The pursuit of audio nirvana

giantsteps

The pursuit of audio nirvana
« on: 11 May 2008, 03:20 am »

What's the obsession?. I went through it for half a century. Stop comparing , settle down with your system and spend the money on music you love.

Frank
« Last Edit: 11 May 2008, 03:06 pm by giantsteps »

giantsteps

Re: audio nirvana
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2008, 03:59 am »
Thank God the musician in me keeps me in check because we know what the real deal is with A Zildjian smashing on my left, my friend on the right with a Selmer tenor and a guy playing a 200 year old Italian bass. When oh when will you realize that your 1,000, 10,000. 100,000. 1.000,000 system is a mere replication of the real deal?

Frank  
« Last Edit: 13 May 2008, 07:59 pm by giantsteps »

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
Re: audio nirvana
« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2008, 04:01 am »
I must say that even with all the changes in my system this year i have twice as much money invested in music as i do in equipment and i guess in reality it is what it is ,all about the music. But i am not going back to an intigrated  from bestbuy you will have to drag my odyssey mono extremes from my dead cold hands  :lol:

BrassEar

Re: The pursuit of audio nirvana
« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2008, 05:46 pm »
There is a fairly well known audio reviewer that I met once. I was invited to his house to hear his system. This guy had about ten CDs in his listening room. I asked him where the rest of his music collection was and he said - this is it!

He probably had way over $10K in audio hardware and about $100 bucks worth of CDs. And most of those were pop crap IMO.

nathanm

« Reply #4 on: 13 May 2008, 07:13 pm »
Live music and recordings are two different things and as much as people want to make them identical it won't happen.  This is okay.  Enjoy it.  Flying an airplane and playing Flight Simulator aren't the same thing either.  Sometimes live music is better, sometimes recordings are.  There's no ONE thing that you have to achieve.  Until we learn how to directly manipulate our brain electronics we'll just have to roll with what we have, which is pretty damn good.

giantsteps

« Reply #5 on: 13 May 2008, 09:26 pm »
There is a fairly well known audio reviewer that I met once. I was invited to his house to hear his system. This guy had about ten CDs in his listening room. I asked him where the rest of his music collection was and he said - this is it!

He probably had way over $10K in audio hardware and about $100 bucks worth of CDs. And most of those were pop crap IMO.

Obviously this dude has no passion for music. He's busy analyzing and comparing equipment.

Frank

jimdgoulding

« Reply #6 on: 13 May 2008, 09:43 pm »
I know that's right!  What everybody said.

richidoo

« Reply #7 on: 13 May 2008, 09:48 pm »
Live music and recorded are both valid and both fun. You can't go to enough concerts to get totally fixed if you are a serious music lover.  A decent stereo allows greater enjoyment of recordings, up to and sometimes even surpassing live concerts which if amplified have nowhere near the resolution or balance of a quality recording.  Some recordings are artwork in themselves, with no chance to hear it played live, some genres are dead and no chance to hear someone play live like that ever again. Getting the most enjoyment out of these is important. But that's the limit for me.

Obsessive chasing of increased resolution, extension, power is emotionally stimulating. It allows the muisc to have a stronger emotional effect on you. When you felt it once, you want it again. But you can't just rewind and do it again...  Like every emotionally stimulating experience, the brain downregulates the response so that you don't become a crackhead from hifi. You get used to anything, no matter how incredible. But like a crackhead when it wears off  you want it again. A pleasure fix at the push of a button, what could be better? That's what I think drives audiophiles to continually upgrade and let the music itself fall to second fiddle. Or those that use 10 discs containing a thrill to be played with ever more intensity. If the thrill was coming only from the music itself, any adequate system would do, because we all got high on recorded music using far lesser systems than now.

I guess there is a point where the system is giving you enough out of the music. You can hear enough to get the thrill on most music. Some people want more, some less. Some happily drive Yugo some NEED a Ferrari. Mfgs happily provide to each his own.  I'm headed back toward simplification, having finally realized what is important and which equipment delivers it. It is a fun ride learning and trying everything, but boring after a while, compared to the thrill of music listening, even on lesser system. Kenny Dorham solos are almost all shitty recordings by today's hifi standards so an ultra low distortion "audiophile" system makes no difference, and usually makes it sound worse than that old record player with the built in paper driver for which the recording was intended. Tubes, paper mid driver, NOS dac and a quiet room are all I need. Lots of effort and money to find that out though. Nice thread Frank
Rich

miklorsmith

« Reply #8 on: 13 May 2008, 09:54 pm »
Well said Rich.  Funny, I'm extremely picky about my main setup but tolerate the second system's many failings without issue.  Heck, music on the car radio gets me excited.  I don't know what all that means.

Jim N.

• Who you callin' an audiophile?????
« Reply #9 on: 13 May 2008, 10:35 pm »
....is like a dog chasing its own tail.

Enjoy your music....