Packard Bell Tube Stereo

mike j

Packard Bell Tube Stereo
« on: 18 May 2008, 10:45 pm »
I found a console tube stereo made by Packard-Bell at a thrift store for $20. The model number is RPG 31WAL. Does anyone have any info they'd be willing to share about this piece. It seems to be in OK physical condition. It's pretty interesting. The speakers swing out and are detachable. It's the typical 1950's/early sixties look. It has an AM/FM/FM Stereo tuner, a Gerard TT, and a jack for a tape deck or some other aux piece. The tuner moves smoothly. The TT needs work- the cartridge is hanging loose and the tall spindle and 45 adapter are missing. I'm only interested in the amp and the tuner/control amp so I'll probably not do anything with the TT. I haven't powered anything up yet. I've picked up from these forums that it is probably a good idea to replace the caps before putting any electricity to it. Also, I need to find a good place to buy caps; any suggestions?

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=1455

SET Man

Re: Packard Bell Tube Stereo
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2008, 11:06 pm »
Hey!

Look like a nice fine there MikeJ. :D

The amp look like push-pull EL84/6BQ5 tube. I would guess the input tube on the amp probably 6EU7 or 12AX7.

Is the tuner FM stereo multiplex? If these still work, for $20 I would say it is a bargain find. :D
 I don't know about Packard-Bell but those old console type amp could sound pretty good.

Keep us posted on how this sound. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

mike j

« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2008, 11:44 pm »
Buddy,
Yes it is FM stereo multiplex and you got the tubes right too. Do you know of a good vendor for caps for these babies? I'd like to run it up, but I'd like to re-cap it first. Thanks for the reply!
Mike

SET Man

« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2008, 12:10 am »
Hey!

As for caps and other parts. For Hi-End... the last few times I bought them from Michael Percy...

http://www.percyaudio.com/

You will need to download the catalog. It is best to email him and check on those if what you want are in stock before sending your order and payment.

But for this amp I would check out Antique Electronic Supply.

http://www.tubesandmore.com

Look in the Capacitor section. And you'll see there are some multi-section caps there.... could be very useful. Maybe there is one that match the one on the amp right now. :D As for smaller caps like signal caps. If you don't want to spend a lot of money for Hi-End caps I recommend you check out the "Orange Drop" I actually have used a few of these before to replace some caps in my Akai tubed Reel to Reel tape and the deck sounds very good... no complaint there. :D Should be good for your amp project here. And they are cheap. You could get your amp working with these for now and decide later if you want to upgrade caps to those more expensive Hi-end one. :D

As for those tubes. Those old original tubes from the 60's are of high quality and probably better than most tube made today. If they are still good just keep them and enjoy. But the only to know if they are still good is to measure them. :?

Anyway, good luck and keep us posted. :D

Take care,

mike j

« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2008, 12:53 am »
Buddy,
Thanks much. That info helps a lot. I found the PS multi-section cap. It's not exact- the one I found is 580 VDC and the one in my amp is 450 VDC. The capacitance values are the same though.
As far as the "orange drop" caps you mentioned; are you talking about using them to replace what look like electrolytics or to replace the ceramic caps?
One last question... I don't have access to a tube tester, so is there another way to test them? Buying four to replace them will be around $35, so that doesn't seem too bad... other than not keeping it original.
Thanks again!!!

SET Man

« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2008, 02:03 am »
Buddy,
Thanks much. That info helps a lot. I found the PS multi-section cap. It's not exact- the one I found is 580 VDC and the one in my amp is 450 VDC. The capacitance values are the same though.
As far as the "orange drop" caps you mentioned; are you talking about using them to replace what look like electrolytics or to replace the ceramic caps?
One last question... I don't have access to a tube tester, so is there another way to test them? Buying four to replace them will be around $35, so that doesn't seem too bad... other than not keeping it original.
Thanks again!!!

Hey!

Well, look like luck is on your side finding exact multi-section cap with same values. :D As for the voltage... replacing it with higher voltage is OK, but not the other way around unless you know for sure how much the actual voltage is and not exceeding the replacement cap. :D Hope that it will fit though :roll:

As for the "orange drop" Yes, you could replace those caps underneath the amp of which are mostly coupling caps with the same value and same or higher voltage rating. Check the value marking carefully :D But get the "polypropylene" one. C

Yes, if you are going to order some caps than you might as well order new set of tubes too. For EL84 and 12AX7I do like JJ or Ei. You could pop in new tubes and see if the sound is better than the old set. :D

Take care,