Torus - Power Draw From Bryston Amps

Gary Listen

• Listen Law Office
Re: Torus - Power Draw From Bryston Amps
« Reply #20 on: 3 Jun 2008, 08:40 pm »
Thanks James...The reason I questioned this was because this particular company was using the following connectors on their products:

15 amp cable (15 amp U.S. plug with 10 amp IEC);

20 amp cable (15 amp U.S. plug with 20 amp IEC).

I was curiuos if the 15 amp cable could deliver 15 amps with a 10 amp IEC and if the 20 amp cable could deliver 20 amps with a 15 amp U.S. plug.  They gave me the response I set forth above.

I don't have any 30 amp breakers in the dedicated lines I use for my system.  They are all 20 amp breakers with double runs of 10 gauge wire connected to a 20 amp duplex outlet.  I was concerned that the 10 amp IEC on the 15 amp cable and the 15 amp U.S. plug on the 20 amp cable might be restricting the flow of current.  I'm guessing by their response as well as yours that the connectors would not be a problem. 

Thanks again for your quick response.

Gary

KeithA

Re: Torus - Power Draw From Bryston Amps
« Reply #21 on: 3 Jun 2008, 08:47 pm »
Thanks James...The reason I questioned this was because this particular company was using the following connectors on their products:

15 amp cable (15 amp U.S. plug with 10 amp IEC);

20 amp cable (15 amp U.S. plug with 20 amp IEC).

I was curiuos if the 15 amp cable could deliver 15 amps with a 10 amp IEC and if the 20 amp cable could deliver 20 amps with a 15 amp U.S. plug.  They gave me the response I set forth above.

I don't have any 30 amp breakers in the dedicated lines I use for my system.  They are all 20 amp breakers with double runs of 10 gauge wire connected to a 20 amp duplex outlet.  I was concerned that the 10 amp IEC on the 15 amp cable and the 15 amp U.S. plug on the 20 amp cable might be restricting the flow of current.  I'm guessing by their response as well as yours that the connectors would not be a problem. 

Thanks again for your quick response.

Gary

Gary

The only thing that would/could restrict current flow would the the contact resistence of the connectors (which is usually correlated to the build quality and build materials of the connectors).

So, even though a 15 amp receptacle can theoretically let out in excess of 15 amps, a better quality receptacle could allow more and free flowing current. I suspect this is one of the things 'after-market' cable companies concentrate on. So, one 15 amp connector/ receptable may theoretically be better than another (for example, in a simple example, a hospital grade receptacle vs a standard receptacle).

Keith