Cornets and Hammond Transformers

RogueAngel

« on: 25 Oct 2003, 11:48 pm »
:evil:

Okay now there are three of us with transformers that went bad under very similar circumstances. I had just finished listening to a couple of albums and everthing was fine. I left it on while I ate dinner..... about an hour after dinner....... big puff of smoke and a nasty smell.

After removing and checking the diodes and capacitors, I dtermine it's the transformer. It was a Hammond 370BX purchased from Angela Instruments.

Luckily I hadn't sold my old phono stage..... But three of us within a week. Something is wrong here.

Is there any other game in town for transformers?

mgalusha

« Reply #1 on: 26 Oct 2003, 01:13 am »
Sorry to hear that. So far <knock on wood> mine has been trouble free. It has been left on for extended periods. I left it on for a solid week connected to the FryKleaner/Inverse RIAA when it was first built. The only difference is I have the 270BX and you mentioned the 370BX. Do you know if the other failures were with the 370BX or the 270BX.

As for alternatives, you could have one custom made. I had Victoria Magnetics wind some last year and they have proven to be very good. The cost was $88 per transformer but they were considerably larger than what you would need for the Cornet, so the price may be less. I'm just guessing, you would need to contact them with the specs. The Hammond 270BX has three windings. 550V center tapped @ 50mA, 5V @ 2A and 6.3V @ 2A. There may be other manufactures offering stock transformers with those specs, hard to say without some searching. You could use multiple transformers but that gets expensive in a hurry.

Really sucks about the problems you are having. I've about 6 Hammond transformers in the house and have had zero problems with any of them. I wonder if there was a bad manufacturing run? You might give Hammond a call and explain the situation and perhaps they can offer a solution.

Mike G.

clivem

• http://www.vacuumtube.org.uk
« Reply #2 on: 26 Oct 2003, 01:50 pm »
I've been using a 370BX that I bought from Angela about a year ago. No problems with mine and it has been used pretty much constantly. Perhaps Hammond produced a bad batch.

Regards

Clive

RogueAngel

Back in operation
« Reply #3 on: 31 Oct 2003, 03:25 pm »
Well, the new transformer was installed last night, another 370BX from Hammond. I used another sourcein an attempt to lessen the chance of getting another one from the same production run.

It is operating fine now, but I'm taking a wait and see attitude until I have quite a few more hours on it.

I added the CCS mod at the same time I replaced the transformer.

Just hoping it runs long enough to break-in so my partner will stop accusing me of trying to burn the house down.  :roll:

Bobbi

hagtech

I thought maybe a transient...
« Reply #4 on: 26 Nov 2003, 04:21 am »
I've been trying to track this problem down.  No clear common denominator yet.  I was able to check out one of the bad trannies, which measured ok for resistasnce & inductance.  It was only when I put it on a variac to power up that it would go funny and blow a fuse.  I think there is a break in insulation somewhere in the primary coils.  Once a certain voltage was exceeded (in this case about 40Vac) the short made connection via arc causing a drop in inductance (shorted turns).

One earlier suggestion was to put a 0.01uF cap across the ac switch to eliminate the slight "pop" that was heard during turnoff.  I thought maybe there was a bit of an inductive kick (back EMF) from the abrupt break in circuit.  The cap would help to lower the resonant frequency to a point where any spike was snubbed.  Actually, the best place to put the cap is right across the black primary wires of the tranny.  Please note, this must be an ac-rated cap especially designed for ac mains.

Got out my digital scope and tried to capture any transients on the primary of a Cornet.  Odd, I was not able to trigger on anything during powerdown, but only on power up.  First photo shows an unmodified Cornet.

I was able to regularly catch a few spikes that were about double the nominal input peak.  It all depends on where in the ac cycle you happen to make contact.  I added a special 0.01uF cap across the switch (not quite same as primaries, but way easier to implement) and the spikes were reduced a bit.

Not sure if this is that much of an improvement.  It isn't exactly the smoking gun I was hoping for.  Still, it did remove the audible "pop".  And it might just be enough to help if this really is the core problem.

So just to be safe, I am mailing out special capacitors to all Cornet owners for retrofit.  With luck it will prevent any more Hammond failures.

jh :)

penance

« Reply #5 on: 26 Nov 2003, 08:27 am »
added bonus of some common noise rejection as well :)

Doc Jr 8156

« Reply #6 on: 26 Nov 2003, 04:39 pm »
Jim,

Thanks for your concern for us Cornet owners.  Your customer service and support is greatly appreciated.  That's why we love Hagtech.

RogueAngel

Thanks Jim!
« Reply #7 on: 4 Dec 2003, 12:55 am »
Now that's what I call great customer service. I received my cap in the mail today. Hope to install this weekend.

Thanks,

Bobbi

GRD

« Reply #8 on: 4 Dec 2003, 01:04 am »
Couldn't agree more.  Received mine Saturday.

mgalusha

« Reply #9 on: 6 Dec 2003, 12:17 am »
Kudo's to Jim for great customer support! I received my cap today as well.

I have never had any problems with the transformer in my Cornet but I installed a cap like this across the power switch almost immediately after building it. Not because had any inkling that it would help the transformer but because I didn't want the turn on/turn off pop. In my system it caused a pop even if that input wasn't selected on the preamp. The cap cured the noise and looks like it had a nice side benefit.

This is why I prefer doing business with manufacturers who sell direct.  :thumb:  :thumb:

Mike G.