2's and am considering the lessloss and Black Sand Violet ZII cords for the TP.  Opinons are appreciated.

rydenfan

« Reply #22 on: 5 Dec 2008, 03:08 am »
With all the TP upgrade talk, I thought I would change the subject for a few...

I have been breaking in and trying out a Cardas Golden Reference Power Cord. It is still too new in the system to say too much but I thought I would share some initial thoughts. Right off the bat I would say this cord defines neutrality. It also has an extremely black and deep backround. Seems to have very good dynamics and soundstaging but still sounds just a bit closed in right now. I would say this is the most un-power cord I have had in my system  :scratch: By that I mean that it seems to not impart any sonic signature of its own and just let the sound flow through, which is exactly what I am looking for in a PC. I have my Black Sands Violet to compare it against and the LessLoss that I typically use (although on loan to a friend right now). Anyway, more to follow in the coming weeks but that I would share some first impressions. Please keep in mind the cord only has about 10 hours or so on it right now.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #23 on: 5 Dec 2008, 03:16 am »
I use the Lessloss on my TP (an like ti very much), but am very interested in Rydenfan's eval.  I'm speaking with his dealer asap to try those pc's on my Spectron monos.  Seems their bandwidth is second to none.

« Last Edit: 5 Dec 2008, 05:31 am by ted_b »

rydenfan

« Reply #24 on: 5 Dec 2008, 03:23 am »
I think you will love this cord there  :thumb: The inner detail and dynamics is quite impressive as well. Also I cant get over how black and quiet the system feels.

The LessLoss is my reference cord as well on the TP. I just have it out on loan currently so cant do an A/B just yet. All in good time I guess, but patience is not my strong suit  :wink:

kenreau

« Reply #25 on: 5 Dec 2008, 04:06 am »
I think you will love this cord there  :thumb: The inner detail and dynamics is quite impressive as well. Also I cant get over how black and quiet the system feels.

The LessLoss is my reference cord as well on the TP. I just have it out on loan currently so cant do an A/B just yet. All in good time I guess, but patience is not my strong suit  :wink:

I'm going to run another favorite power cord up the flag pole, the "Silent Source" pc cables rep'd by Lloyd Walker.  Lloyd had some demo cables after CES one year and was raving about them so I bought a couple.  Imho, if Lloyd uses and recommends something, I listen and drink the Koolaid.  I've had mine for about 3 years now and felt no need to change.  I have Cardas GR on amps and 36.5 but use the Silent Source PC's on the TP and my PS3 (way overkill I know).  I played around some with an Audience, Black Mamba and Acoustic Zen but didn't hear anything that was superior. 

http://www.walkeraudio.com/silent_source_cables.htm

The Lossless certainly sounds appealing to check out.  I live in the general neighborhood as Dan W, so maybe after CES is past I will make an effort to compare this with his Lessloss pc's.

Ciao,
Kenreau

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #26 on: 5 Dec 2008, 04:59 am »
Wow, those are some cables Kenreau!   :drool:  Lloyd is one man who is not afraid to speak his mind, and to follow his advice is as close to a no-brainer as there is in this hobby.

jwes

« Reply #27 on: 5 Dec 2008, 05:29 am »
Virtual Dynamics has an interesting new offering in their CT series: a stripped down version of their more
expensive stuff. CT6 (6 gauge) is equivalent to Revelation 2.0 but without a couple of treatments for a small fraction of the price. They name it Core Technology to say that all the technology that really makes an impact is in these cables. But I haven't heard their primary offering (Revelation in the case of CT6). Curious what folks think of this or if you are familiar with the sound. Could be a great deal.

kenreau

« Reply #28 on: 6 Dec 2008, 02:05 am »
Wow, those are some cables Kenreau!   :drool:  Lloyd is one man who is not afraid to speak his mind, and to follow his advice is as close to a no-brainer as there is in this hobby.

Fwiw, the agon/preowned prices for the Silent Source pc's are in the ~$400 range for the standard models (I use).  I noticed the newer ceramic connectors are significantly higher. 

Best regards,
Kenreau
« Last Edit: 6 Dec 2008, 03:37 pm by kenreau »

cAsE sEnSiTiVe

« Reply #29 on: 12 Dec 2008, 05:28 pm »
I have used in the past on the TP, a Cardas Golden Reference, and the Lessloss AC cords. The Tel Wire I am using now, has bested both, IMHO. I was so impressed I bought another to run from the wall to my Acoustic Revive conditioner. It's a great cord, and priced right in there with the Lessloss and the Cardas. Neutrality is amazing, amazingly silent backgrounds, ooodles of detail presented in a most relaxing manner. A keeper in my book. Best thing of all?? Very flexible!

rydenfan

« Reply #30 on: 13 Dec 2008, 03:11 am »
I have always heard good things about the TelWires, I will have to try one out.

My dealer who I picked up my Cardas References from really likes the combo of the Cardas on the amp and pre-amp and a particular Acrolink with the special order Oyaide 004 connector(thought by many to be the best connector) cord on the source. He is going to send me his demo so I will be comparing it against the TP over the next few weeks...

tomm

« Reply #31 on: 19 Dec 2008, 08:34 pm »
I have a stock Transporter & MW LS36.5.  And I use to have a MW Sony 9100ES, planning on getting an up to date Blu-Ray and have been bugging Dan if he is planning on modding any of the Blu-Rays.  Right now I am using  Bogdan audio Goldy cables.  I found these cables to produce clean sound, clean details.  I have some Lessloss AC cables, but I prefer the Goldys. The Goldy cables has been out around for about a month, they are being introduced at the AudioGon auction for a very good price now.

rydenfan

« Reply #32 on: 19 Dec 2008, 09:27 pm »
I have always heard good things about the TelWires, I will have to try one out.

My dealer who I picked up my Cardas References from really likes the combo of the Cardas on the amp and pre-amp and a particular Acrolink with the special order Oyaide 004 connector(thought by many to be the best connector) cord on the source. He is going to send me his demo so I will be comparing it against the TP over the next few weeks...

Just as an update I have had this cord for a few days and early reports are very good. It still needs more burn-in time to draw any real conclusions. I also have a TelWire on the way and will be doing a little power cord shootout on the Transporter over the next few weeks. I will obviously update as I listen for more extended time.

rydenfan

« Reply #33 on: 1 Jan 2009, 06:38 pm »
Guys, please see some of my thoughts from my recent power cord auditions here:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=63272.0

I can also re-post it here if people prefer...

cAsE sEnSiTiVe

« Reply #34 on: 3 Jan 2009, 02:46 pm »
Glad to see you're enjoying the Tel Wire!

deutscherhififan

• Life is a beach
« Reply #35 on: 22 Jun 2009, 03:23 am »
I have a question for Dan. Recently, I came across a recent show report that featured Dan's new amp, the TP, and two box preamp. In the article, it was said that Dan uses Vodoo cables throughout. Hence, my questions are:

- how far did you go up in the Vodoo food chain?
- what made you select Vodoo cables throughout?
- do Vodoo cables have any specific synergies with Modwright gear that we should know about?
- what other cable brands are your personal favorites?

Thanks, much appreciated.

modwright

« Reply #36 on: 23 Jun 2009, 04:06 am »
I have and use the VooDoo Stradivarius and like them very much.  I use their analog IC's here in my personal system.  I like to use their Silver Reference between my phono stage and preamp for its very low capacitance and open sound.  This cable is really fabulous all around!

I also have Diamond Dragon and Silver Dragon power cords.

Other cables that I am fond of include Ridge Street Audio - top of the line silver speaker cables.

LessLoss Power cables.

Thanks,

Dan W.

jwes

« Reply #37 on: 13 Jul 2009, 02:03 am »
Hi everyone,

I understand from several postings (likely in the famous tube rolling thread) that a direct ethernet connection from a computer might be better than the wireless connection.  Well, I've been using wireless networking on my Transporter, and I'm thinking of going to a Mac mini direct connection.  So, my question is: other than using as short as possible of a lead, is there any such thing as a better or worse ethernet cable to hook into the Transporter?  (FYI - still loving my EML with TS round plates!!!)  :).  Thanks in advance for any comments...

Jim

jwes

« Reply #38 on: 13 Jul 2009, 02:05 am »
By the way, I've been having outstanding results from a small firm's cabling: Franck Tchang's liveline series.  I'm all in with interconnects, speaker, and power cables.  Don't know what the price is now, but these are phenomenal.  6Moons has a review or two on these.

Jim

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #39 on: 13 Jul 2009, 02:12 am »
Yes, the Livelines are getting great reviews.  David (Rydenfan) listend to Art's demo pair (from Jam'n Joe) and loved them source to pre.  Franck is quite the designer.  David and I are both talking about grabbing some.

As for ethernet cables, no it makes little difference due to how the streaming packets work.  Just get something that has a nice solid set of connectors.  Mu $.02  (Note: I did have an issue with ethernet cabling for my Denon Link multichannel connection from the Modwright 3910 to my processor and realized the hum and dimmer/fridge/etc induced buzzing was coming from the fact that i ordered a completely shielded Cat6 cable that had metal connectors at both ends.  I replaced it with the same unshielded version and all noise went away.  Go figure.)