Expandable external drives, for multi-room Mac and Windows

rick57

Hi

Hope they’re aren’t too many newbie questions here. I’ve been reading around a bit and this is where I’m up to -

I intend playing the same lossless files via one Mac and 3 Windows pcs in 4 adjacent rooms, connected via a shared router to a 'master' external drive.
Then a same sized 2nd storage device as a backup.

(The lossless format will almost certainly be ripped by Max, and as I will use iTunes, probably into Apple lossless. Any better suggestions, please go ahead . .)

Initially I thought - have the two hard drives in one box, but I don't need RAID. Then I thought go for 'server' cases with 2 bays, for expansion capability. 

But a router with spare ports may be better . .

Backup from the “audio server” to the backup device can be by 1394 FireWire / USB.

I also thought the *backup device should have a spare bays: though that would limit choices & add cost. However each added “audio server” can have its own backup device, added as a pair is needed, buying later when prices will be lower.

* Can iTunes or another audio player, seamlessly read from multiple external networked drives?

(And would the drives be better formatted by Mac or Windows?)

I started looking at online pc mags, some contenders
 - the HP Media Vault (but the larger drive option is 500 G, I think minimum 750 may be more sensible with current Gb pricing),
 - the WD MyBook 2 (slow, but backups can be done without me there) are its *seek times likely to be ok?
 - the Seagate FreeAgent Pro (not networkable).

SAN/ NAS/ “media server”? or are the terms blurred - just go for appropriate attributes, price and reliability?

In which case, I thought the WD MyBook 2 (up to 1 Tb, networkable) may have had the edge. But it seems to have a lot of problems: http://www.cnet.com.au/desktops/storage/0,239029473,339275060,00.htm

CPU and HD fan noise wont be an issue, as it can be placed in a cupboard. But unless the problems mentioned in the link have been addressed, MyBook still seems buggy

Bottom line – is my plan ok, and what do you recommend?

Thank you

Richard

rick57

Re: Expandable external drives, for multi-room Mac and Windows
« Reply #1 on: 24 Apr 2008, 02:14 pm »
Hi

I wasn't sure where to post my question, so I also posted at the Circle's "Apple Core".
If anyone's interested, Crimson over there has some useful answers

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=53884.msg480816#msg480816

Cheers