Bob Dylan 15CD SACD Box Set

Tbadder1

« on: 25 Oct 2003, 04:21 pm »
Just got it yesterday.  Out of the box I was stunned, more so then the Stones reissues on hybrid SACD.  Pretty good price too, 159 bucks at Best Buy.  I'll post my impressions next weekend as it'll take me that long to listen to them all.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #1 on: 25 Oct 2003, 05:05 pm »
yeah this could make someone invest in SACD. Looks like a real momentum is building. But is it all Sony Records?

PeteG

« Reply #2 on: 25 Oct 2003, 06:54 pm »
I think you'll be very happy with the Dylan SACD set. I wish I could
pick the whole set up too but I got "OH MERCY" & FreeWheelin' and
they sound great.

SWG255

Bob Dylan SACD box at Best Buy?
« Reply #3 on: 26 Oct 2003, 01:10 am »
Hi,

Do you remember if the Bob Dylan SACD box set was with the single SACDs or back where Best Buy usually keeps the box set CDs? I was looking for it in my local store and didn't see it. And heaven forbid one would try to get knowledgeable help from a blue shirted employee about it!

Thanks.

Tbadder1

« Reply #4 on: 26 Oct 2003, 06:14 am »
I found my by the Box Sets

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 26 Oct 2003, 05:46 pm »
Makes me wish I liked Dylan. :lol:   Hopefully there'll be more sets of this type coming out.

SWG255

« Reply #6 on: 27 Oct 2003, 03:14 am »
Thanks, I'll have a look there next time I'm in the Best Buy down the street.

Quote from: Tbadder1
I found my by the Box Sets

Tbadder1

« Reply #7 on: 2 Nov 2003, 01:09 am »
Okay here we go...

I can't tell you how much I enjoyed this box set, and how suspicious of SACD I now am.  First let me say I got into SACD early and big, and still believe in it.  I recommend it to everyone.

I am lucky enough to compare some of these recordings on 16/44, SACD, and LP.  Well 16/44 sucks and we all know it.  I mean poor Bob is nasally enough but this just emphasizes it all the more. In addition, the instrumentation is completely 2-D, with an over-emphasis on vocals.

The SACD was definitely better than the LP.  As good as the LPs were, and lets face it, they weren't that good, the SACD just exudes musicality.  Now Bob Dylan has never been musical in my book even though he's one from my handful of favorite artists.

On LP Bob's various groups and studio musicians always take a backseat, but they remain plausible, authentic.  Their presence is justified and supportive.  On 16/44 they're smeared across whatever soundstage is there, but on SACD the various instruments have placement, inexact, vague at times, but there's a general vicinity and a greater sense of musical truth.  There is an "eventness" to the songs in LP and SACD, but moreso in SACD.

Vocally, SACD is the clear winner, and not by a little.  But it is also what's wrong about these SACD discs as well.  Dylan loses half of the gristle from his voice.  The vocals are rounded, in a tubey way, but with far more detail.  This natural contradiction of taking away, but adding seems to be an engineering choice and not a simple unmasking of reality.  Don't get me wrong, his voice is still Bob Dylan's voice--ugly and compelling, but changed.

If these discs didn't sound so good I'd trust them more.  But the level enjoyment is way, way up.  I can live with my suspicions now, though I'll have to get use to enjoying Dylan.  I never really listened to him before for pleasure.  Somehow I think he'd be a little pissed if he found out everyone was just tickled pink about the recreation of his work.

Peace Love Dope
Dan