Phillip Seymour Hoffman x3

ajzepp

Phillip Seymour Hoffman x3
« on: 1 May 2008, 11:37 pm »
PSH has been my favorite actor for some time now. From his amazingly penetrating performance in "Love Liza", to the unwaivering, cold-hearted bad guy in Mission Impossible III, this guy steals the show every time he's on the screen, IMO.

Anyway, I just happened to catch three of his more recent films over the past week, and each of them was not only a terrific performance, but also a very entertaining movie.

1) Charlie Wilson's War - The "stars" of this movie were enough to carry a very well-written, well-acted film, but PSH was on FIRE!  His character had me in stitches!

2) Before the Devil Knows You're Dead - Sidney Lumet, anyone? Apparently the mere presence of PSH's genius can bring about a convincing performance from even Ethan Hawke  :icon_lol:   Add in a very, very, VERY hot looking Marisa Tomei, who has clearly lost any on-screen inhibitions she may have once had, and you have one very entertaining time at the movies.

3) The Savages - I absolutely loved this movie. It's got a big heart, even if it's buried beneath neuroses, tense family dynamics, uncomfortable situations, and a bit of a focus on end of life issues...very well-acted, well-written, and nicely presented.

PSH is the MAN!  :thumb:

JoshK

Re: Phillip Seymour Hoffman x3
« Reply #1 on: 1 May 2008, 11:43 pm »
 "Love Liza" : haven't seen it

Mission Impossible III : haven't seen it

Charlie Wilson's War : only watched about 1/2 hour so far but plan to finish soon

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead : liked it....Tomei was super sexxy. 

The Savages : haven't seen it

But I agree PSH is a superb actor that does a lot of strange roles.  How about the role he did as the gay writer...forget the movie....or the pedophile...forget the name of that one too.  Weird roles, but great acting. 

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 1 May 2008, 11:48 pm »
gay writer movie = Capote
pedophile =? Happiness?

ajzepp

« Reply #3 on: 2 May 2008, 12:51 am »
He was excellent in Capote...and thanks for reminding me about Happiness...that's one I haven't seen yet.

Word to the wise - don't watch Love Liza unless you are prepared for a pretty deep, depressing film. It's an amazing performance, but it's not a "fun" movie to watch. That's actually why I thought it was so good...it didn't sell out in any way.

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #4 on: 2 May 2008, 01:29 am »
Yes, Hoffman is just a wonderful actor, I really like his work.

"Before the Devil Knows You're Dead" was one of my sleeper goodie movies of the year.

"The Savages" another well actored movie, enjoyable for my tastes.

I'll have to rent "Wilson's War" I just recently found out Hoffman was in that one.

He's a guy I will see a movie for even if the movie didn't initially attract me.

ZLS

« Reply #5 on: 2 May 2008, 02:18 am »
State & Main-PSH as an idealistic writer having his novel made into a Hollywood movie that is being filmed in a small town.  It is a really fun movie to watch; great social satire.

nodiak

« Reply #6 on: 2 May 2008, 03:06 am »
Hey thanks for bringing Phillip up, I'm another big fan Went out and rented Love Liza and BeforeThe Devil Knows You're Dead. He's got rare focus and skills!
edit: Watched Before the Devil Knows last night and agree with all the positive comments. But man, that was very emotionally intense. Watched the how it was made feature after, Sidney Lumet is great too! Love Liza - more great acting all around, yes depressing as hell but sprinkled with some optional sitcom like hilarity. Don't need any more downer movies for a while tho...
« Last Edit: 3 May 2008, 04:29 am by nodiak »

ajzepp

« Reply #7 on: 3 May 2008, 07:36 am »
Hey thanks for bringing Phillip up, I'm another big fan Went out and rented Love Liza and BeforeThe Devil Knows You're Dead. He's got rare focus and skills!
edit: Watched Before the Devil Knows last night and agree with all the positive comments. But man, that was very emotionally intense. Watched the how it was made feature after, Sidney Lumet is great too! Love Liza - more great acting all around, yes depressing as hell but sprinkled with some optional sitcom like hilarity. Don't need any more downer movies for a while tho...

Glad you enjoyed them! Those are pretty intense films to watch back to back, so I can totally understand that you're probably ready for some lighter stuff next :)

ajzepp

« Reply #8 on: 3 May 2008, 07:37 am »
State & Main-PSH as an idealistic writer having his novel made into a Hollywood movie that is being filmed in a small town.  It is a really fun movie to watch; great social satire.

Added that one to my Netflix queue, thanks!

jimdgoulding

« Reply #9 on: 4 May 2008, 11:28 pm »
He's a crafty little sleezeball in an out of the way but excellent crime drama, Montana.  One of the best movies you never saw.
« Last Edit: 5 May 2008, 10:57 pm by jimdgoulding »

likecoiledsteel

« Reply #10 on: 7 May 2008, 01:20 am »
Great actor. Excellent roles in:
Magnolia
Boogie Nights
HBO - empire Falls

JP78

« Reply #11 on: 9 May 2008, 05:03 am »
lebowski lebowski?