Any recommendations on a stand-alone CD recorder?

2gumby2

Any recommendations on a stand-alone CD recorder?
« on: 26 May 2008, 02:47 pm »
My Onkyo CD recorder died and I'm seeking recommendations for a stand-alone CD recorder. The Onkyo was a real piece of junk so I will not consider the Onkyo brand. I've looked at the Sony and Teac, but I'm not really interested in those brands either. The Yamaha CDR-HD1500 and the Denon CDR-W1500 appear to be nice units with some good features, but I am seeking recommendations from the members here for other options, or opinions on the Yamaha and Denon.

drummermitchell

Re: Any recommendations on a stand-alone CD recorder?
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2008, 03:30 pm »
I use a HHB cdr recorder 830,(British)she's been good to me for 3 yrs or better.
Bought at Long&mcquade Ltd(musicians retail store).
Analog,digital,inputs and outputs cd text.No balanced connections
on this one,they have another model with both balanced and rca.
$800 -1000.Long&mcquade stores are in T.O,VANCOUVER,Edmonton,CALGARY
and I believe Winnepeg.Solidly built and records very well and doubles as a
CDP.Meant more for studio and roadworthy applications. :D

Charles Calkins

« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2008, 03:44 pm »
Partsexpress.com sells Tascam CD recorders.

Cheers
                                      Charlie

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2008, 04:16 pm »
My Philips CDR 765 is about ready to crap out and I was looking at the Yamaha. Nice that it has a large harddrive built in. I still am muffed that some stand-alone CD recorders still require the music version of the CD-R as opposed to the cheaper media CD-R which any computer can handle. I don't see how royalty fees come into play with one format vs the other. It's just plain stupid.

Wayner

RichardS

« Reply #4 on: 26 May 2008, 04:32 pm »
I've used a Tascam CD-RW2000 for several years and been very happy with it (can use CD-R). The newer Tascam CD-RW900(SL) and CD-RW901SL look really nice, at slightly different price-points.

DustyC

« Reply #5 on: 26 May 2008, 04:34 pm »
The music servers from Olive have big hard drives (750meg) can record, and can be controlled from your computer if you choose to do so.

lazydays

« Reply #6 on: 26 May 2008, 06:44 pm »
I've been kind of interested in the Korg 1000, but will wait to see what it's really like.
gary

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #7 on: 26 May 2008, 08:41 pm »
You've got the Superscope 300/340 recorders.
Quite good connectivity I believe. Some reviews.

A Swiss army knife that player/recorder. There is a Marantz 420 version of this as well with a 20 Gig HD built in.
-
Then you got your relatively cheap Fostex cd-r/rw machines that can also make master discs... and will record up to 24/96 quality!
The HHB-CDR830 is a good machine as well of course. Marantz and Yamaha has some good models as well.

But, I think the fostex is probably a very good choice! It can burn discs in a variety of styles and on a number of types of discs.
CD-DA (CD rec/repro), ISO9660 (CD-ROM, repro. only), UDF ver.1.02 (CD-ROM, rec/repro) File Format CD-DA, BWF-P

Also, recording media that is CD-R's should have Phthalocyanine dye, that makes for extra long life an a better quality of the disc.
The Phthalocyanine dye also reacts quicker to the laser and creates the pit faster and with more sharply outlined boundaries.
Now you know...  :thumb:

Imperial
« Last Edit: 26 May 2008, 10:19 pm by Imperial »

Scottdazzle

« Reply #8 on: 26 May 2008, 10:43 pm »
I used to own the Denon CDR-W1500 and currently own the Yamaha CDR-HD1300.  The Yamaha wins hands down over the Denon.  As I rarely use the Yamaha, pm me if you might be interested in it. I plan to put it on Agon soon but I'd prefer an AC'er get the first shot.  Fwiw, the Alesis Masterlink 9600 is better than either the Denon or the Yamaha.

2gumby2

« Reply #9 on: 27 May 2008, 03:24 am »
Scotthobby - PM sent.

Imperial - How do I know if the CDR Audio discs have the Phthalocyanine dye you mentioned? I am currently using Pleomax by Samsung, but the label does not mention any details about the disc properties.

Wayner - I'm also unhappy about having to buy the more expensive CDR Audio discs, but my computer does not have a CD burner and I'm not interested in buying another computer now. I have a stock of about 375 CDR Audio discs so they may last me a while.

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #10 on: 27 May 2008, 09:42 pm »
The dye yeah. it's usually green. If your discs are green on the write side, you know.
Skip the rest here if that's all you needed to know... but there is a bit more to this..
Well, I might have been to insistant there, anyway... on the dye issue.  :oops:
After probing a google cache buffer I came up with this Worth reading!

Also, the site http://www.cdfreaks.com/ could be a good place to have peek-a-boo  :D
I think you could re post your question there.

I mean, if I buy a burner, I actually use a Plextor internal DVD burner for CD-r burning it's a Plextor 760A IDE, the reason being that getting the right burner for ones need is a great way to avoid frustrating moments!!!
The plextor can burn using ANY disc, but it must sit indside a computer... not very handy now. But I like this one -it has a trick
up it's sleeve...it scans the disc, determines how to best burn it, and then remembers this type of disc for later, how do you like that?  :thumb:

When you get a recorder, it might have a preference for a certain type of disc, not only a dye and so on.
Knowing what recorder AND what type of disc/make/model -recording media makes for a good package combined... could be
uhm, a great approach...

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f33/cyanine-vs-phthalocyanine-dye-69123/ Here's a debate over dye's...
Over at the tech heads forum... http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=45551 an interesting thread indeed.

Imperial
« Last Edit: 27 May 2008, 10:41 pm by Imperial »