What could be causing this tube noise?

Carlman

« on: 23 Oct 2003, 08:02 pm »
I have an Audible Illusions 2-D that uses 4 6DJ8 tubes.  It was modded by Chimera labs a few years ago with 'Auricaps' and some other upgrades.  This pre uses 2 tubes for L&R high level inputs and 2 additional tubes are used for L&R phono inputs so, 4 tubes are being 'heard' when playing records.  So, I expect a bit more noise when on the phono input.....

However, the left channel is noticeably louder... it produces a rough staticky noise.  The right channel does the same noise but, a bit lower.  I tried swapping tubes and then replacing with new ones.  Everything was fixed when I used new tubes but, after a half hour of playing, the noise was back, and just as loud as before.

I'm using Amperex Orange Globe tubes normally and to test I'm using some Bugle Boys I just got as well.  The high-level inputs are almost dead quiet... they have a small amount of hiss which is very low and not detectible from the listening position.

What would cause the scratchy static noise only on phono?  I'll try anything to fix it.  The records sound incredible through it...

Thanks,
Carl

JohnR

« Reply #1 on: 23 Oct 2003, 10:59 pm »
I suspect a poor connection on the socket  :idea:

Carlman

« Reply #2 on: 24 Oct 2003, 02:58 am »
It sounds like dirty pins so, I cleaned them with a Dremel tool.  Sounds good so far but I feel certain the noise will be back... Time to start shopping for new sockets.  Glad to know that's probably all it is.

Thanks!

Carlman

So, does anyone have suggestions on tube sockets.......
« Reply #3 on: 24 Oct 2003, 02:39 pm »
Anyone know if there's anything better than the tube sockets that Percy Audio sells?  He's got a $6 socket that looks good, ceramic with gold plated connections... (www.percyaudio.com)

KKM

« Reply #4 on: 24 Oct 2003, 03:03 pm »
Not sure if better, but probably cheaper:

http://partsconnexion.com/catalog/tubesockets.html