TV antenna coax cable splitter questions

Don_S

TV antenna coax cable splitter questions
« on: 14 May 2008, 06:41 pm »
I use an antenna with RG-6 coax cable.  I need to add a two-way splitter in the attic.  Is a 40-2150MHz adequate bandwidth?  Seems good to me. 

When I add the attic splitter I will no longer need the three-way splitter in the house.  I will still need a two-way in that application.  Will I lose signal strength by continuing to use the three-way but only using two outputs?  It is an old Monster Cable 2GHz.  One of the outputs is labeled "power pass out".  What does that mean?  This splitter receives input from one of the attic-split leads and will feed my 46" Sharp LCD and Panasonic DVD-recorder.  I consider this application more critical. What is the least bandwidth I should settle for if I have to buy another two-way to replace the three-way?

The other feed from the attic-split feeds a VCR in and then out (from the VCR) to a 15" Sharp LCD.  Less critical.

I am eventually going to have to introduce a new digital tuner box into the DVD-recorder and VCR/15" TV path.

Thanks for any help. 
« Last Edit: 14 May 2008, 06:58 pm by Don_S »

Wayner

Re: TV antenna coax cable splitter questions
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2008, 08:00 pm »
Don,

All passive splitters have about a 6db insertion loss per tap. In otherwords, a 2 way splitter can have a 12db insertion loss, a 3-way can have an 18db loss and so on. Although these losses are "guesses" anyway, it's kind of a crap shoot. It all depends on location from transmitter, signal strength and now they are saying if you mix RG-6 with RG-59 you can screw up the overall performance of the antenna system. I have an antenna amplifier (in the basement) that feeds a 2-way splitter. One tap goes to the downstairs living room where I have the big TV, VCR, High def tuner and FM tuner. The picture on the TV is great in both analog and digital, FM is too. The other end of the first 2-way splitter feeds an 8-plex which is the distribution system for the whole house. featuring 2 tvs, 2 FM tuners and 2 stereo receivers.

Trial and error are the usual suspects in dealing with this. You sound like you have a handle on it.

Wayner

Don_S

« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2008, 07:31 pm »
Wayner,  Thanks for the info.  What is the "power pass out" on the three-way splitter?

It is going to be over 100 degrees today but I finished the attic work this morning.  No more spiders for me for a while.

ctviggen

« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2008, 11:10 am »
I think that means it'll pass DC for power.  The other outputs probably block DC or at least aren't guaranteed to pass it.  This is typically used for satellite reception.  This is hard to find via Google, but here's a thread that at least marginally discusses it:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.internet.wireless/browse_thread/thread/108522ee81505069/3f07bb9d20f35c45?#3f07bb9d20f35c45

Don_S

« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2008, 06:22 pm »
Thanks Bob,  Now I understand that "power pass out" (DC pass ) is a moot point in my antenna system.

Don_S

« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2008, 05:32 pm »
I am still unclear on if a three-way splitter is used on only two outputs is the loss the same as a two-way or is it level of loss still a three-way loss?

My 3-way reads 5MHz-1GHz  -5.7dB
                       1GHz-2GHz  -8.9dB

Wayner

« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2008, 05:43 pm »
I think a 3-way has more loss, even if one out is not used.

Wayner

Don_S

« Reply #7 on: 19 May 2008, 06:06 pm »
Wayner,  You were right about trial and error.  Since I put the 2-way in the attic on Saturday I lost channels 3 & 6 on my Panasonic DVD-recorder. Those are analog channels since the Panny does not have a digital tuner. Those stations have always been weak.  My 46" Sharp LCD receives both the analog 3 & 6 and the digital 3.1 and 6.1 very clearly.

Both the Panny and Sharp come off of the same 3-way in the house and each has a separate 6' cable from the 3-way.  The Panny cable is RG-59 and the Sharp is RG-6.  I will replace the Panny cable and the 3-way (with a 2-way) and try to get those channels back.  It may be the cables/splitter but I suspect the Panny tuner is just crap.

Wayner

« Reply #8 on: 19 May 2008, 07:30 pm »
When I put up my big Channel Master antenna on the roof of my first house, we had a meter with us. We found a great spot, anchored down the tripod and dropped the coax. When we got into the house, the picture was awful, FM came in like crap. What did we do wrong. Later, we discovered that while we were  on the roof, we were the additional elements to the antenna! Turns out that moving the antenna another foot to the south made all the difference. Trees, tall buildings, water towers and all kinds of junk like that are all part of the equation between great and poor reception.

You have done well so far, I'm sure you'll get it satisfactory.

Wayner  aa

Don_S

« Reply #9 on: 19 May 2008, 08:00 pm »
My antenna was also set up with a meter.  The surrounding trees are evergreen (pine and redwood) so there is not as much seasonal change as with deciduous trees.