Help for a dummy

Tubes 4 Ever

Help for a dummy
« on: 27 Apr 2008, 08:13 pm »
OK I have gotten my G4 setup to run as a music server on my audio system. Now the next issue. I am using iTunes for my audio stuff or at least I was until now. It seems you can't import without web access to get track names and so on, or at least that is what it seems to me. If I have missed checking some magic pixie dust block can someone tell me where? Or can someone recommend an iTunes type application for managing my music. I looked at the list started in this forum and they all seem to be converters not really managing apps. So if anyone can lead me down the path to server heaven let me know.
Thanks

Crimson

Re: Help for a dummy
« Reply #1 on: 27 Apr 2008, 10:17 pm »
Hi,

iTunes can import a CD without web access, at least version 7 that I'm running does. Which version are you running?

Tubes 4 Ever

« Reply #2 on: 27 Apr 2008, 10:32 pm »
7.6.2 I tried several disc and the same result, track number but no name or any info,artist, genre etc.

Crimson

« Reply #3 on: 27 Apr 2008, 10:48 pm »
Aha! Yes, album/artist/track info can only be accessed via the web. All ripping software, not just iTunes, requires this as the information is retrieved from numerous online databases (freedb.org. gracenote.com, etc). It is not stored on the disc.

Tubes 4 Ever

« Reply #4 on: 27 Apr 2008, 11:09 pm »
bummer

Tubes 4 Ever

« Reply #5 on: 28 Apr 2008, 12:56 am »
 :oops: It would help if I did more reading. My new iMac has a wireless card with it, so I transfered the wired stuff to the man cave and I am off and running.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #6 on: 28 Apr 2008, 01:03 am »
You can import the freedb database onto your local machine and then just reference that.  Obviously, that would require intermittent web access but you could in theory, do it on another box to an external HD and then copy it to your music server. 

Bryan