WORKING PAIR HILL PLASMATRONICS – Sale Pending

baileyler

WORKING PAIR HILL PLASMATRONICS – Sale Pending
« on: 17 Apr 2008, 06:51 pm »
WORKING PAIR HILL PLASMATRONICS – OFFERS

The true high end of exotic speakers – Hill Plasmatronics with plasma tweeters.  If you are looking at this ad, you probably know about these.  If not, try the following links:

http://web.archive.org/web/20030320083046/members.cox.net/jayphil/plasma.html

http://groups.google.com/group/hill-plasmatronics?hl=en  (I have posted a photo of my pair on this site)

http://www.plasmatweeter.de/

I have had this pair for about a year now.  They are functional, and in remarkable shape for their age and what they are.  They are working, and I can make them play beautiful music.  I cannot, however, tell you if they are optimized or even working 100% - I just don’t know enough about how they work or are supposed to work.

The interface unit is in good shape, and just back from my tech who did a basic check to make sure that the electrolytics were OK.  I have the original User’s Manual and a copy of the Service Manual.

Legend (or fact) is that there were 60 pairs of these originally constructed in the late 1970’s/early 1980’s.  I know of the location of about 4-5 pairs, but most of these are not running.  In any event, there simply cannot be that many left, much less that are in working shape, and much less in the shape that my pair is in.

I have lots of extra 6LQ6 tubes (these are not cheap) and a few 6CG7 (for the interface) that go with the speakers.  I also have a Hickok 580A and some other equipment (crossover, amps, equalizer) that I will no longer need if I sell these speakers, so they could be included in a bundle package.

To the point - I need to move in the next couple of months.  I could take these with me, but I am not sure if it is the best thing for me or the speakers.  As a result, I am testing the waters to see what kind of interest there is out there.

Local pickup is in Chadds Ford (PA), which is between Philly and Wilmington (DE).  I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR SHIPPING THESE.  I will assist, but if you want these shipped you need to make arrangements.  Just understand that shipping these will require constructing crates for the plasma units as well as the cabinets, and neither piece is light.  If you are outside the USA, don’t even bother unless you want to show up at my house with a wad of cash (or trade value).

These speakers are sold ‘AS IS, WHERE IS’.  No reps, no warranties, no liabilities.  They work and you are welcome to test them out prior to taking possession, but once I transfer ownership I am no longer in any way, shape or form responsible for their condition or use (and explicitly disclaim all liability).

The helium tanks are NOT included (they are owned by the gas company), and there is not much I can do in the way of helping to get helium.  It is up to you to make whatever arrangements might be necessary with your local industrial gas company.

THIS IS NOT A FIRE SALE, AND I WILL NOT GIVE THESE AWAY.  I am in no rush, and I am still undecided if I even want to sell these.  If you are serious, feel free to make me an offer – cash, trade or some combination.  One item I am interested in is a 6AS7/6080 based OTL amp (but not one of the outrageously priced ones).  Other things might peak my interest, so feel free to make suggestions.

I will be happy to answer whatever I can for serious potential buyers.

You can check out my feedback on Audiogon, Videogon and Ebay (ID=baileyler).
« Last Edit: 18 May 2008, 04:29 pm by baileyler »

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Re: WORKING PAIR HILL PLASMATRONICS – OFFERS
« Reply #1 on: 17 Apr 2008, 07:31 pm »
Is this an industry ad or are you a consumer?  :scratch:

davehg

• http://musicserver.blogspot.com
Funny Plasmatronic Story
« Reply #2 on: 17 Apr 2008, 08:01 pm »
I remember these from my earliest days in audio, but I remember one really funny anecdote:

Seems a Plasmatronic dealer used to recommend these speakers to be sold with the Oasis turntable (not the current Brinkmann), a table that featured a water suspension (evidently the platter or plinth was suspended in a tub of water). If the speaker housing ever caught fire, you could put it out with your turntable.

baileyler

« Reply #3 on: 18 Apr 2008, 02:40 am »

Not sure about your point.  This is a 'for sale' ad.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #4 on: 18 Apr 2008, 02:48 am »

Not sure about your point.  This is a 'for sale' ad.

My point is industry ads belong in Industry Ads,,, if indeed you're running a business. And if indeed you are running a business, it's my undertsanding that you are required to state this in your signture and do your selling in Industry Ads. All your posts here at AudioCircle are strictly to sell something, that's the reason why I ask. If I'm wrong, I apologise but I do feel it's an honest question. Is that clear enough?  :D

Cheers,
Robin

baileyler

« Reply #5 on: 18 Apr 2008, 03:26 am »
Just a plain consumer.  Stuff comes in, stuff goes out.  If you look at my feedback at the various indicated sites, you will see that more stuff comes in than goes out, which I constantly hear about from my wife. 

I tend to be an impulse buyer.  I never really know what I want until I see it.  I do actually have a couple of wanted ads on Audio Asylum at this moment.  I have also had one on Audio Circle for a 6AS7/6080 OTL amp (note the want in my ad above), but I am not sure it is still active.

In no way, shape or form associated with the audio industry or any dealers.  Could not afford to do this as a business. 

My daily life as a lawyer is much less glamorous. 

I started with this posting on Audio Circle because it is free, and because the audience seems like a good place to start.  If I don't get too much action here, I'll eventually pay for something on Audiogon.
« Last Edit: 18 Apr 2008, 03:42 am by baileyler »

baileyler

« Reply #6 on: 25 Apr 2008, 05:40 pm »
Knocked myself off the front page with a wanted posting.

More pictures and info can be provided.

Tubes 4 Ever

« Reply #7 on: 26 Apr 2008, 02:50 pm »
Wish I had the bucks  :oops: heard these many moons ago at a friends house in Rantoul Ill. Sound was pretty good as I recall. Good Luck

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #8 on: 27 Apr 2008, 12:01 am »
curious - what do you consider a fair price for these?  i have no idea what something like this is worth.  didn't they retail for something like $10k?

thanks,

doug s.

baileyler

« Reply #9 on: 28 Apr 2008, 01:27 am »
I have just determined that these do appear to have the modification suggested by Jay Philippbar to compensate for the apparent issue in the 12-16 KHz response area.

curious - what do you consider a fair price for these?  i have no idea what something like this is worth.  didn't they retail for something like $10k?

thanks,

doug s.

From what I understand, the asking price for the last pair of these made was in the neighborhood of $16.5 K.  I would expect a good deal LESS than that.  Feel free to make an offer - I do not offend easily (other than the guy who offered $200).

baileyler

« Reply #10 on: 8 May 2008, 02:19 pm »
If anyone wants to jump in, now is the time to do it.

I have a good offer on the table, and will make my decision in about one week.

baileyler

Re: WORKING PAIR HILL PLASMATRONICS – Sale Pending
« Reply #11 on: 18 May 2008, 04:30 pm »
Sale Pending.

emmaco

Re: WORKING PAIR HILL PLASMATRONICS – Sale Pending
« Reply #12 on: 19 Jul 2008, 08:07 pm »
Hill Plasmatronic fans may be interested in our site...

http://groups.google.com/group/hill-plasmatronics