Convert stored WAV to FLAC

mcgsxr

Convert stored WAV to FLAC
« on: 24 Apr 2008, 11:01 pm »
I have used EAC to convert cd's as they spin, into FLAC.

I now have some stored WAV files that I want to convert, is there information on how to do this?

Do I need to download a different utility for this?

Thanks,

mcgsxr

Re: Convert stored WAV to FLAC
« Reply #1 on: 25 Apr 2008, 10:34 am »
For the record, it appears that the FLAC front end can do this, I was just used to using EAC and FLAC together.

miklorsmith

« Reply #2 on: 25 Apr 2008, 02:33 pm »
I use the Flac front-end.  I burn all my discs to .wav with .cue files, keep them as backups, then convert to flac on the streaming computer.  The FE has batch processing and works great in this role.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #3 on: 25 Apr 2008, 03:08 pm »
I do identical to Miklorsmith.  Additionally, I use a simple little program called Daemon Mgr to create a virtual drive (call it drive "g") and use the wav-produced cue file to load for things like iTunes import (iTunes thinks it's a cd), etc.  Once the need for wav is done I use Flac front end, in batch mode, to convert to FLAC, then make a copy of the cue file with the flac extension name in it.  That way I have one album-sized FLAC file with cue sheet, and a copy of the wav-based cue sheet (just in case I want to decode back to wav and burn a cdr).  I delete the wav file.  And finally, I back up the FLAC and cue sheets via Karen's Replicator on a weekly pre-scheduled basis.

However, all this being said, with storage getting so cheap I'm getting lazy and having Squeeze Center see more native wav files as i rip lately.  I can always batch convert with the FLAC front end should I panic and run out of room.  :oops: