Slimserver issues

sts9fan

Slimserver issues
« on: 13 May 2008, 01:34 am »
My SB is not working correctly.  The player has the time on it but will not find my music folder and if I go to server info does not show a ip.  It is just blank.  On the computer side the web browser will not open.  It just sits.  hourglass then nothing.  I installed SlimCenter and it also will not load.  It just opened Firefox and could not find the address.  My router seems to be working (the time is on the player) and I can access the music no problem from "my computer".  Any suggestions?  I have comcast's free mcafee  lrunning.

kris

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: Slimserver issues
« Reply #1 on: 13 May 2008, 11:51 am »
Doesn't sound like a SB problem - but a PC issue.  First thing I'd do is kill McAfee, lots of known problems with it working and playing nice with SlimServer.  Assume there are the same issues with SqueezeCenter.

Can you set up the PC so SqueezeCenter doesn't auto-start and then hard boot (power down/power up) the PC and see if you can at least get it up and running with an IP first?

Bryan

sts9fan

« Reply #2 on: 13 May 2008, 11:58 am »
I don't have it auto starting.  I am gonna try disabling McAfee tonight.  Maybe an update came through and messed everything up.  I hope it is not that though because it is free from Comcast. 

richidoo

« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2008, 12:23 pm »
Grisoft makes anti virus and anti spyware products that protect just as well as McAfee, are still free, and don't screw up the computer.
http://free.grisoft.com/
I have been using the free version of AVG antivirus for at least 7 years, have my computer consulting clients on it and never a problem with viruses or slow downs. You can ditch McAfee with no regrets. AVG beats it in software reviews. But with AVG free version you will get virus profile updates automatically, but you will have to keep the application updated manually, 10 seconds once a month for "Priority Upgrades." Paid version is all automatic.

I run SC7 and/or ss6.5.4 on my PC. SC7 does not like AdAware (paid 'plus' version) either.
Good luck!
Rich

sts9fan

« Reply #4 on: 13 May 2008, 12:27 pm »
cool I will try that.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #5 on: 13 May 2008, 03:00 pm »
McAfee does not play well with SlimDevices software, I had trouble as well. "Ditto" for killing McAfee.
I've got 6.5.4 SlimServer wirless SB3 and now use AVG and "Ad aware".
No more problems.  :thumb:

Bob

sts9fan

« Reply #6 on: 13 May 2008, 09:20 pm »
Bizarre!  I get home today and right before I was going to remove McAfee I try Squeezecenter and it loads up no problem!  So strange.  I rebooted at least three times last night.  This is the one thing about computer music that bugs me.  My lack of complete understanding of what I am using.  Sure I don't know exactly how a cd player works but they are not so quirky.  that said there is no going back.

Kris

richidoo

« Reply #7 on: 13 May 2008, 09:53 pm »
Nobody totally understands computers, not even the guys that invent them. They only understand their little part.  Glad you got it going again. Probably the moon is in a new house now...  :roll:  At least now you have some options (for when it happens again... hehe) I hope not!

Bob, if you upgrade to SC7 sometime (Duet is COOL!!) watch out for Adaware. I had to shut mine off, not playing nice with SC7. YMMV, I hope so!
Rich

sts9fan

« Reply #8 on: 13 May 2008, 10:11 pm »
SC7 is weird though.  I told it not to scan itunes but it appeared to anyway.  I don't see any mp3s in my folders though.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #9 on: 13 May 2008, 10:32 pm »
I agree, but SC7 (and 7.0.1) will scan iTunes only the first time.  After that, go in and make sure the iTunes tab (server settings) has no info, no links, no folder destinations, then "clear and rescan entire library".  It will be fine the second time.

DSK

« Reply #10 on: 14 May 2008, 02:30 am »
Not sure about the missing server IP address, but if your library is stored on an external USB HDD that has gone into standby mode (or you have inadvertantly switched it off) the SB will show all the artists and album names etc, but when you go to play one it will say "not found".