Modded SB3 vs Transporter

ecruz

Modded SB3 vs Transporter
« on: 21 Apr 2008, 08:28 pm »
I have an SB3 with the Bolder digital mods and power supply. I send the digital signal to a TacT 2.0 pre/DAC.

I know the Transporter is a lot better than a stock SB3 if you're using their respective internal DAC's. My question, is the Transporter a step up from my modded SB3 if I'm using an exteranl DAC?

Wayne1

Re: Modded SB3 vs Transporter
« Reply #1 on: 21 Apr 2008, 08:36 pm »
YOU will only know for sure if you compare them in YOUR system.

FWIW, I have compared stock and modded Transporters to modded SB3s with Ultimate PS both with and without the Nirvana regulators and have always preferred the sound of the modded SB3.

Most of the Transporters "upgrades" are concerned with the analog section. There was not a lot of changes from the SB3 to the Trnansporter in the digital output section.

I believe mgalusha compared his modded SB3 with Nirvana regulator to TweekGeek's modded Transporter (both digital out) into a modded DCX2496 feeding Emerald Physics speakers. They both preferred the modded SB3.

AliG

Re: Modded SB3 vs Transporter
« Reply #2 on: 21 Apr 2008, 08:46 pm »
The stock transporter's digital out is worst than my Bolder Modified SB3 digital out.

A modified transporter is just as good depending on who does the mod, but why spent so much money on the transporter (with mod) if you're only going to use the digital out? :duh: