Anyone Using Quicken On The Mac?

John151

Anyone Using Quicken On The Mac?
« on: 29 Apr 2008, 04:39 am »
I am a long time quicken user on the PC, and am trying to convert to the Mac version.  Has anyone done this?   So far, I am absolutely hating the mac version (not that I am all that crazy about the PC version, but it works).  Am I missing something here, or is the Mac version a complete waste of time?   :duh:

TomS

Re: Anyone Using Quicken On The Mac?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Apr 2008, 12:54 pm »
I looked into it, but with a mix of PC's and Macs, decided the conversion process was too risky and I didn't want to be stuck with only one native file version.  It appears the Mac version is also seriously compromised in terms of functionality.  I read the first few "it doesn't have xyz's" and quit reading.  IMHO the web, PC, and Mac versions should all be transparent, which they are not.

Tom

mike1964

« Reply #2 on: 29 Apr 2008, 09:49 pm »
I am a long time quicken user on the PC, and am trying to convert to the Mac version.  Has anyone done this?   So far, I am absolutely hating the mac version (not that I am all that crazy about the PC version, but it works).  Am I missing something here, or is the Mac version a complete waste of time?   :duh:
Converting from the PC to Mac version is completely frustrating; it won't import all data, transactions, payees, etc.  I gave up and switched to Moneydance.  Updates are free once you purchase (quite refreshing for a Quicken user), and it is multi-platform, so you can either install on the PC, import from Quicken and then install on the Mac and do an export from the Windows database and import on Mac, or you can export from Windows Quicken and import into Mac Moneydance.  Worked perfectly for me, and they have an active forum for questions if you run into problems.  There is also a free trial so you can d/l and try to see if it works for you at moneydance.com

John151

« Reply #3 on: 30 Apr 2008, 01:39 am »
Here are my issues with Quicken Mac:

1)  Did not convert ANYTHING from portfolio (over a dozen mutual funds).
2)  Does not seem to recognize new transactions from bank accounts.
3)  Interface is horrible - hard to explain - but trust me, it sucks. 
4)  there are probably more, but I just can't get past the above. 

Thanks for the tip on MoneyDance.  I will check it out.

John151

« Reply #4 on: 30 Apr 2008, 03:59 am »
I think we may have a winner here!

The only issue so far is that MoneyDance does not have the connection info for any of my banks.  I will need to get the OFX data from the banks, and manually enter it.  Until then, I can download the OFX file, and then upload.  Clumsy, but it works. 

Martyn

« Reply #5 on: 30 Apr 2008, 07:56 pm »
John, I'll be very interested to hear your opinions once you've been using moneydance for a while. I've been a Quicken user since its DOS days and also used QuickTax for a few years when it was first launched. I've come to strongly dislike Intuit and have vowed never to buy another of its products. I switched from QuickTax some years ago, but haven't found an alternative to Quicken...until maybe now!

mike1964

« Reply #6 on: 30 Apr 2008, 08:07 pm »
I've been using Moneydance for about 6 months (importing about 10 years of Quicken data) with only one problem that was related to my bank changing their online access info.  It was solved within about a day by the Moneydance team after being reported.   The program itself has worked great, and I've never looked back.  I even migrated from Windows after a couple of months, and it was extremely simple, just an install of the program on the mac, and then point it to the data file.  I'm happy and will never go back to Intuit.

Martyn

« Reply #7 on: 30 Apr 2008, 08:18 pm »
Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll give the free download a try and see what happens.

mike1964

« Reply #8 on: 30 Apr 2008, 08:29 pm »
I haven't had success importing my Quicken data QIF, although I'm willing to keep trying. Thus far, the balances have been incorrect with missing transactions.
  Register for the forums at Moneydance.com and ask for help there, most problems are solvable.  There also some tips for "preparing" data for transfer.  I'm far from an expert, so can't help much, but I the free download is limited in the number of transactions so balances will likely not be correct.

frankg

« Reply #9 on: 30 Apr 2008, 08:41 pm »
I run Windows Quicken on a Mac using Parallels. Works great.

TomS

« Reply #10 on: 30 Apr 2008, 10:57 pm »
I run Windows Quicken on a Mac using Parallels. Works great.
I have VMWare Fusion so thought I would at least try that before switching.  Just haven't got around to it yet...

flatmap

« Reply #11 on: 5 May 2008, 11:15 pm »
You might want to take a look at the First Edge product from MYOB.  They've been doing Mac for a long time and have a very good feel for the interface. 

Here's the comparison:  http://www.myob-us.com/firstedge/comp/