how to install IEC receptacle?

Mad DOg

« on: 21 Oct 2003, 05:16 am »
i searched for instructions on how to install an IEC receptacle on a DVD player w/ a hard wired power cord and came up empty so far...can anyone point me in the right direction? TIA! :)

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #1 on: 21 Oct 2003, 09:45 am »
Maybe www.sstage.com/maxdb/maxdb20006.htm maybe? :o  I`ve done this tweek to my Sony XBR Wega, Yamaha HTR-5490 digital receiver, and Velodyne CT-100 sub with excellent improvements in both audio/video using VenHaus PC`s and Acme silver coated IEC terminals from Dedicated Audio. The only thing I lacked was the talent to solder, had to rely on crimping. Have fun. Regards, Robin

Monolith

Re: how to install IEC receptacle?
« Reply #2 on: 21 Oct 2003, 12:13 pm »
Quote from: Mad DOg
i searched for instructions on how to install an IEC receptacle on a DVD player w/ a hard wired power cord and came up empty so far...can anyone point me in the right direction? TIA! :)

What in particular do you have questions about?  DVD players are generally two wire (hot-black & neutral-white).  The replacement IEC connector is marked as such ("L" - black, "N" - white, & "G" - ground) on the back where the connections are made.  Maintain this wiring orientation.  You do not have to ground the IEC connector.  The wiring part is easy, but mechanically fitting the IEC connector to the player is sometimes a challenge.  You might not have room enough behind the back panel to get the IEC in.  There are punches to make the hole to fit an IEC but they run about $250.  Some people use a dremel tool to cut the opening.  I typically use a "nibbler" that I bought from Radio Shack for about $7-10.  I then drill the two mounting screw holes and either tap the holes if the panel is thick enough or through-bolt them if not.

Be careful if you solder to the IEC.  The plastic melts easily.

Mad DOg

« Reply #3 on: 21 Oct 2003, 05:23 pm »
Quote from: satfrat
Maybe www.sstage.com/maxdb/maxdb20006.htm maybe? :o  I`ve done this tweek to my Sony XBR Wega, Yamaha HTR-5490 digital receiver, and Velodyne CT-100 sub with excellent improvements in both audio/video using VenHaus PC`s and Acme silver coated IEC terminals from Dedicated Audio. The only thing I lacked was the talent to solder, had to rely on crimping. Have fun. Regards, Robin
satfrat,

thanks for the link...somehow all the links i've encountered here and on avsforum regarding this topic are all dead... :? i think this will be fun as long as i can do it right! :)

Mad DOg

Re: how to install IEC receptacle?
« Reply #4 on: 21 Oct 2003, 05:25 pm »
Quote from: Monolith
What in particular do you have questions about?  DVD players are generally two wire (hot-black & neutral-white).  The replacement IEC connector is marked as such ("L" - black, "N" - white, & "G" - ground) on the back where the connections are made.  Maintain this wiring orientation.  You do not have to ground the IEC connector.  The wiring part is easy, but mechanically fitting the IEC connector to the player is sometimes a challenge.  You might not have room enough behind the back panel to get the IEC in.  ...
Monolith,

thanks! these were exactly the questions i had in mind! how to cut the hole in the panel and how to wire...plus i was hoping for some illustrations, but i think this will work.

Monolith

« Reply #5 on: 21 Oct 2003, 05:40 pm »
I would quickly do a "web page save" on this website in case the link drops again:

Click Here ---> Installing IEC in DVD Player

Plenty of pictures and the nibbler I mentioned too.

Mad DOg

« Reply #6 on: 21 Oct 2003, 05:54 pm »
Monolith,

U da man! thanks a lot! exactly what i was looking for. EXACTLY! now for the parts and time to do it...:) i hope this will improve the audio and video...

Ferdi

« Reply #7 on: 21 Oct 2003, 10:02 pm »
One consideration: If you KNOW you are going to DIY the cables, consider Neutrik Powercon connectors, rather than IEC.

Ferdi