Monarchy Audio NM24 vs. Van Alstine Ultra DAC

ajzepp

Monarchy Audio NM24 vs. Van Alstine Ultra DAC
« on: 12 May 2008, 10:38 am »
Okay, so I'm really getting close to having my 2-channel rig where I want it. I've made some nice additions over the past few months, and the last component I need is an outboard DAC. I'm running a Squeezebox Duet, and while I'm not unhappy with the analog sound I'm getting from it, I want a tube DAC. I've read/discussed just about every possible DAC under the sun since I've basically been keeping this upgrade on the back burner while I upgraded everything else, but now it's time to pull the trigger.

The Monarchy has rave reviews and can be had for nearly 5 bills less than the AVA Ultra. It also has much more flexibility and more than one input. There would be little to no turnaround time, and the owner of the company, CC Poon, is a very good guy to deal with. The AVA is also very highly regarded, but is a bit more pricey (not a huge issue), has only one input, and has a 4-6 week turnaround time. Frank Van Alstine is also a great guy to deal with, however, and it would allow me to have an American made system from top to bottom, which I like. Ultimately, though, I have to keep sound quality at the top of my list, so I'm seeking input from anyone who has had the opportunity to hear both pieces. Oh, and I know that Frank has a newer tube DAC out, but since it's not as good as the Ultra, I'm not all that interested in it.

Thanks!

ajzepp

Re: Monarchy Audio NM24 vs. Van Alstine Ultra DAC
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2008, 05:44 am »
Well, thanks to the numerous and helpful replies (  :o  ) I've decided to order a TADAC...can't wait!  :D

low.pfile

« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2008, 06:28 am »
Tonight I just my system (computer source in other room) to be able to compare my NM24 DAC (SPDIF) to the Wavelength Brick (USB) -I had been using them in two different systems. I did a test run tonight with a friend he heard the difference. Both are very nice. But they are different. Waiting for my RWA 30.2 amp to show up and break in before doing a serious head to head. I've never heard the AVA DAC so couldn't chime in on a comparison.
ed

ajzepp

« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2008, 07:20 am »
I see you are a fellow monkey lover  :thumb:  I love my Super 8s :D

That's a very nice system you have put together there...I think we probably have similar goals with our gear.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2008, 01:01 pm »
What made you decide to get the TADAC.? Did your hear one hooked up in a system? I think there was a shootout on DAC's here on the circle a few weeks ago and the results were so close it was hard to tell which was the best. Frank's DAC was involved in it.

Cheers
                                            Charlie

ajzepp

« Reply #5 on: 16 May 2008, 02:26 pm »
Hi Charles: I buy audio equipment primarily based on my own research, which may or may not include an actual demo since some things I need to buy on faith and give them an in-home trial. If several products are close in my mind, then I'll also factor in such things as the customer service reputation of the manufacturer, where the product is both designed and assembled, etc. Price is usually a tertiary consideration(I'm not wealthy, just patient), although in this case it just so happens I'm going with the least expensive of the three on my short list.

I've never had an outboard DAC in my system, so this is a new experience for me. I do like having tubes in my chain, but I'm trying to be careful not to sacrifice transparency. The two tube products I currently own - the Butler 5150 hybrid amp and the Mapletree Audio Line 2A SE preamp - are not considered to be all that "tubey", you know? They don't take the sound and just mush it all up in a warm goo...and so far this approach has worked great for me.

From what I've read, Paul's TADAC is pretty much consistent with this approach. I'm really not all that unhappy with the analog output of the Squeezebox Duet thus far, but a lot of folks have told me that after adding a good quality DAC, that the SB is almost unlistenable by itself. I'm interested to see if I have the same experience. I've taken the room out of the equation to the greatest degree I can for the time being (with GIK acoustic panels and Mapleshade speaker plinths), so I should be able to discern any differences in sound quality after the TADAC has some time to show its stuff :) 

mcullinan

« Reply #6 on: 16 May 2008, 02:30 pm »
The Tadac seems a bit gimmicky to me, isnt that the one with the tubeyness knob? Anyways, you will see a huge improvement in sound with an outboard DAC over the Squeeze Box. GL in making a choice.
Mike

Charles Calkins

« Reply #7 on: 16 May 2008, 02:45 pm »
The Bolder cable co. did the digital mods to my SB3. I've an APLHIFI DAC. Hell of a lot better sounding than the SB3 analog out to a pre. Keep us up to date on your project.

Cheers
                                              Charlie

ajzepp

« Reply #8 on: 16 May 2008, 02:53 pm »
The Tadac seems a bit gimmicky to me, isnt that the one with the tubeyness knob? Anyways, you will see a huge improvement in sound with an outboard DAC over the Squeeze Box. GL in making a choice.
Mike

Yep, that's the one. I don't know how gimmicky it is, but I'll find out. I just know that those who have bought his stuff seem quite smitten with it. I'll definitely post back after I've had some time with the thing.

ajzepp

« Reply #9 on: 16 May 2008, 02:54 pm »
The Bolder cable co. did the digital mods to my SB3. I've an APLHIFI DAC. Hell of a lot better sounding than the SB3 analog out to a pre. Keep us up to date on your project.

Cheers
                                              Charlie

Thanks, I definitely will :)  I've read a lot of great things about the Boulder mods...I think Wayne just came up with some new mods for the Duet, so I may take a look at those too, if the TADAC isn't a good fit for me.

Housteau

« Reply #10 on: 16 May 2008, 05:49 pm »
The Monarchy NM24 is a very nice unit.  I have been enjoying mine for a while now.  It is not only a very fine tube DAC, but also a nice tube preamp.  It even has a separate high quality solid state DAC (I find it similar to the Benchmark DAC1 in sound) built in to choose from as well.  It is highly versatile.  Your choice in tubes can really change the character of its sound.

I am also using their Upsampler between my transport and the DAC.  IT really does bring things up to another level.

I had asked Mr. Poon about suggestions for a transport, since they used to make a very good one years ago.  He suggested that if I really wanted to get the best out of the NM24 I should try his AC Regenerator set for 120V @ 120Hz, and his DR-1 digital cables instead.  Both of these items actually did do exactly as he said they would.  I was very impressed.  In fact I had brought them over to a friends system (a non-Monarchy DAC) where the results were repeatable.  He has since bought them himself and is quite pleased.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #11 on: 16 May 2008, 06:05 pm »

Cheers
                                              Charlie

The $5k+ APL DAC1 is released?  I thought it was put off until summetime or later.  Alex's 32 bit x 12 per side DAC?  let's hope it's a hell of a lot better than the Sb3 analog outs.... :)

mateo

« Reply #12 on: 16 May 2008, 06:09 pm »

Cheers
                                              Charlie

The APL DAC is released?  I thought it was put off until summetime or later.  Alex's 32 bit x 12 per side DAC?

Maybe he's talking about a CD player with a digital input? I just checked the APL forum yesterday and there have been no new posts...I would assume there'd be something about a release.

ajzepp

« Reply #13 on: 16 May 2008, 06:40 pm »
Housteau: What does the AC regenerator do? Is it a power conditioner? I'd have to say the Monarchy NM24 is the one I've had my eye on the longest...I just like to buy American (or Canadian, in the case of my Mapletree preamp) whenever possible, so I figured I'd give the TADAC a slight edge. If it's not up to par, though, it's going back for the Monarchy piece.

Looks like Paul got the TADAC off to me today...expected arrival is on Tuesday....can't wait to fire it up!

Charles Calkins

« Reply #14 on: 16 May 2008, 06:42 pm »
My DAC is a Phillips SACD 1000 that Alex modified for me to be both a CD or SACD player and a DAC. It has the Crystal DAC's. When Alex gets back from Europe I'll send it to him for upgrades to the AKM 32 bit DAC's 
 Sorry for the confusion. Hope this explains everything.

Cheers
                                     Charlie

Housteau

« Reply #15 on: 16 May 2008, 07:06 pm »
Housteau: What does the AC regenerator do? Is it a power conditioner?

Yes.  It takes the AC from the wall and converts it to DC.  Then, from there back to clean AC with the help of a 200W amplifier.  You can dial in the voltage and frequency desired.  Mr Poon likes the higher frequencies which allow the caps to charge quicker and makes everything more efficient.  It only takes a 100W input, but that is enough to service a digital front end.

mcullinan

« Reply #16 on: 16 May 2008, 07:36 pm »
Here is a list of Dacs and where you can buy them. I believe they are being updated now.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/all-dacs-money-can-buy-pt-2-a-325941/
Mike

ajzepp

« Reply #17 on: 16 May 2008, 08:49 pm »
Here is a list of Dacs and where you can buy them. I believe they are being updated now.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/all-dacs-money-can-buy-pt-2-a-325941/
Mike

Dang, that's a shitload of DACs!