Finally done! Pics Included :)

ajzepp

Finally done! Pics Included :)
« on: 22 May 2008, 10:17 pm »
Finally finished separating my 2-channel system from my HT gear. They still share a common amp, but my Butler 5150 is more than capable of doing justice to both  :D

It all started when I heard, and subsequently fell in love with, the DeVore Super 8s. My local dealer is a HUGE audiophile and music lover, and even though nothing was able to take me away from my Maggie MMGs at the time, the DeVores were clearly the speakers for me. The Butler came next, as I was able to obtain it from the same dealer and get a very nice price on it. This amp will be with me for a very long time!

The preamp was something that I really had a hard time with. Obviously I needed an HT bypass feature, which is not all that hard to find nowadays...but there are so many good products out there! I pretty much had it narrowed down to the Van Alstine Ultra, the SAS Audio 10A, and the Mapletree Audio Design Line 2A SE. I knew I wanted tubes since the DeVores love them, but it was really hard deciding among these three. After quite a few email exchanges with Dr. Lloyd Peppard, and reading all of the reviews and feedback I could find, I pulled the trigger. Awesome piece of equipment!

A couple months ago, after my Denon 2900 started really crapping out, I began strongly considering PC based music. I kept hearing about something called a Squeezebox, so I read as much as I could about them. I ended up ripping all my CDs to iTunes in Apple Lossless, and then placed my order for a SB Duet. I've since been listening to music on a daily basis, and I love having my entire music collection in the palm of my hand. As happy as I was with how things were sounding with the analog outs on the Duet through the Mapletree, I wasn't going to stop there. I wanted a DAC.

I had been putting a DAC on the back burner for a LONG time because I was having the same problem as with the preamp decision. It basically came down to the Monarchy Audio NM24, the Van Alstine Ultra, and the TADAC. Every time I was thinking about adding one, my indecision resulted in a focus on somethign else and forgetting about the DAC for the time being. That all changed yesterday, when I took delivery on a TADAC from Paul at Tube Audio Design. I spent some time with it out of the box, and have been giving it some burn-in time over the last 24 hrs. All I'll say for now, though, is that I've been smiling wider since yesterday afternoon than I was before  :thumb:

As much as I love my gear, the most important addition was clearly room treatments. Glenn K and Bryan P of GIK were very, very helpful with my first venture into this area of the hobby. They answered all my questions and allowed me to feel comfortable from the first conversation all the way through the purchase. My cables are Blue Jeans Cable, my speaker wire is Mapleshade Golden Helix, and the plinths are Mapleshade 4" maple with solid brass carpet piercing footers. Lastly, the rack is from VTI. I saw a rack thread on here a while back and a few people were talking about this company. For the money, it's a very nice looking rack, in my opinion.

Anyway, sorry to ramble on so long, I'm just really excited to have my system finished (for now!). I owe a LOT to the folks who post on Audio Circle. I would have never even heard of some of this stuff if not for you guys, so thanks to all! 

Audio Rack
Overall System

low.pfile

Re: Finally done! Pics Included :)
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2008, 02:34 am »
Cool AJ, my monkey brother.
Sounds like a fun process. I hear ya.

Just finished up myself getting all the bits in place. little tweeks will happen but now for listening!

cheers, ed

ajzepp

« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2008, 12:27 pm »
 :lol:

That's some kickass gear you've got there! How do you like the Modwright pre? I've heard a lot of great things about Dan's gear, so I'd be curious to know what you had before the 9.0. That MAY be the one piece I do upgrade later this year if there is something that will clearly be a step up. I just know that the DeVores will rise to the level of the associated gear, even if the gear far surpasses the DeVores in terms of price/quality...so I may be tempted to go higher end with my preamp at some point down the line.

Monkey Lovin'!!!!  :thumb:

Cool AJ, my monkey brother.
Sounds like a fun process. I hear ya.

Just finished up myself getting all the bits in place. little tweeks will happen but now for listening!

cheers, ed

mcullinan

« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2008, 01:27 pm »
Beautiful Room AJ! I was going to get the Devores, though I ended up with a pair of demo Merlin MXs. Someday I hope to hear em.. Congrats!
Mike

zmanbands

« Reply #4 on: 23 May 2008, 02:31 pm »
I have all my gear on maple solid blocks 2" thick and large cones. I switched my blue jean IC's to CAT Silver King CAt, for a very major improvement. Jeans are Ok but king cats are real dressy.

ajzepp

« Reply #5 on: 23 May 2008, 02:54 pm »
Beautiful Room AJ! I was going to get the Devores, though I ended up with a pair of demo Merlin MXs. Someday I hope to hear em.. Congrats!
Mike

I almost went with the Merlins myself...beautiful speakers! Bobby P's offices aren't all that far from where I grew up in Upstate NY  :thumb:

What are you using for amp and preamp?

ajzepp

« Reply #6 on: 23 May 2008, 02:57 pm »
I have all my gear on maple solid blocks 2" thick and large cones. I switched my blue jean IC's to CAT Silver King CAt, for a very major improvement. Jeans are Ok but king cats are real dressy.

I think playing around with ICs and speaker wire will be like the last frontier for me...My DeVore dealer is all into high end wires, so I'm sure he'll let me try some out. I'm curious as to whether or not I can discern any differences.

low.pfile

« Reply #7 on: 23 May 2008, 03:55 pm »

That's some kickass gear you've got there! How do you like the Modwright pre? I've heard a lot of great things about Dan's gear, so I'd be curious to know what you had before the 9.0. That MAY be the one piece I do upgrade later this year if there is something that will clearly be a step up. I just know that the DeVores will rise to the level of the associated gear, even if the gear far surpasses the DeVores in terms of price/quality...so I may be tempted to go higher end with my preamp at some point down the line.

aj, the MWI pre is my first, so I have no baseline for comparison. Still getting used to the tube thing on the amp side. The 9.0 really fills out the music in a great way.

After my RWA amp gets past 100 hours I will be comparing Straley Reality Spkr Cables to my current Anti-Cables SCs. For ICs VenHaus pulsars are doing their job well-so no tweeking there.

BTW I grew up in upstate ny too: albany > syracuse univ

cheers, ed

biz97

« Reply #8 on: 23 May 2008, 04:00 pm »
Upstate NY  :thumb:

I grew up in Corning.   Live in San Diego now.  Nice set up!

ajzepp

« Reply #9 on: 23 May 2008, 04:05 pm »
Upstate NY  :thumb:

I grew up in Corning.   Live in San Diego now.  Nice set up!

Wow, it's like an Upstate NY reunion in here!  :green:

I grew up just outside of Rochester...I miss it back there!

Go Bills!

ajzepp

« Reply #10 on: 23 May 2008, 04:14 pm »
Those Pulsars look very interesting...was just checking out the VH website...

aj, the MWI pre is my first, so I have no baseline for comparison. Still getting used to the tube thing on the amp side. The 9.0 really fills out the music in a great way.

After my RWA amp gets past 100 hours I will be comparing Straley Reality Spkr Cables to my current Anti-Cables SCs. For ICs VenHaus pulsars are doing their job well-so no tweeking there.

BTW I grew up in upstate ny too: albany > syracuse univ

cheers, ed