Opinions on Ionoclast or other static reducers?

2gumby2

Opinions on Ionoclast or other static reducers?
« on: 20 Apr 2008, 12:36 pm »
Before I go out and spend money on an Ionoclast from Mapleshade or a Zerostat I was wondering if it would be worthwhile. I notice A LOT of static everytime I remove my LP from the turntable. It seems to develop static during play. Before each play, I always clean the surface of the LP with my Audio-Technica brush with Audio-Technica cleaning fluid. I don't know if this would make any difference or not, but it seems to keep the record surface pretty clean.

sbrtoy

Re: Opinions on Ionoclast or other static reducers?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Apr 2008, 02:27 pm »
Your brush will create static when you clean records, this will manifest itself as pops, clicks, and other unpleasant noises.  These little devices are a godsend if you live in dry areas like I do and should be considered essential to good vinyl playback. There are several threads around about cleaning records more thoroughly than a brush will without buying a cleaning machine.  I would recommend searching around and learning some other techniques as well to keep your vinyl happy.

twitch54

« Reply #2 on: 21 Apr 2008, 01:26 pm »
"Gruv-Glide" in the winter months, it works superbly !

lcrim

« Reply #3 on: 21 Apr 2008, 05:32 pm »
I've never found that any of the static removers (I have a Ray-o-Stat) does anything, good or bad. 
Scrupulously clean records set in brand  new poly lined sleeves have dust on them the first time removed from the sleeves.  I can brush the  LP's on my Technics because the motor is strong enough.  A few times around and then pull the dust off with a twisting and sweeping action.  I always wonder where that dust comes from.  Life in NJ.

Wayner

« Reply #4 on: 21 Apr 2008, 05:59 pm »
I clean my record with a D4 brush from Discwasher, lightly misted with an alcohol/water solution and wipe the record surface clean just before playing. This knocks almost all of the static away. I never clean with a dry brush.

Wayner

2gumby2

« Reply #5 on: 22 Apr 2008, 10:38 am »
After reading some reviews on Gruv-Glide I've decided to give it a try. Looks like pretty good stuff.