The Golden Compass,,,,,,, Sequel???

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
The Golden Compass,,,,,,, Sequel???
« on: 30 Apr 2008, 12:42 am »
I just got done watching one of the best movies of 2008. This wasn't a great movie but it was very entertaining with a star studded cast that also includes a soundtrack especially stands out. It's one of those few movies that actually had as an option DTS-ES or true 6.1 surround. :o It's been awhile since I've had the pleasure to fully listen to what my system can really do and I walked away from this movie very pleased. aa I gave it a 4 star out of 5. I could have very easily given it 4.5 except for the "Pirates Of The Carribean" ending. :roll: And what makes matters worse is there's a lot of talk of no sequel because of a lower theater draw than was expected. I think they were hoping for another "Pirates" or "The Ring" type of media interest that just never materialized.  :dunno: Hopefully it'll do getter on the rental & PPV circuit cuz it would be a damn shame to leave such a great story just a hangin'. :slap:

Get out there and rent this f  :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: er!  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

topround

Re: The Golden Compass,,,,,,, Sequel???
« Reply #1 on: 30 Apr 2008, 12:52 am »
OK,,,I will!!
thanks robin

mike

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #2 on: 30 Apr 2008, 01:06 am »
Robin,

i thought it was an ok movie...not great, but not bad either.

Go read the book!   :lol:

George

topround

« Reply #3 on: 3 May 2008, 03:54 pm »
Robin,
Great special effects but shitty movie.
Sorry I  guess if you read the book it might be more appealing but the story, complex, was not very well told or developed.
Sin City,,,now that's a movie :thumb:

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 3 May 2008, 05:19 pm »
I don't read books I'm afraid. That's something I've never cared to do.  :dunno:

Bigfish

« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2008, 12:40 am »
I just got done watching one of the best movies of 2008. This wasn't a great movie but it was very entertaining with a star studded cast that also includes a soundtrack especially stands out. It's one of those few movies that actually had as an option DTS-ES or true 6.1 surround. :o It's been awhile since I've had the pleasure to fully listen to what my system can really do and I walked away from this movie very pleased. aa I gave it a 4 star out of 5. I could have very easily given it 4.5 except for the "Pirates Of The Carribean" ending. :roll: And what makes matters worse is there's a lot of talk of no sequel because of a lower theater draw than was expected. I think they were hoping for another "Pirates" or "The Ring" type of media interest that just never materialized.  :dunno: Hopefully it'll do getter on the rental & PPV circuit cuz it would be a damn shame to leave such a great story just a hangin'. :slap:

Cheers,
Robin

Robin:

Thanks to your recommendation we rented "Golden Compass" this weekend.  My wife and I throughly enjoyed the movie.  It probably has the best surround sound track I have heard on my system!

Ken

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2008, 01:15 am »

Cheers,
Robin

Robin:

Thanks to your recommendation we rented "Golden Compass" this weekend.  My wife and I throughly enjoyed the movie.  It probably has the best surround sound track I have heard on my system!

Ken

Cool Beans! :thumb:

I'm glad to hear I wasn't alone in my enjoyment of this soundtrack. I only hope Hollywood will finish the storyline. I don't read books so I'll never know unless they follow thru with a sequel.  :drool:

Cheers,
Robin

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2008, 02:30 am »
I don't read books I'm afraid. That's something I've never cared to do.  :dunno:

http://www.rif.org/

George

BobM

« Reply #8 on: 12 May 2008, 12:42 pm »
My family has been drooling over this move for quite some time now. My younger daughters saw it in the theater and loved it. We saw it as a family (twice actually) this weekend and do want a sequal, although I'm not sure we're going to get one. I do think the next movie could use a bit more tension in it, but overall it was very enjoyable, if geared obviously toward young children. There are a few things I would like explained (I guess I'll need to read the book to find out though):

- What are the 3 dots on the minestry man's palm? Do all minestry weasels have this mark?
- What are those power orbs that just about every piece of machinery uses?
- They say the minestry is powerful and controlling, but there was no proof of their sinister ways in the plot. Nobody really looked opressed anywhere. In fact, things looked splendid.
- The dust and other workds thing is theory, but where is the proof or the old textx with the prophesy and such. They need more of these things to build the intrigue.

Enjoy,
Bob
« Last Edit: 12 May 2008, 01:12 pm by BobM »

PhilNYC

« Reply #9 on: 12 May 2008, 12:50 pm »
I thought this movie was horrible.  My wife and I looked at each other about 30 minutes into it, and she asked me "do you know what's going on?"....and I said "I have no idea...". :dunno:  And I usually love these kinds of films.  Even the ending was terrible...one of the most unsatisfying "cliffhangers" I can remember...most telling to me was the fact that I had no desire whatsoever to see the sequel as the credits started to roll.  The only highlight for me was the battle between the two bears near the end; perhaps one of the best CGI-based battles between mammals I've ever seen...the fight had action, tension, emotion, etc. 

Fwiw, I never read the book.  I think if I had, the story might not have been nearly as confusing as it was...

ajzepp

« Reply #10 on: 12 May 2008, 08:02 pm »
I thought this movie was horrible.  My wife and I looked at each other about 30 minutes into it, and she asked me "do you know what's going on?"....and I said "I have no idea...". :dunno: 

:lol:

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #11 on: 12 May 2008, 08:11 pm »
I thought this movie was horrible.  My wife and I looked at each other about 30 minutes into it, and she asked me "do you know what's going on?"....and I said "I have no idea...". :dunno: 

Maybe you should rent the DVD and watch it again.  :scratch: I'm always picking up on stuff I missed the 2nd time around Phil.

Oh yeah,,, that rack of lamb sure looked incredibly eatible.  :drool:

Cheers,
Robin

topround

« Reply #12 on: 12 May 2008, 09:20 pm »
I just watched the "Diving Bell and the Butterfly" a french film,

it was great

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #13 on: 12 May 2008, 09:24 pm »
Watched it and thought it was good

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #14 on: 12 May 2008, 09:30 pm »
I just watched the "Diving Bell and the Butterfly" a french film,

it was great
Hea,,,,, once you were able to get a handle on what was going on. It might have been a little more interesting if they had actually showed what happened to the guy a little earlier in the movie tho.

LadyHawk75

« Reply #15 on: 14 May 2008, 10:12 am »
My daughter and I just got done watching The Golden Compass. Both of us enjoyed it. I never read the book, but I understood it fine. Also, books that are made into movies never have everything in them. There isn't enough time to add it all in. They have to cut a lot of things out that they add in, just to stick with the length of the movie they're given. I really do hope they come out with the sequel. Because I will definitely be watching it.

Voodoo Rufus

« Reply #16 on: 17 May 2008, 02:08 am »
I liked the movie, but it felt like there was a lot cut out of it. I'll be New Line will release an extended version like they did with LOTR and that will fill in many of the gaps and slow the "rushed" feeling that the movie had. I think it has potential to be a decent trilogy if New Line pursues it.