To Kill a King

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
To Kill a King
« on: 26 May 2008, 06:09 am »
I just watched To Kill a King on DVD a couple nites ago.  This one managed to fly under my radar, which is surprising with period peices (I usually keep an eye out for them).  It tells the story of Oliver Cromwell and his commander and friend as they fought a revolutionary war to curb the powers of an abusive and tyranical king.  While it must not have caused a ripple at the box office I thought it was a well written and acted film.  The always engaging Tim Roth plays Cromwell and the rest of the cast is very fine as well.

I'm not sure about the films historical accuracy in portraying the English Civil War; I do know historically that King Charles I was executed and Cromwell eventually reigning as "Lord Protector."  I also know that loyalists eventually returned heirs of the monarchy to the throne.  Inasmuch the basic facts are portrayed the film is true to history.  However I don't know enough about the history of the time to know if the personalities and motivations of the players are accurately portrayed.  Still, I think it succeeds admirably as a movie and I enjoyed it very much.