If you still love Lp's-You can make a difference

wowflutter

« on: 19 Oct 2003, 06:52 am »
I don't want this to sound like an advertisement but I have an idea that may get noticed by the powers that be (wishful thinking?)-
When the big wigs look at Soundscan's record sales statistics, Lp sales are such a small portion because most Lp buyers use mail order companies that don't report sales to Soundscan. How many of us buy Lp's at Walmart?   There is a place that does report sales to soundscan and they are dirt cheap to boot. What's even better.........FREE SHIPPING. Would you believe it's Circuit City? Now you have to order it from the website but that's no big deal. I don't work for Circuit City so I really don't care who you buy from, but it would be nice to have your Lp purchase reported to Soundscan. The more that shows up, the more the labels might release.  If every person just ordered one record from circuitcity.com, do you think it would be noticed? Maybe it's just wishfull thinking. Maybe this website just doesn't get viewed buy enough people. I know I've tried to spread the word to other Lp buyers I know. What do you guys think? Maybe we should set a date and everyone place an order on the same day? That would be kinda cool. It would be great if Circuit City even took notice and started carrying them in the store.

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #1 on: 19 Oct 2003, 11:41 am »
Was there a way to search the CC site that ONLY turns up artists available on LP??? I was on the site earlier and had to search by artist first and then stumble on which were available in "different format."

Brad

« Reply #2 on: 19 Oct 2003, 03:24 pm »
Searching was a bit of a pain, but I found Alison Krauss on vinyl for a nice price.

What format is 'CS'?   Cd-single?
(nevermind - just figured out it was cassette   :roll: )
I'd kind of forgotten about my old buddy the cassette format.

bob82274

« Reply #3 on: 19 Oct 2003, 05:25 pm »
Well I tried their power search which has an option for "Other Formats (Mini Disk, LP, etc.)"  but that didn't do a thing.  Returned the same info as a regular search.  

One side note though.  Anyone know what the difference would be for a $30 LP version of Kind Of Blue vs an $80 version?

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #4 on: 19 Oct 2003, 05:52 pm »
Classic Records supposedly made a few KOB's by accident in blue vinyl. I think they charged $100, since they were limited to just 100 copies.
Those sold out. So they pressed more in blue vinyl---

http://www.classicrecs.com/frames/shopthecatalog_frameset.htm

Can't link directly to the KOB, so you'll have to do a search.

mgalusha

« Reply #5 on: 19 Oct 2003, 10:15 pm »
You can sort of browse CC's site for other formats by entering say the first letter or two for the artist in the power serach and of course clearing all the check boxes except the Other Formats.

I tried some at random and every artist that was returned had at least one recording on an alternate format. Of course that might be a cassette but it's better than searching by just artists. I see that Sony released a box set of AC/DC on vinyl last week. Very pricey though - $239.98.  :o

Mike

wowflutter

test
« Reply #6 on: 20 Oct 2003, 12:57 pm »
test

wowflutter

Lp's
« Reply #7 on: 20 Oct 2003, 01:03 pm »
I usually look for Lp's by people that I already know are releasing stuff in that format. Just about everything that is in prduction is on CC's site.-
I've seen LOT's of jazz for 9.99 (Rollins, Wes Montgomery, Monk Etc)-
I got Flaming Lips for under $13. Ryan Adams for the same. I've seen Lucinda, Rush, Uncle Tupelo, Wilco, Nora Jones, Miles, Peter Gabriel, Genesis, Drive By Truckers. Etc
-I wish there was a better way to search but I don't really have time to surf anyway, I usually know what I'm looking for.-
Wow, That alot for ACDC!

JoshK

« Reply #8 on: 20 Oct 2003, 01:18 pm »
wowflutter,

Thanks for the tip!  I wonder if buying records at the Virgin Mega Store shows up on Scansales or whether buying records via Tower Records online does.  Those are the two ways I purchase MOST of my new vinyl.

On another note, it is obvious that Virgin and Tower Records in Manhattan have taken notice of the pick up in LP sales.  Just walk into any Virgin and they have a dedicated display upfront with various 'Hot" vinyl and a little blurb about how some are turning back to vinyl.  They also typically place a handful of LPs with the CDs in the new release display as you walk in and the LPs usually don't last long.  I typically go over there every Tuesday afternoon on my lunch break and pick up any interesting new releases on vinyl before they are gone.  

I have also found, with these two big boy record companies, that the price of new releases on vinyl is typically a few dollars less than on CD unless it is a double LP and then it is more, but usually a really good pressing.

Tonto Yoder

Re: Lp's
« Reply #9 on: 20 Oct 2003, 01:19 pm »
Quote from: wowflutter

I've seen LOT's of jazz for 9.99 (Rollins, Wes Montgomery, Monk Etc)-

Wow, That's  alot for ACDC!

Those cheap jazz LP's are Original Jazz Classics from Fantasy. You MAY want to order them directly from Fantasy: this won't be any cheaper, but you'll definitely be encouraging vinyl production.  Fantasy's website unfortunately doesn't sell vinyl: you have to order their catalogue (which is sizeable and detailed) and order LP's from that. The catalogue is great for browsing.

As to AC/DC, that box set is 15 albums, so the $200 price isn't outrageous at about $13/LP.

wowflutter

Lp's
« Reply #10 on: 20 Oct 2003, 01:33 pm »
I'm sureTower would report to Soundscan.  I live out in the middle of nowhere, so our local stores think that Lp's went out of production long ago.   I do have a little secret store though. There is this old lady that used to own a record store that went out af business years ago in one of our more sizable Indiana towns. She took all her inventory and moved to a little hole in the wall town. She's only open a few hours a week and she doesn't sell too many. But man oh man. I'd guess she has around 50,000 records still sealed that was released mainly in the early 70's. Only drawback is, she goes by Goldmine's price guide (although it's an old edition).  I have gotten a few absolute steals a few times. I picked up the first Elf lp for $12 for an unopened original. Also an original Nashville Skyline Quad Lp. That one isn't going to be opened. I hope she doen't learn about Ebay.