Trouble with power supply star earth connection

JimB

« on: 21 Oct 2003, 09:13 pm »
I'm nearing the hook up and testing phase on my AKSA 100n. I have now encountered a problem with how to anchor the star earth connection on the power supply board. If I'm supposed to use a 3mm nut and bolt I'll first have to drill the 2mm hole bigger, and then feeding a bolt from the capacitor side of the board will be tricky because the capacitors are in the way. Should I use a 3mm tapping screw and just bore in from the copper side? Is the board thick enough to hold a tapping screw?

Any help is greatly appreciated -- Thank you

AKSA

« Reply #1 on: 21 Oct 2003, 10:11 pm »
Jim,

A self tapper is not recommended at all;  the pcb is not thick enough.

Drilling a 1/8" (3.2mm) hole right in the middle of the ps pcb is pretty easy.  The position is clearly indicated in the diagram supplied.

Feeding the bolt through is simple with long-nosed pliers.  Using the bolt supplied, attach it to the end of the pliers, and thread it up from the capacitor side into the hole.  Hold the pcb above your head so you can see the hole under strong light.  Once the end peeks through, grasp it with your fingers.

The philips head bolt supplied can be easily screwed tight with flat end pliers on the copper side and a suitable screwdriver on the cap side.  It's fiddly, but by no means insurmountable.

Cheers,

Hugh

andyr

« Reply #2 on: 22 Oct 2003, 12:49 am »
And when you make your next AKSA, Jim, it's best to put that bolt in first - with a spring washer and nut, to keep it tight - B4 you put the PS caps around it.  :idea:

That way, the bolt is sticking up ready to take the lugs from all the speaker returns etc., when you turn the PS PCB.

Regards,

Andy