JBL Paragon

Scott F.

JBL Paragon
« on: 15 May 2008, 06:53 pm »
Hiya Guys,

This post might belong in the Trading Circle but since I'm not the one selling it or even know who is, I thought it might be safe to post it here.

This weekend in St Louis, one of the local auction houses is having a Modernism auction. Its got everything from Art Deco trinkets to Larry Zox paintings. Nestled between the Salvidor Dali and Andy Warhol, just after the Heywood Wakefield furniture is a piece that has no business in this auction......a JBL Paragon.

Now, I haven't seen this yet but from what they say in the write up, it looks like it is the original Paragon, unaltered and being sold by the original owner. The serial number is 273. guessing, that would put it at about 1962 or 63 as a date of manufacture. The estimate auction has a $8-10K price. I have no idea if there is a reserve on this piece.

Last thing I need is to come home to my lovely wife and say I've got this 8' long speaker cabinet I need her help unloading but I thought maybe somebody here at AC might either want, or know someone that wants an authentic Paragon. When you look at the auction, you'll see how out of place this piece of history is. If I had to guess, it won't hit 50% of the auction estimate. That means somebody is going to steal this thing. I'd rather see it go to somebody who really wants one rather than a speculator looking to resell it on ePay. I still haven't decided if I want to bid on it or not. If I do, my limit would peak at a couple K. It will probably go higher than that. Besides, I've literally got no where to put it.....unless I got rid of my Altec A-7's. Not sure I want to do that.

Anyway, talk it up to the guys who you might know that are hard core hi-efficiency or JBL fans.

Ivey Selkirk Auction House

...if you happen to be serious (and I do mean serious) about wanting this piece (at or near the auction price), contact me offline and I may be able to help with the purchase.

KenSeger

• Heavy and noisy, but beautiful
    • Ken's Plain Jane Website

JohnR

Re: JBL Paragon
« Reply #2 on: 15 Nov 2008, 03:19 am »
Very cool, Scott, thanks for posting that. I found an article with some more info here:

http://www.audioheritage.org/html/profiles/jbl/paragon.htm

And the internal layout:

You know you want it ;)

SET Man

Re: JBL Paragon
« Reply #3 on: 15 Nov 2008, 06:15 am »
Hey!

Wooooooow! :o

Truly a classic. If I had money and space this will be one classic I would have :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb: