Need rack ideas for newly arriving Odyssey equipment

pugs

I have some Odyssey gear coming in a couple of weeks (I hope) and I need some component rack ideas.  My situation is a bit unique.  I have a 55" bigscreen that I pushed into a converted closet so the screen is flush with the walls.  There is extra space above it which measures approximately 52" x 15".  In this space I have to fit Odyssey Mono, Stereo Stratos, Tempest, Denon receiver, cable box, Monster power conditioner, CDP, and DVD player.

It's a lot to put in there, and I need something that is eiter perfectly sized or adjustable.  I was thinking about trying to make a triple TNT shelf.  The rods in the middle might take up too much room though.

I don't have much choice than to put all that stuff on top of the TV.  I might have room to build a rack to the side of the speakers somewhere, but there's not much room there either.  I would also have to buy longer speaker cables.  I have pictures, but don't know how to get them on this post (help?).

Any ideas out there?

Thanks

JoshK

« Reply #1 on: 16 Oct 2003, 04:49 pm »
pugs,

upload the pics to a gallery first, then you can post them to this thread.  

Is your area 52" high or wide (I am assuming wide since your TV is that wide)?  How will the rack be supported?  By the TV (probably not a great idea) or by something else?

pugs

« Reply #2 on: 16 Oct 2003, 10:49 pm »
I uploaded to a gallery, but still don't know how to get them on this page.  Yes, the equipment is supported by the TV.  Why isn't that good?  Is it the vibration or interferrence?  Actually, I thought of another idea.  I might build a rack (TNT flexi) for just the audio stuff, and keep the video stuff on my TV.  This means I'll need longer interconnects though  :( .

I'm assuming all amps should not be plugged into the power conditioner (Monster HTS 3600), but what about the Tempest?  Also, the manual for my Cary 303/200 CDP says to plug it straight into the wall, but I wonder why.

If I build a separate rack for the corner of the room (sure wish I could get those pictures on here), I'll need more outlets.  I was thinking about buying the "Hot Box" from Chris Venhaus Audio.  It doesn't have surge protection.  Should I be worried about that?  Also, it comes with an option to come with aura caps.  Is that a good idea?

I know I'm asking a lot of stuff here, but I want to get it right this time so I can just sit back and enjoy the system.  

Thanks in advance for the comments/advice.[/img]

F-100

« Reply #3 on: 16 Oct 2003, 10:59 pm »

warnerwh

« Reply #4 on: 16 Oct 2003, 11:08 pm »
Making copies of the Salamander to your own specs is pretty easy and fairly inexpensive. Also they're very strong. All you need is threaded rod, finish grade plywood or if you're rich a solid pieces of wood, some nuts and washers. Stain and finish to your liking. Any size you want and the shelves are also adjustable. I saw a post on AA that another guy did. Myself I was looking at racks and saw the Salamander and that's when a light went off. I built one with 4 2'x4' shelves with six threaded rods for less than 125. If you add the 100 dollar drill I had to buy as I didn't have a half inch drive then the price goes up.  The threaded rod is expensive and 5/8' will work fine. Just had someone email me regarding this and I've got several hundred pounds on my rack.

pugs

« Reply #5 on: 16 Oct 2003, 11:49 pm »
The corner by the stairs is where I was thinking of putting a rack for all the audio componants.  From speaker to stairs is about 40" and I'm not sure if that might mess up sonics or not.  Thinking about it more, I think I will do that.  That way if I want in the future, I can upgrade my stereo extreme into mono extremes.

JoshK

« Reply #6 on: 17 Oct 2003, 01:32 pm »
What if you were to build small amp stands for the two Odysseys and place them on either side of the center? Then the rest of the equipment can go above the TV.

speedcenter

• http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/audio
« Reply #7 on: 17 Oct 2003, 02:09 pm »
first of all you want to get your speakers a few feet off the back wall, otherwise there's really no reason to worry about messed up sonics. Take a look at the speaker positioning guidelines at

http://www.cardas.com/cgi-bin/main_content.cgi?area=Insights&content_id=26&pagestring=Room+Setup

this is just one of many methods, but wherever you look you will see that to get good results, you have to move the speakers away from the back wall.

Do it just for kicks once, even if you feel your room won't allow it. You may suddenly hear things you never thought possible and then you'll be rethinking the whole layout, which may affect your rack location, etc.

Peter

pugs

« Reply #8 on: 17 Oct 2003, 03:10 pm »
Quote from: JoshK
What if you were to build small amp stands for the two Odysseys and place them on either side of the center? Then the rest of the equipment can go above the TV.

The problem with that is that I'll need long ICs to get to the preamp (at least 3m).  It's a possibility though.

I agree with the speaker placement.  The problem is that there's a fireplace behind the couch and I can't move it back much further.

pugs

« Reply #9 on: 17 Oct 2003, 03:30 pm »
I just did the placement calculations and there's no way I can do it.  One problem is that the room is wider than long.  So my speakers should be 74" from the rear wall.  My listening position is about 100".  Also, to place the speakers the correct distance from the side wall, they would be in front of my TV.

I appreciate your suggestion.  If there's is an alternative, like something more flexible, I would like to know.  It just might be something I have to live with by having HT and 2ch together.