SlimServer is stealing my cursor

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
SlimServer is stealing my cursor
« on: 8 May 2008, 05:13 pm »
Ok, this is bizarre and unusual.  Before I made myself look like an ass, I thought I'd try to give better information as to "what/how/when", but this is so intermittent and random, I've simply given up. I've not been able to pinpoint when it happens. Sometime it does, sometimes it doesn't.

Here's the scenario:
I'm sitting at my home PC online. The Windows I've got open are AOL for my ISP (obviously since I'm online), Slimserver {SS} (always on),  my AOL email Window, and maybe one or two forum Windows.

Here's the problem:
While I'm typing away (talking to you folks), the SS does it's automatic refresh of it's page. The page blinks, and any changed information on the screen is updated and there's an audible click when this happens (if the speakers are on). Fine. This seems to be what's supposed to happen. BUT, SS "steals" my cursor.  :scratch:
Normally, when you're on a web page you can use the mouse wheel to scroll up and down the page you're on. But when my cursor is "stolen", and I scroll with the wheel, I can see the SS page scrolling (the forum window is on top on the SlimServer page, but scooted over just enough that I can still see the left side of the SS pages song list).

I'm not a good enough typist to be able to look at the screen while I type, I have to watch my fingers. Soooo....If the PC speakers are turned off and I don't can't hear the click, I've been typing my arse off and there's nothing on the forum page.  :banghead:

I've adjusted the SS settings so it doesn't happen near as often, but then when I'm using the SS, it takes forever to update.

Anybody seen this before?
Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks,
Bob

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: SlimServer is stealing my cursor
« Reply #1 on: 8 May 2008, 05:59 pm »
WILD!  Nope, SS (or SC in my case..Squeeze Center) leaves me alone, even when refreshing the Now Playing time played markers, etc.  Sounds like you have naughty bits.  Have you tried reinstalling Slim Server?  What version are your running (although don't know why I asked that question cuz all my previous SS versions left my cursor alone too).

nathanm

« Reply #2 on: 8 May 2008, 06:33 pm »
So the SlimServer webpage window is stealing focus from your other window when it refreshes?  Does it only do that for the SlimServer page or other sites as well?  Maybe the Slim Server page has got extra fiddly bits going on behind the scenes that a normal website wouldn't.  Like perhaps when the average webpage updates ad banners or whatever it isn't capable of stealing window focus, but something Slim Server is doing does.   

Does it make a difference where your mouse cursor is positioned?  Is the mouse cursor hovering over the SS window and not your post window?

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 8 May 2008, 08:13 pm »
So the SlimServer webpage window is stealing focus from your other window when it refreshes?
Yup. Exactly.

Does it only do that for the SlimServer page or other sites as well?  Maybe the Slim Server page has got extra fiddly bits going on behind the scenes that a normal website wouldn't.  Like perhaps when the average webpage updates ad banners or whatever it isn't capable of stealing window focus, but something Slim Server is doing does.   

Does it make a difference where your mouse cursor is positioned?  Is the mouse cursor hovering over the SS window and not your post window?
It's only SS. If I turn SS off, it does not happen again. The mouse pointer is hovering over the Window I happen to be working on at the time.
I am forced to click on the Window (forum reply page) I'm typing on to regain control of the cursor.

Yea, it definitely strange. Had me scratching my head since the first day I installed SS.
Regarding reinstalling SS......That's a last resort. I've just recently got the preferences set the way I like them. Doing that again would suck.

Bob

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 8 May 2008, 08:17 pm »
What version are your running
If memory serves, it's something like ....  6.5.4 I think.
It's NOT the 7.0 SqueezeCenter.

Bob

nathanm

« Reply #5 on: 8 May 2008, 08:24 pm »
What if you Minimize the SS window?  Does that help?

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 8 May 2008, 08:32 pm »
Hmmm, interesting. I'll try that tonight when I get home.  :thumb:

Bob

richidoo

« Reply #7 on: 8 May 2008, 08:39 pm »
That happens to me once in a while with other programs beside SS. I use SC7 now, running as a service, and it still happens, has for a couple years, just once in a while. It is just a Windows thing. I can grab back the cursor by Alt + TAbbing to another program and back. Usually I can see the cursor at the bottom of the screen if I pull back on the mouse when it is "Lost" but move the mouse up and it disappears.

Windows XP has a new Service Pack out now, I wouldn't be surprised if this little personality quirk is addressed there... but you never know.

Also, there is a setting in Control Panel | Mouse called "Hide pointer while typing"  Maybe that is the problem if you are using a text box like forums/email etc. Maybe try unchecking that and see what happens...  

You can usually find other people with same problem and sometimes even a fix if you google the symptom and prowl the geek forums. There are some very scary little geniuses out there that love to help.
Good Luck Bob
Rich

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 8 May 2008, 09:54 pm »
Thanks Rich,
After reading your first paragraph, I thought you were talking about the Windows feature "hide cursor while typing", but based on your third paragraph I'm second guessing your meaning of the first paragraph.  :scratch:

I've always had the "hide cursor when typing" feature turned off. For me, it's an annoyance when I have to wiggle my mouse to find the cursor. Good idea though. :thumb:

Having the latest and greatest Windows service pack would be nice, but I'd prefer to wait until they get the inevitable bugs out of it.  :lol:

Regarding prowling the geek forums, I thought AC WAS the biggest collection of geeks.  :rotflmao:

Bob

EDIT: The SP3 is 316 Meg!  :o NOT on a dial-up connection!  :nono:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 9 May 2008, 09:20 pm »
BINGO:thumb:

This morning I was able to repeatedly verify this:
I opened an AudioCircle thread reply page in one Window. I typed some gibberish....works fine.
In the other Window, I opened the SlimServer (maximized, but behind the AC page).
Then I waited for the dreaded "click". Just as planned, it stole my cursor.
Next I minimized SS, typed a few keystrokes to verify I have the ability to type. Works fine.
Then I waited for the "click". But this time I still have the ability to type.
I was able to maximize and minimize the SS software several times. Each time the outcome was predicable: "SS MINimized"; cursor always works. "SS MAXimized"; Works until the screen refresh.

Nathan, You nailed it man! Thanks.
Now, this seems like a huge hint as to what's going on......How can I FIX this.  :scratch:

Bob

richidoo

« Reply #10 on: 9 May 2008, 10:12 pm »
Thanks Rich,
After reading your first paragraph, I thought you were talking about the Windows feature "hide cursor while typing", but based on your third paragraph I'm second guessing your meaning of the first paragraph.  :scratch:

Ahhhh, I can see how you could get confused thinking that I actually HAD a meaning... ;)

Glad you found a workable solution. They can put that one in SP4... haha

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 9 May 2008, 10:20 pm »
Ahhhh, I can see how you could get confused thinking that I actually HAD a meaning... ;)
:rotflmao:   :thumb:
Unfortunately, there probably won't be a SP4. We'll all eventually be assimilated into Vista.  :o :shake:

Yea, the 'solution' is definitely workable, but I'd love to have the problem go away. It's one of those anal retentive things, but I can't stand having minimized Windows. I'd rather have them staggered, like playing cards in your hand.
Hopefully Nathan, or somebody sees what I wrote as a clue to a more permanent repair.

"That would be cool"
Bob

nathanm

« Reply #12 on: 9 May 2008, 10:27 pm »
I'm not entirely familar with the status quo of Windows browsers and whatnot, but you might want to try having sites in multiple Tabs instead of in multiple browser windows.  That might also fix the focus stealing, but I'm not certain.  A quick look at Microsoft's site shows that IE7 does have Tab support.  I checked the one Windows machine here but it did not have Tabs, but that was v6.

Len_Dreyer

« Reply #13 on: 9 May 2008, 11:12 pm »
Bob,

Following up on Nathanm's thoughts, try a different browser. If you using Internet Explorer, consider Mozilla's Firefox.