Can't rip/burn WMP11 files to CD-R since FLAC came along

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
I've had great success in the past ripping and burning to and from my music library for playback in the cars, until recently.
When it was working, I was using WMP11 (Windows Media Player version 11) lossless. All files were in mp3 (several meg per song), all located in "My Documents" in the PC's harddrive, and would always rip/burn at the slowest settings.
Worked fantastic.

Then, I introduce EAC, FLAC, and Slimserver to the mix. Also, the music is now stored on a remote USB harddrive, no longer "in" the PC. No real problems on this end but I can no longer make CD-R's that will play in the car. Both of my cars radios display an error message when I insert a burn CD-R. I can insert the disc back in my PC and the music plays just fine, and track tags are intact (obviously unnecessary for use in the car).
I check the settings on WMP11 and nothing seems to have chaged for rip and burn settings.
When I go to Windows Explorer and check the vitals of the burnt CD-R, the first odd thing I find is that they are now "Musicmatch" files. I've never used MusicMatch, always WMP. So 'somebody' changed a default there. The next odd thing I notice is that the file size is a couple dozen bytes, not several meg like it should be. Being a couple dozen bytes, this sounds to me like the CD-R contains tagging information and directory locations for the track, not the actual track. So when I'm replaying the disc on my PC it's actually playing from the harddrive, not the disc. Right?
Also, in "proporties" of the disc, it is labeled "Audio CD" as opposed to "Data CD".
Now, when I want to burn a copy of a CD, I have to rip it to WMP, then burn it to the CD-R. Should I not worry about what's going on here, and learn how to "translate" FLAC into something that will play in the car and never use WMP again?

Any ideas, or thoughts?

Bob

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
Re: Can't rip/burn WMP11 files to CD-R since FLAC came along
« Reply #1 on: 25 Apr 2008, 04:49 pm »
Anybody?  :cry:

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #2 on: 25 Apr 2008, 04:54 pm »
Are you trying to rip to the CD-R from the files on the external disk or are you just trying to burn a copy of a CD?  Your car system won't play back FLAC files.  No idea on why you're getting really small files though or why you have MusicMatch (which is a PITA).

Bryan

hoxuanduc

« Reply #3 on: 25 Apr 2008, 05:19 pm »
You may want to try mediamonkey.  It allows you to burn audio CD directly from FLAC.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 25 Apr 2008, 05:57 pm »
Bryan - When I want to burn a copy, I'll rip it to the PC's main (internal) harddrive via WMP11, then immediately burn it to CD-R. All through WMP as lossless files. The external RAID/FLAC drive never enters the picture.
I knew a car wouldn't play FLAC, and YES MusicMatch DOES suck.  :lol:

hoxuanduc - That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. This would eliminate several very time consuming (and unnecessary) steps, including having to delete the album from my harddrive when I've finished the rip/burn process.
Right from FLAC to 'audioCD'. That's perfect.  :thumb:
I've only heard the name MediaMonkey a few times. Wasn't sure what it was, Thanks for that!

Bob

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 27 Apr 2008, 07:39 pm »
You may want to try mediamonkey.  It allows you to burn audio CD directly from FLAC.
Works great, fantastic.
I've not found any quality settings for ripping though.  :scratch:
Oh well, doesn't matter....99% of the burns will be for use in the wifes car and quality doesn't mean shi.....   :o

Thanks hoxuanduc and Bryan.  :thumb:
Bob