28B SST - Finally an amplifier to do justice to the 801D

Purpleloft

Hi All,

I just bought 2 28B SST's to drive my B&W 801D's. I was using a Simaudio Moon evolution W-8, but i soon found out this amp- eventhough sonically beautiful- did not have near enough power to put the huge woofers of the 801D to work. I added a 4B SST to power my center speaker (HTM2D)...no need to tell you guys this combination put a wide smile on my face. I only recently started upgrading my system. Before the 801D i used PSB's image series for my home theater. I still use my Denon AVC-A1SE for my surround, but i could use some advice in this regard...What should be the next step...add a Pre-amp just for stereo, or look for a high end surround processor...any thoughts ?

Thanks in advance,

Koen

« Last Edit: 24 Apr 2008, 01:05 pm by Purpleloft »

niels

Re: 28B SST - Finally an amplifier to do justice to the 801D
« Reply #1 on: 24 Apr 2008, 02:38 pm »
I would suggest a stereo preamp with a home theater bypass input. This way you can use the 28B continously for your front speakers, also when you watch movies. The sources then connect to the preamp, except for dvd and cable which goes to the Denon.

splittailz

« Reply #2 on: 25 Apr 2008, 12:51 am »
I too have purchased 28BSST's for my HT. only I have 3 for the front. I am going to try a Conrad Johnson Met 1 linestage and see what happens. Last pieces of the puzzle came in this week, so the next couple of weeks assembling this mess should be interesting. Full Magnepan speakers, JL audio F113's, outlaw ICBM for control, and an Audyssey pro room correction. Everything powered thru Torus power conditioners.
Wish me luck, if I dont burn down the house it should sound pretty good.

1oldguy

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jun 2009, 06:07 pm »
Hi James
Since I will be using my system for 2 Channel for music as well as 5.1 for moves I wonder if the SP3 caters to my needs?
Or are there other ways of skinning a cat as it were.Remembering this is new ground for me I wounder if buying a two channel amp and adding something strictly for 5.1 for movies would be an option?
It just seems that with all the Dolby changing all the time does concern me,though I realize no matter what I buy for the movie side of the tracks will always be a losing battle of sorts.So I guess My reasoning is buy a great 2 channel for audio and and something more modest for movies.
I guess I am trying to figure out the best plan of attack and what my options are.Any and all comments welcome

1oldguy

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jun 2009, 08:10 pm »
Hi James
At the end of the day...I will probably still go with the sp3.My gut instinct tells me I am on the right path.As far as I understand it the SP3 will be first and for most an audio product.I wonder if 2 channel audio will be on par or is the goal to be better in 2 channel audio than anything from Bryston thus far regarding Audio in the SP3?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #5 on: 20 Jun 2009, 08:26 pm »
Hi James
At the end of the day...I will probably still go with the sp3.My gut instinct tells me I am on the right path.As far as I understand it the SP3 will be first and for most an audio product.I wonder if 2 channel audio will be on par or is the goal to be better in 2 channel audio than anything from Bryston thus far regarding Audio in the SP3?

Hi

The SP3 will have a 2-channel all analog bypass so our hope is that it will equal the BP26 in performance for straight stereo.  Currently I have 2 systems in the same room, the SP2 for surround and the BP26/MPS2 when I listen to stereo.

james