Is there a step-by-step procedure for extracting and saving DVD-A audio files?

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
Here's my situation. I'm thinking about downloading a torrent of a DVD-A box set I want, but I just want to play back the audio files...I don't care about anything in the video directory. I've heard about some programs to do it...DVD Audio Explorer, PCMripper...while I'm comfortable ripping regular CDs with EAC all day long, this stuff is confusing to me.

At one point in time before my HDD crashed last year I downloaded this set that was ripped from the DVD-A's, can't remember if it was 24/96 or 24/48, but it was the stereo downmix in FLAC.

My noobish questions are - is there a written procedure out there that I could follow for saving the audio portion of this DVD-A to ultimately high-res FLAC files? I don't have a multichannel setup, so I assume going with the 5.1 mix would be a waste of my time...but I've read things from people saying stereo downmixes of DTS stuff sound worse, so I'm not sure whether or not to rip the 5.1 anyway.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
DVD Audio Extractor can rip the 24/96 stuff in the Video folder (i.e DVD-V side of HDAD's and unprotected 24/96 pcm groups like Neil Young stuff,etc) and has a nice little tutorial on it's site, but I haven't used the infamous DVD A Explorer to rip the protected MLP stuff.  I can't find it (likely for good reason... :wink: ) except a reference to the alpha 7 version in some bit torrent lists.   It was on the web in '05 then RIAA or whatever policing roup had it pulled.  Rumor from hydrogen audio is that there is Alpha 8 version out there.