Live music at the opera!

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Live music at the opera!
« on: 20 Oct 2003, 09:27 pm »
I am going to the opera Tuesday evening - will see Verdi's Nabucco (Italian for Nebuchadnezzar).

This is a dress rehearsal, but the ones I have seen in the past were just like the real thing. People dress up for it, etc.  Update Tuesday night or Wednesday...

jqp

• Volunteer
Live music at the opera!
« Reply #1 on: 23 Oct 2003, 02:11 am »
Nabucco was a good performance of a great opera. At least the dress rehersal was good. I has 4 acts, and 4 main lead voices - soprano mezzo-soprano, tenor and baritone. The baritone did so well here in NC will be going to the Met in the big city to do this opera later this fall.

This Italian opera is Verdi's most famous, I belive, and has received more praise in recent years. One of the songs has practically become the Italian national anthem. The opera is set during the Babylonian captivity of the Israelites, during the time of the "hanging gardens of Babylon".

The acoustics of Blumenthal performing arts center are good. I was able to sit in the first of three balcony tiers, where I could see all of the orchestra pit. It was difficult to source most of the instruments which I guess is by design with an orchestra pit. It is amazing how loud the flute is - it figured prominently in this opera. Cellos and bass were beautiful, and the clarinet doubled the flute often. This opera has a large chorus in many scenes and several pieces were really choral pieces. In the first act the chorus did not seem to project nearly enough, and were drowned out by the orchestra. There was one scene I really liked where all 4 main voices were sung on stage at the same time.

This was an emotional story with emotional music, thus its real popularity. Its nice to get a reality check of live music in a classical tradition.

elektratig

Live music at the opera!
« Reply #2 on: 23 Oct 2003, 11:12 pm »
Good to hear that there are other opera lovers here.  When I go, I prefer to sit in a low balcony rather than the orchestra -- I find you get a much better blending of sound.  You're certainly right that it's very difficult to localize particular instruments, but that's often true in straight orchestral performances as well.  It may sometimes be possible to identify a general area -- left or right -- but it's rare that with hearing alone you can tell more precisely where an instrument is located on stage.  In this respect, the pinpoint "imaging" that stereo nuts (including me) love is utterly artificial.

If you like Nabucco with its choruses, try Cavelleria Rusticana or Turandot.

For operas with scenes in which multiple voices are singing at the same time, the most famous is probably in Lucia, but the most  beautiful to my ear is the last-act trio in Rosenkavalier -- Karajan, Schwartzkopf, et al, EMI c. 1955.

Happy listening!

WilliamL

Live music at the opera!
« Reply #3 on: 25 Oct 2003, 01:37 am »
elektratig wrote:

Good to hear that there are other opera lovers here.
[/b]

Oh yea! I am listening to Angela Gheorghui's aria compilation right now as i type this. Gotta get to the Met this year for sure. Damn. They raised ticket prices again. Cheap seats are like $30 a pop now.

Cheers,
Bill

bob82274

Live music at the opera!
« Reply #4 on: 25 Oct 2003, 03:05 am »
I haven't been to Blumenthal in a while...  I do like the facilities though.  I'm going to show my age (or lack there of  :? ) here but I havn't been there since a field trip for a weird dance production of Hamlet.  Its probably my favorite piece of Shakespeare but it was just so out there.  Just don't get that abstract dance. :wink:

If I was still living in Charlotte I would probably go to a couple of symphonies (couldn't afford season tickets).  Any Raleigh people go to the symphony or opera here?

Also as I have never been to one I am curious on dress.  I am not around people who make it to the theatre much so I am quite ignorant as to the dress code  :| .  My guess is that a tux is too much for most but a sport coat might do the trick.  Sorry to hijack the thread. Just seemed like a good point to do it.

jqp

• Volunteer
Live music at the opera!
« Reply #5 on: 25 Oct 2003, 04:14 pm »
I wore a coat and tie to the dress rehearsal, and I was probably overdressed a bit. But there were lots of younger girls who took the oportunity to get dressed up. The dress rehearsals have lots of school groups, to allow them to see the opera. Also family and friends of the performers who may not have season tickets.

For the regular performances I have been to, a coat and tie is definitely the standard dress for men. Women will wear long formal gowns and you will see some tuxedos. Not sure how it is at the Met - it may be very formal there.

WilliamL

Live music at the opera!
« Reply #6 on: 26 Oct 2003, 01:30 am »
jqp:

Not sure how it is at the Met - it may be very formal there.

Well....its all depends on how much you paid for a seat!  :lol:  I notice that in the cheaper sections, people don't get dressed up as much. Down lower though, you can spot quite a few tuxes, fancy furs, etc..

Cheers,
Bill