Looking at reasonable (low-powered) integrateds to match with Aperiodic 8s...

dburna

Hello,

I have a pair of Aperiodic 8s (Visaton B200 drivers) on Sklyan stands in a 2-channel basement A/V system.  Right now, I am powering them with an Almarro A205 Mk I and the combo sounds terrific.  The room is long and thin with low (just under 7 foot) ceilings.

So if I am happy with the sound, what is the problem, you ask?  Two things are missing -- removing exposed glowing bottles from the equation (we will be adopting soon) and convenience (there is no remote, only one set of inputs, etc.).  I have my main rig in the living room, and I feel like I am being selfish in putting a "quirky" tube amp in our (secondary) family-oriented system, no matter how good it sounds.  Frankly, I think my wife is afraid to use the Almarro.   :roll:

So my question is: what are some good options for a sub-$1k integrated that would have added convenience (remote, multiple inputs) but without some too much sonic sacrifice vs. the Almarro?  Both SS (as long as its a warm presentation) and tubes (as long as it doesn't require many, many tubes) are considerations.  Possible options:

1. I have considered looking for a Blue Circle CS used.  Drawbacks: no remote, too much power(??).  I'm wondering if 50W combined with the A8s would leave me very little use of the volume control in such a small room.
2. Peachtree Audio Decco.  This has it all from the convenience standpoint.  The digital inputs are a plus.  Drawback: again, I'm worried that 50W would be too much power combined with the A8s. 

I'm totally open to tubes, but I need them to be: 1) encased to prevent little chubby finger burns, and 2) accessible via remote.  Input from any A8 users is especially appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any/all suggestions. 

-dB (a unit measure of noise) 
« Last Edit: 20 Apr 2008, 01:20 am by dburna »

chadh

How sensitive are the B200's?

I use some 93 db sensitivity Omega XRS speakers with 40w/channel chip amps, and still get plenty of range on my active pre-amp volume control.  Granted, my source is low powered (1 v).  But the amps are SUPER sensitive (I think they reach full output with something like 0.63 volts input or something crazy like that).  Anyway, if the B200s are anything around 93db, I wouldn't be too scared of 50w/channel.

Chad

dburna

Thanks, that makes me feel better about chip amps as a possibility.  I think the A8s are 94dB or thereabouts.  When I use the Almarro (4.5W), the most I can "crank it" (that's a misnomer in a room that is as small as we're using) is to go to about 12 noon, maybe 1 o'clock at most.  I'm guessing I am not pulling too much more than about 2-3 W out of this amp.  That's why I was concerned that a larger-powered amp wouldn't give me too much "room to maneuver".  I suppose it has more to do with how the volume control is tapered than simply the raw power that the amp provides.

-dB

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
How about a tube cage for the Almarro?  Some states require it due to burn/fire concerns.

Here's an affordable 5 wpc tube amp with cage:  http://www.audio-magus.com/product_p/gla1.htm

Or how about a little digital amp like this:  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=49235.0

dburna

Sunday noontime bump.....

Canyoneagle

A couple of possible mates (it is worth running these by Louis) that come to mind are "musical" Brit Hi-fi amps such as the Rega Brio, Naim NAIT-series (NAIT 3 and NAIT 5i), Linn and Arcam.  All of these should be available on the used market under a grand.

Again, check in with Louis to see if he has any experience with these or other suggestions.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatran&1213891850
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1212709244

.............. or a used Clari-T and a used 3S (passive selector), IF you can find one)
« Last Edit: 20 Apr 2008, 07:09 pm by Canyoneagle »

doug s.

• makin' music
before i opened this thread, i was gonna tell you to get an almarro.   :lol:  since you awreddy have it, get a cage for it, & spend the money on a nice tube preamp.  my almarro a205a mkll, w/two upgraded caps, & nos tubes, is fantastic.  i have never used it as an integrated amp, i always use it as an amp, w/a remote control tube preamp...  at your budget, i would look for something like a used modwright or a used melos.

doug s.

Louis O

Hi dburna

Thanks and I would look into the Blue note S1. I like it and $1350 with remote and SS. 40 watt too and looks very nice. It's also a dual mono design. Nice AB amp.

Thanks,
Louis

dburna

Hi dburna

Thanks and I would look into the Blue note S1. I like it and $1350 with remote and SS. 40 watt too and looks very nice. It's also a dual mono design. Nice AB amp.

Thanks,
Louis

Thanks, Louis.  This looks like a good option, but I just landed a YBA Integre DT that I think has lovely synergy with my Omega A8s.  These YBA amps are great stuff -- I can see some folks preferring tubes, but I can't see how you could like SS and not at least admire the YBA craftsmanship, voicing, and musicality.  I'm glad I found this as an option.  I may want to change later, but I'm quite content for now.

-dB

Louis O

Hi dburna,

Great to hear and they are very good.

SS can sound amazing too.

Thanks,
Louis

pardales

Where can one acquire a tube cage for an Almarro 205II amp?

doug s.

• makin' music
Where can one acquire a tube cage for an Almarro 205II amp?

there's none, afaik.  custom is the only way.

doug s.

pardales

Thanks. Anyone know who can do something like that?

pardales

Sorry, I just realized this was on the Omega thread -- Didn't mean to take up the space. I will inquire on another thread.

Louis O

Hi Pardales,

No worries and I would contact Kevin at Dynakits. His cages may fit or he can make one for you.
www.dynakitparts.com

Thanks,
Louis