USB DACs & Powered Monitors

Images

USB DACs & Powered Monitors
« on: 28 Apr 2008, 07:24 am »
This is my first visit to this circle.  After reading the introductory thread, I can't tell whether this posting belongs here or not.  So, here goes... and if it needs to be moved, I can live with that.

It's about my desk at work.  It's tuneless (well, except for a couple of plastic speakers about the size of a small can of cleanser and Windows Media Player.)  I am way over this. 

I am an old fa*t and I have just started ripping / downloading music.  The files are typically wav or flac.  I burnt a couple CDs at home of downloads purchased from the Philedelphia Orchestra.  I was surprised at the ease of this (though I did have to purchase some software to convert files) and I was very pleasantly surprised at the quality of the audio.  So, I am becoming a convert.  I see a server in my future... and my wife will be happy to see the shelves with about 1200 CDs in the living room go away.

But, back to my desk at my workplace.  I need to equip it with a USB DAC.  OK, I have some notions about that, at various price points.  Of course, what I want is the best DAC for the least money.  (BTW, I have  been very happy with my Channel Island D100 amps in my home system.  Dusty's DAC is certainly something I would like to experience, and the price is good.  But, it does not have USB input)  So, I am  open to suggestions. 

However, what I really want are suggestions for the powered monitors to which I will send the signal from this DAC.  They probably will need some overall level or gain control.  If they would accomdate RCAs, then I can use what I already have, rather than obsessing about what XRL I should buy.  Here are the ones that seem to me to be affordable contenders:

Adam Audio A7  (I've read very positive comments by some ACers about these units.)
Blue Sky EXO 2.1
Yamaha HS50M
M-Audio A5
Behringer Truth B2030A (This is totally a guess.)

So, your input is welcome and invited.  Remember, this is for my desk at work.  I am not too concerned about the footprint, but at my workplace my system should be somewhat "frugal."  (If I indulge myself too much, maybe people will wonder how I ever get any work done.)  That being said, I still think what I really want are those Adam monitors.  That folded Heil tweeter really appeals to me.... and it looks like they are available at musiciansfriend for $520 + shipping.

low.pfile

Re: USB DACs & Powered Monitors
« Reply #1 on: 28 Apr 2008, 07:44 am »
Hi Images

Check that Adam price again. I believe they run $500 EACH.

I use Blue Sky's Media Desk 2.1 system and am very content. I sit 24 inches from the monitors. Speaker Build is very nice(painted MDF). it is being fed by a Wavelength Brick DAC. These little guys disappear and stage very well and are very detailed  To me a great setup for $500.  Less expensive USB DAC recommendations over here on my old thread: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=45111.0

good luck, ed.

Images

« Reply #2 on: 28 Apr 2008, 07:56 am »
Yup,

My bad, low.pfile  First time I looked at them at Fullcircle I saw the EACH.  The second time at the other vendor's site  I somehow convinced myself that the total price was $500 plus.  Wishful thinking, I guess.  Good catch!  I will definitely check out your thread.  I know I can't spring for the Wavelength, though.   Wish I could. 

low.pfile

« Reply #3 on: 28 Apr 2008, 08:06 am »
Just noticed..... M-audio A5 ???? ..... the Adam Audio has an A5 and Audio Engine has an A5, both powered speakers. Easy to mix up since they all have "audio" in their name.

I originally was going to go with M-Audio DX4, but didn't care for the enclosure design or sound.  Check out their BX5a's and BX8a's though, they're around $300 and $500 respectively. Note that with the 2 monitor powered systems you have to run a power cord to each speaker. While with a 2 monitor and Sub, you just run speaker cables to the monitors and monitors tend to be smaller. But then there is that sub/amp to deal with (not a problem for me). I rather have more desk space than floor space.

NewBuyer

« Reply #4 on: 28 Apr 2008, 08:44 am »
What is your budget.

Images

« Reply #5 on: 28 Apr 2008, 11:38 am »
The listed monitors, accept for the Adams, run between $300 & $400 a pair.  Ideally I'd opt for a USB DAC at a similar price point.  In other words, $800 to $1000 overall.  Of course, it is easy to spend more than this, but this is for my desk at work.  I don't need, or want, much in the way of SPL, and keeping a low audio profile would arguably be politically correct. 

navi

« Reply #6 on: 28 Apr 2008, 12:55 pm »
The listed monitors, accept for the Adams, run between $300 & $400 a pair.  Ideally I'd opt for a USB DAC at a similar price point.  In other words, $800 to $1000 overall.  Of course, it is easy to spend more than this, but this is for my desk at work.  I don't need, or want, much in the way of SPL, and keeping a low audio profile would arguably be politically correct. 

I use the AVI ADM9 at work- which has preamp and DAC built into it. It also has USB + Analogue input - So I just plug my MacBook into it and not worry about cables and extra boxes- it sounds great in small places- I just don't recommend it if you are trying to fill out a large space.

If you are looking for a more traditional active monitor- try out the KRK's - they sound pretty harsh new and unmodd'ed- put  in some silver fuses and ERS on the capacitors and it sounds pretty good.

Images

« Reply #7 on: 28 Apr 2008, 11:20 pm »
Just noticed..... M-audio A5 ???? ..... the Adam Audio has an A5 and Audio Engine has an A5, both powered speakers. Easy to mix up since they all have "audio" in their name.

I originally was going to go with M-Audio DX4, but didn't care for the enclosure design or sound.  Check out their BX5a's and BX8a's though, they're around $300 and $500 respectively.

Another good catch, low.pfile.  I did mean the M-Audio BX5A.  And yes, they will require two power cords.  They also will require levels to be individually set on each, plus XLR or TRS ICs.  I do like the silk dome tweeters, though.  The Blue Sky 2.1 is looking better and better.

batmanslc2

« Reply #8 on: 2 May 2008, 07:07 pm »
i just hooked up some quad 12L active and I highly recommend at street price of $650 to $750,
I loved the 12l and this is powered for same price!!!!!!
I preffered over mackie hr824    Quads are also very well finshed and attractive as opposed to industrial