Subwoofers

Brax

Subwoofers
« on: 23 May 2008, 06:24 pm »
I have been asked for advice on buying a subwoofer from a friend of mine, don’t ask me why, it seems like it’s the blind leading the blind….

I built my last subwoofer about 5 years ago so I have been out of the loop on the latest offerings. The first two brands that come to mind are VMPS and SVS. My first sub was an SVS 16-46 PC Plus and I am now running RM 40 fronts, so I have respect for both companies. As I researched what was available today from both companies I see that the SVS 16-46 PC Ultra and the powered VMPS Larger with the VSS driver upgrade compare in price fairly close.

Just so I am clear on this, the VMPS Larger with the 15” VSS upgrade is built using the standard Larger cabinet but with only the 15” VSS driver and a 15” down firing passive radiator, the 12” driver is omitted and assume the hole for this driver is not cut into the cabinet. (I know on an upgrade of existing Largers, a plug was put into place) I looked on the web site but there is no picture of this configuration. Is the 1000w amp for the powered version a separate component or is it built into the cabinet?

I have read in previous posts that the VMPS was better at music and the SVS better at movies. This was based on fast/tight bass versus maximum output. But these conclusions were drawn on the old drivers from both companies. How does the Larger with the new VSS 15” driver and the 1000w amp compare to the SVS PC Ultra with their new 13.5” driver?

These setups are priced to within $50 dollars of each other (not including shipping) so these two should match up well. The system it will be used in is 90% HT and will be in a 30 x 15 room with 9 foot ceilings. Or would it be better to run 2 unpowered Largers off a Crown amp for this size room?

Early B.

Re: Subwoofers
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2008, 06:31 pm »
For that room size, I'd recommend two unpowered VMPS Largers, especially for 95% HT. That would be killer!!

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2008, 06:39 pm »
The Larger with the VSS driver moves more than twice the air of a single 13.5" driver and should work well for HT.

We use compound drivers for lower distortion in the first two octaves.

The 12" cutout is plugged when you order the Larger with the VSS driver.  We also include BH5/SR71 cabinet damping at no extra charge. Lite and dark oak, cherry and gloss black finishes are in stock.

Brax

« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2008, 11:26 pm »
When upgrading to the VSS driver, are you gaining more output or a lower response or both. Are there and spec's or test results I can use to compare it to the standard Larger?

Brian Cheney

« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2008, 01:20 am »
There's not much measured difference in the Larger with the driver upgrade.  The curves look pretty much the same in the nearfield.  In the room, however, the VSS driver sounds much more authorative with its stiffer, kevlar-reinforced paper cone and cleaner, with double the Xmax of the 75oz poly Megawoofer. 

So, although the measurements are close, the sound is distinctly different and better with the upgrade, which is why we offer it.

B

Early B.

« Reply #5 on: 25 May 2008, 01:46 am »
Brian --

Will the 15" VSS ULTRA-Megawoofer upgrade work in the 215 sub?

Brian Cheney

« Reply #6 on: 25 May 2008, 02:47 am »
Yes, with equally good results.

B

Mack

« Reply #7 on: 26 May 2008, 03:28 am »
I would say the Ultra Mega woofer will make a difference in the sub- I completed an upgrade in the Super Tower III a month ago and it sounds deeper and has more authority. I am driving these with a pair of MC 1.2KW amplifiers.  aa