Cornet 2 / AT440MLa cartridge loading

vconsumer

Cornet 2 / AT440MLa cartridge loading
« on: 17 Apr 2008, 09:51 pm »
I’m using an Audio Technica 440mla cartridge with a Cornet 2. Despite over 50 hours of break in and all the positive aspects of the 440mla, I still find it too bright and forward on many recordings. I’ve read elsewhere that I can get a more balanced sound by loading the cartridge at 33K rather than the Cornet’s 47K.  Anyone try this? To what effect?

Kyle_C

Re: Cornet 2 / AT440MLa cartridge loading
« Reply #1 on: 17 Apr 2008, 10:13 pm »
Yes, I've done it. Used a 440MLa with a Bugle at 32K for quite some time before upgrading to the AT150MLX. Frequency-response was very, very good at that point. Better than +/- 1.25dB, if I recall correctly. Also, it might have been an effect of the smoother response but it seemed the overall sonics were improved. I recommend giving it a shot.

Wayner

« Reply #2 on: 17 Apr 2008, 10:58 pm »
I don't know what table you are running, but might I suggest wrapping about 18" of Teflon tape in a spiral fashion most of the length of your tone arm starting at the head. This will calm it down just enough to make it behave fairly well with out altering it's loading. It will take only a few minutes to do and you might be surprised at the results.

Wayner, the AT440MLa pimp.  aa

vconsumer

« Reply #3 on: 18 Apr 2008, 03:10 am »
Thanks, guys. I think I'll try the noninvasive teflon wrap method on my (rewired) RB-300 first, then the loading resistor if the former doesn't satisfy.

The table is a Rega P3.

Wayner

« Reply #4 on: 18 Apr 2008, 11:43 am »
The Rega P3, which I have also, has no VTA adjustment. That is part of your problem. The back of the arm is a wee bit too high.

Wayner

Wayner

« Reply #5 on: 18 Apr 2008, 10:18 pm »
vconsumer,

I didn't have enough time to give you a better answer, now I do while I'm listening to the FIXX on my Technics SL-1200 (modified).

I have a love/hate relationship with the Rega P3. I think the starting torque of the motor is enough to bother many people. I like to wet brush clean my records before I play and I can't use my regular brush on the P3 as it will stall the motor, which I don't think it does it any good. Second, the motor has an incredible magnetic field around it, which the AT440MLa IMHO, may not be the best choice for. I am working on the hum problem, but this one is even worse than the Techincs direct drive. I will solve it to my level of satisfaction, and will always share the results with others.

Now for the love part. I love the RB-300 arm. It is a technological wonder IMHO, again. That is why I won't part with this finicky deck. I also like the simplicity of the design. One switch to turn it on and that's about it. Set the anti-skate and adjust for VTF and your listening to LPs, how good is that?

Here is the dope on the AT440MLa. It really likes to track at 1.5grams. Not any more, none less. My anti-skate control is set for 1.25 grams with the cartridge set at 1.5 grams. Why is this? I have a blank acrylic disc that I use to set anti-skating. It works like magic. It will dial it in better than anything else.

Wrap about 18" of 1/2" wide Teflon tape in a spiral fashion from the head up to the arm clamp. You will have to subtract about .1 grams of weight....better off just recalibrating VTF back to 1.5 grams. The tape is light but it does have some weight to it.

This weekend is suppose to be rainy here, so I am planning on working on the P3 to kill the hum once and for all.

It can play music, big time.

Wayner  aa

Wayner

« Reply #6 on: 20 Apr 2008, 06:17 pm »
After an entire afternoon on this project, I gave up. I will have to wear egg on my face as I can't recommend the AT440MLa on a Rega P3. The magnetic field is too intense. While the AT excels in it's sonic virtues, I now realize completely that it is vulnerable to stray magnetic fields.

To solve the P3 dilemma, I reached into the old bag of goodies and pulled out the Sumiko Blue Point Special. This cartridge could not find a home in any of my other tables and was simply "a disappointment" to say the least. Another great combo discovered. Yes, the BPS fits right in there. The hum field has zero effect and the RB300 tonearm makes it track wonderfully. I am tracking at 1.5 grams.

I know this doesn't solve your problem, but it sure fixed mine!

Wayner

Rocket

« Reply #7 on: 21 Apr 2008, 09:55 am »
Hi,

What capacitors were used in the cornet 2 when it was built?  Obbligatto caps are very good and I successfully used in them in classic cornet that are much better than the originals caps used.

Regards

Rod

ChairSpud

« Reply #8 on: 22 Apr 2008, 10:34 pm »
After an entire afternoon on this project, I gave up. I will have to wear egg on my face as I can't recommend the AT440MLa on a Rega P3. The magnetic field is too intense. While the AT excels in it's sonic virtues, I now realize completely that it is vulnerable to stray magnetic fields.

Wayner

I use an AT440MLa on a P2 with excellent results. The hum you are experiencing could be the result of a bad batch of AT440MLa cartridges made by Audio Technica. There is a very informative thread on the subject over at audiokarma.

Wayner

« Reply #9 on: 23 Apr 2008, 02:30 am »
I do have 4 of these cartridges. 2 I have had for over a year mounted in an Empire 598 II and a VPI Hw-19jr w/AudioQuest PT6 tone arm with out any problem. This last Christmas, I bought a Technics SL-1200 and had a bitch of a time getting the hum down. I bought 2 more cartridges when I bought the table. Maybe I do have 2 bad ones, I don't know. The P3 was the worst offender as the hum was incurable.

I have sent an e-mail to Audio Technica on this topic and hope to receive some insight to the problem. Thanks for the heads up. I could have been beating my head against the wall for nothing.

Wayner  :o