grilling asparagus

MaxCast

grilling asparagus
« on: 23 May 2008, 03:04 pm »
How do you grill asparagus?  Temp, coating, seasoning, time.

Thanks

BobM

Re: grilling asparagus
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2008, 03:39 pm »
I've found that it is best to get one of those grilling racks that lets you clamp them down so they don't fall through the grate. Also works well for Zucchini and other veggies.

We use Italian dressing on them and grill till they have a few black marks on them.

Enjoy,
Bob

mcullinan

« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2008, 03:40 pm »
GArlic, olive oil, Salt and Parmagiano cheese on the grill. You could wrap this plus asparagus concoction in tinfoil then throw it on the grill too.
Mike

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2008, 03:40 pm »
I just use balsamic vinegar and olive oil.  Fairly hot grill, relatively quick turns until the rigid spear goes limp with little blackened spots.  It's not something you put on and leave for a while.  You kind of have to attend to it from start to finish because you don't want oil catching fire.   
« Last Edit: 23 May 2008, 03:54 pm by woodsyi »

spacedghost

« Reply #4 on: 23 May 2008, 04:44 pm »
I just use balsamic vinegar and olive oil.  Fairly hot grill, relatively quick turns until the rigid spear goes limp with little blackened spots.  It's not something you put on and leave for a while.  You kind of have to attend to it from start to finish because you don't want oil catching fire.   

mmmmmm grilled asparagus

I use the same method .

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #5 on: 23 May 2008, 04:52 pm »
Phil Lam (PhilNYC) is the one to talk to on that subject,,, the last time I had grilled asparagus was at his december NY RAVE and it was delicious. :drool: This guys knows barbeque.  :D

Cheers,
Robin

some young guy

« Reply #6 on: 23 May 2008, 04:59 pm »
I just used olive oil, salt and pepper. Once they get a little color from the grill, we dip them in some lemon aioli and eat... I'm a simple man in more ways than one.  :D

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #7 on: 23 May 2008, 05:42 pm »
You dip them in lemon .....what..... :scratch:

Bob

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 23 May 2008, 05:45 pm »

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 23 May 2008, 05:57 pm »
I just used olive oil, salt and pepper. Once they get a little color from the grill, we dip them in some lemon aioli and eat... I'm a simple man in more ways than one.  :D

Although I really like garlic, I like Hollandaise better with Asparagus and Artichoke (when they are steamed).

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 23 May 2008, 06:06 pm »

Bob

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aioli
MMmmm, Sounds pretty good.
I've never grilled any type of fruits or veggies (other than the typical corn, peppers etc...) but this asparagus and Aioli sounds pretty good!  :drool:

Bob

MaxCast

« Reply #11 on: 23 May 2008, 06:08 pm »

You Ravers have all the fun :D

Thanks for the suggestions.
Do you just coat it and grill it, or let it marinade for a bit? minuets?

some young guy

« Reply #12 on: 23 May 2008, 06:21 pm »

Bob

It's a lemon-garlic mayonnaise. If you have a food processor, just put a couple garlic cloves (with the germs removed) in and process. Then add an egg, salt, pepper, the juice of one lemon and process. Drizzle in enough olive oil to make a thick mayo. I let it sit out at room temp for 20-30 minutes so the acid from the lemon juice "cooks" the raw egg. It will thicken a bit whet it cools down in the refrigerator. If it gets a little too thick, add a little water.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 23 May 2008, 06:33 pm »
I don't like blades on my garlic.  I always crush with mortar and pestle then whisk to emulsify.  Knife will cut the garlic cells and add unnecessary bitterness to the taste. 

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 23 May 2008, 06:38 pm »
That sounds really good Scott! 
Might just have to try that this weekend.   aa

Bob

Martyn

« Reply #15 on: 23 May 2008, 07:00 pm »
This knocks every other recipe into a cocked hat, in my opinion:

Wrap each asparagus spear spirally with a narrow strip of prosciutto ham.
Crush some garlic into some EV olive oil.
Brush the asparagus with the olive oil.
Season with fresh black pepper.
Grill on the barbie for eight minutes.

You won't believe how good it tastes!

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #16 on: 23 May 2008, 07:22 pm »
Now this is close to what I have been doing for years- go to the garden, pick the asparagus, wash, wrap in proscuitto, grill, serve with a sprinkling of mozzarella and fresh basil.  Add a glass of fino sherry and the afternoon doesn't get much better. :thumb:

Wayner

« Reply #17 on: 23 May 2008, 08:47 pm »
A few more recipes and we will have the AudioCirlces cook book!   :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wait, that might actually be a good idea!

Wayner

Martyn

« Reply #18 on: 23 May 2008, 08:56 pm »
A few more recipes and we will have the AudioCirlces cook book!   :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wait, that might actually be a good idea!

Wayner

I did this at my place of work a few years ago - everyone submitted their favourite recipes, I compiled them, printed/photocopied and bound them, and then distributed them at $10 or $15 each (can't quite remember). We donated the proceeds to our usual charity. It worked so well I did the same thing for drinks the following year. We did a nude calendar a couple of years earlier - want to try that one?

Wayner

« Reply #19 on: 23 May 2008, 09:00 pm »
As long as the nude calender is of nice looking people............ :lol: :lol: :lol: