John Blue and Kingrex

DavidS

John Blue and Kingrex
« on: 18 May 2008, 01:23 am »
I have been thinking about purchasing a pair of John Blue JB3s and Kingrex T20U USB integrated amp from audio-magus for my soon to be 18 year old son for his birthday present.  He listens to lots of downloaded / streaming music and movies from his PC over crappy pc speakers.  Probably $7-800 for this combo - can I do better quality and sound for his smallish bedroom system?

DZetye

Re: John Blue and Kingrex
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2008, 02:28 am »
You might also consider the new Nuforce Icon desktop class D amp and the matching speakers due out the end of this month.  I have the amp and it is stunning for 12 watts/ch.

sbrtoy

« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2008, 04:35 pm »
The T amps are a great bargain, but for a 18y/o you may want to look at speakers capable of more dynamics and bass.  Some examples for roughly the same money would be the entry level PSB's, Infinity, Aperion, Axiom etc.

DavidS

« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2008, 05:07 pm »
yes - he is listening to mostly hard rock and rap (plus streaming movies) so need some boom but won't sound harsh with what is typically poor sounding because of itunes download, just poorly recorded or very dynamic not simple music.  Will check these speakers out - thanks for advice.  The nuforce amp looks pretty nice though, as does the kingrex.  Thought about small tube amp but just think too fussy for him next 5+ years.

Zero

« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2008, 05:34 pm »
I have a different idea.

How about this; Buy him a used HK receiver.  3475 / 3480  -  something along those lines.  They are very inexpensive, sound great, look great, and sport more than enough horsepower to drive common loudspeakers.

Pair up that HK with av123's X-LS or ELT 525M monitors.  Boom - you've got a damned fine sounding rig at under your budget.  He will also have the option of buying a sub and running it through the HK's line level "sub out" should he desire to do so later down the road.

bikes and beats

« Reply #5 on: 18 May 2008, 05:43 pm »
I still use my HK3480 for stereo movie watching and digital TV. I hard-wired an upgraded power cord and that improved dynamics a good bit.
HUGE value.  :wink:

DavidS

« Reply #6 on: 18 May 2008, 06:48 pm »
would still need a dac with the home theatre receiver to convert digital signal from computer.  Guess there are lots of cheap $200 dacs but one of the beauties of these little integrated amps is their on board dac for plugging straight to computer as music and movie server.

mcgsxr

« Reply #7 on: 18 May 2008, 06:51 pm »
How about some of the powered Audioengine speakers?  Combine with Logitech (slimdevices when I bought one) wireless device (can be run wired) and you are all set.

Zero

« Reply #8 on: 18 May 2008, 06:53 pm »
DavidS,

Maybe I'm missing something here, but every computer comes pre-equipped with a DAC. In fact, a number of them come with a coax output so you can utilize a DAC built into a receiver/integrated/whatever.

sbrtoy

« Reply #9 on: 18 May 2008, 09:01 pm »
Zero, you are correct that he could run analog from his PC but I would say the built-in DAC would be a good route as many cheaper PC sound cards sound like an AM radio and have lots of noise as well due to being inside the casing often near the power supply. Also the small size of the T amps would work great in a bedroom or college dorm and hopefully would be a conversation strater for him and his friends to bring more young people into hi-fi  :wink:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #10 on: 18 May 2008, 09:26 pm »
For the next few years he'll need compact, knock around stuff.  Equipment that won't draw attention to itself (stolen), can handle abuse (think others/parties), and won't upset neighbors (parents included) with excessive bass. 

I'd wait for the NuForce S1 speakers to be introduced before pulling the trigger.  If they're half as good as the Icon, it would make for a killer compact inexpensive system using the PC as a source.  Note that the Icon has volume control and DAC built in.

As the Icon hits way harder than the 12 wpc would suggest, any decent efficiency speaker could be added if you don't want to wait for the S1.  A good/inexpensive speaker is the Best Buy house brand Insignia 6.5 inch bass reflex ($90/pair):

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7705307&type=product&id=1138085354138

Zero

« Reply #11 on: 18 May 2008, 09:35 pm »
sbrtoy,

I absolutely agree; a high quality external DAC is all but guaranteed to deliver better performance than the stock junk aboard most standard PC’s. If we were assembling ain inexpensive ‘puter system for a critical ear, I’d say an external DAC would darn near be a must! But… its not.

I think it is important to bear in mind that this is a rig being assembled for an 18 year old boy; one who primarily listens to hip hop and hard rock in mp3 format. Maybe in a few years, he may find himself ripping Allison Krauss or Miles Davies in FLAC format, but for now, he’s not. So then, the question becomes, can a low powered set up really stand up to the rigors of a teenage boy? How about his friends? Future Party’s – jam sessions, you name it.

If I were DavidS – I’d start looking at building a high quality system that will meet all of my sons needs. If an external DAC is deemed necessary, the E-MU 0202 is a fantastic inexpensive option. The bottom line is you’re going to need an amp that can deliver some strong, plentiful current. You’re also going to need a speaker that can handle it, all the while delivering some of goodness we audiophiles appreciate. To top it all off, the components should have a proven record of reliability.

So if you broke things down like this (per my example):

E-Mu 0202 soundcard ($130)
HK 3470   receiver  ($150 or so, used)
Av123 X-LS monitors  ($350)

You’re total for the main components would hit a solid $630.00.  Heck, you’ll still have some cash left over for a set of interconnects, jumpers, and speaker wire. That’s the kind of system that’ll make any youngster happier than a pig n shit. Granted, I'm not stating the above is the ONLY way - but it IS a course that, in my opinion, would be the most worthwhile.

Affordable$$Audio

« Reply #12 on: 19 May 2008, 06:06 pm »
For an 18yr old moving back and forth to college, and the associated abuse of a dorm life, etc. go used and inexpensive.  I had my system in a solid oak cabinet in college and I know it was the only reason the pieces survived 4 years.  As for an external DAC, their are several inexpensive choices.  The Fubar USB is a fine value and very small.

I'm a firm believer is starting a kid off with a decent basic rig, and let them grow and invest with their interest level.