Wireless Phone As Modem

ZLS

Wireless Phone As Modem
« on: 18 Apr 2008, 11:28 am »
Gentlemen,

I am currently residing away from my home base and will continue to do so for an indefinite period of time.  I have my Macbook with me, and just recently upgraded by wireless service for my Motorola phone to give myself the ability (?) to use my phone as a modem to allow my Macbook access to the internet.  The problem is while the Mac See's the phone (connected by USB cable)  it is not allowing me to open the network; in fact the category of using phone as a modem is not allowing me to check it off.  Is this a Mac problem, a phone service problem, do I need to download some specific software to allow the network to open? 
    The problem is not only do I not know whether to talk to At&t or Apple, but I don't even know what questions to ask! 

BTW in case your wondering how I can post this, I do have access to a computer that allows me on to Audio Circle, but will not allow me access to my e-mail. 

Thank You

Crimson

Re: Wireless Phone As Modem
« Reply #1 on: 18 Apr 2008, 12:45 pm »
Z,

A few things:

1. I'm assuming upgrading your phone means the new one has a modem in it. Without a modem, you cannot access the internet and the Macbook does not have a modem in it.

2. Now you need to figure out how to enable the modem feature of the phone (if it needs to be enabled). This is a question for AT&T.

3. What you need next is an ISP to provide you with dial-up internet service. I'm not sure if AT&T offers this, but it's definitely something you want to ask them. Alternately, if your ISP at 'home' has dial-up access you may want to find out what those numbers are.

4. Once you've confirmed 1 and 2 above, and inquire about number 3, we can work on getting Macbook connectivity. Curious, though: where are you seeing "in fact the category of using phone as a modem is not allowing me to check it off"? On the Mac or the phone? It is possible that specific software is required from Motorola. If that's the case, it would obviously need to be Mac-compatible.

All in all, I'd say all of your queries need to be directed to your carrier, AT&T.

Let me know how it goes.

Docster

Re: Wireless Phone As Modem
« Reply #2 on: 24 Apr 2008, 01:08 am »
Hi

you can use your phones network capability without "dialling up". It can be a bit tricky and you need a modem script installed - have a look at http://www.taniwha.org.uk/ for advice. Presumably also network dependent

I have done this with 10.4 and an Ericsson M600 over 3G network in Australia.

Good Luck.

Owen