what is the use of my Squeezebox3 if 99% of music cannot be used?

Double Ugly

Kryill,
I would assume you can transfer it as follows:
LP to CD
CD to Harddrive...
T

I agree.  It appears Sonic Perfectionists have no problem transferring your LPs to CD, they just won't take it direct to any sort of memory medium. 

It's darned expensive IMHO ($20+ per LP for the best transfer :o), but at least you'd have your music in a format much more easily transferred to hard drive by us "end user" types.  I have a large stack of LPs I'd dearly love to have properly transferred, even if required to then transfer them to hard drive myself, but the Sonic Perfectionists' rate is a bit beyond what I'm willing to pay.

Then, too, I'm a "show me" sort in that I'd like to hear what a transferred LP sounds like before committing to thousands of dollars worth of transfers.  I own several remastered CDs from a well known recording professional which are simply not very good IMO, and I'll never again purchase one of his remasters without first hearing it via my system.  Likewise, until I've heard what they're (Sonic Perfectionists) capable of, I've no reason to believe I'd care for their product.

Doublej

I don't read it that way. I didn't see anything regarding LP to CD conversion. Did I miss it?

HChi

Kryill,
With a huge collection of LP intended to be converted, have you ever considered doing it yourself with either TASCAM DV-RA1000HD, http://www.tascam.com/details;8,11,42.html or Alesis Masterlink, http://www.alesis.com/masterlink

In case you don't need to worry what type of table, arm, and catridge are used as you are using your own. Either unit would allow you to archive in 24bit/96khz AIFF (Tascam can go even higher), which you can down convert to other formats of your liking later. You could either go direct in or patching through your pre to gain more "flavor" and other perks.

It sounds  a bit cumbersome, but I thought that may be one of the better means to get good conversion of your priced and cherished collections.

Howard

Wayne1

Kyrill,

HD Tracks offers a fairly large catalog of independent labels. All of the music can be downloaded in either AIFF, FLAC or 320 MP3. This site is run by the Chesky brothers. They do take care of the music.

Unfortunately for you, the downloads, at this time, are only for US residents.

Music Giants offers music for download but you have to use IE.

archive.org offers LIVE music downloads in flac from many artists.

EBU European Broadcasting Union is offering files in flac

flac music links is a collection of links from the flac site of artists and label who sell downloads in flac.

As for your vinyl, I wouldn't really trust anyone with my collection. While it would be nice to have some of my vinyl moved to flac the logistics of shipping records about is more than I am willing to deal with. It is entirely legal for you to make "back-ups of your own music.

I will also suggest you obtain a Hagerman Ripper and make your own files from your vinyl. In the long run it will probably be cheaper and better sounding than paying shipping charges and fees to have someone else transfer your vinyl.

nathanm

I don't think you could produce a single person who has never violated a copyright law.  It's impossible.  It's about as likely as driving your car down the road and never hitting a bug.  I'm sure that thinking about a specific album and playing a song in your head will be illegal, if it isn't already.  Eventually we will have a utopia where every musician simply thinks up their own songs and then describes them verbally to crowds of people (who must of course sign a 150 page Non-Disclosure Agreement beforehand).  That will avoid this whole unpleasant recording and performance business which causes so much trouble.  Not to mention you won't have to bother with the tedious process of learning to play an instrument.  Just don't hum the tune to people is all, humming is illegal.  No singing either, you never know if someone might hear it and rip you off.  Just a descriptive bit of copy like, "Okay my song starts out with a really cool drum fill and then it goes into this great guitar riff in A major, a guy starts singing about this girl he broke up with and then it ends with a heartfelt harmonica solo.  That'll be 99 cents."  No records, no copying, everyone's happy.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Kryll, I've not done any downloads (except for years ago when it was "legal" and everybody was doing it :nono:), but I think Rhapsody and Napster have legal downloads ("Legal" by definition of RIAA's rules).

Limewire is P2P and one of the sites that may get you busted.

Bob

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Kyrill, here's a new thread regarding places to download:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=54138.msg483779;topicseen#new