Replacement for Vifa tweets in G3's

Curt D

Replacement for Vifa tweets in G3's
« on: 17 Apr 2008, 05:50 pm »
One of the Vifa D25AC tweets in my 14 year old G3's seems to be sounding a little spitty, fuzzy at times. It is possible it has been dergaded as my amp is spec'ed for 50% more than recommended, otherwise it's just age. Has anyone had this happen to theirs? I'm wondering if the D25AG would be a direct drop in or if there is a soft dome that could be used without crossover mods. At times the metal dome seems a touch edgy again maybe because they are old or possibly degraded.

Mike Dzurko

Re: Replacement for Vifa tweets in G3's
« Reply #1 on: 18 Apr 2008, 01:17 pm »
Curt:

If you don't hear from anyone else, just PM or email me and I'll recommend replacements . . .

Frank A

« Reply #2 on: 22 Apr 2008, 11:26 am »
 :P
I have them as well and although I believe they are the enhanced model they are still soumding nice and serving their purpose.  If you need the manual, I can supply that, as well as several others.

Concerning the replacement considerations; it would be nice to see them posted here for future consideration.

Thanks, Frank A

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #3 on: 22 Apr 2008, 06:23 pm »
If you decide you want to try a soft dome replacement, the D27TG 35 06 is probably the closest to a direct replacement. It is just a tad more sensitive so you may have to add some additional padding to the circuit to match. It's been years since I worked with these two tweeters so I'm working from memory here. If anyone has actually compared and or measured, that would be great to see.

Curt D

« Reply #4 on: 1 May 2008, 01:32 pm »
Frank A,
Are you saying you have G3's or some of the Vifa tweets? Sorry I'm not clear on what you're offering. I have data sheets for G3's and the newer Vifa tweets. If you have specs on the D25AC older Vifa's that would be helpful. Thanks, Curt :|

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #5 on: 1 May 2008, 02:00 pm »
Did a quick Google:

http://www.speakerbits.com/products/speakers/vifa-tweeter-peerless-tweeter-scan-speak-tweeter-quadral-tweeter-hiquphon-tweeter/list-148.aspx

Have not yet found our older archives, will continue to look as time permits

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #6 on: 2 May 2008, 12:01 pm »
Curt:

Finally found the G3 crossover layout . . .  there is no LCR filter.

Curt D

« Reply #7 on: 9 May 2008, 04:23 pm »
Mike, Thanks for the input. Rookie question: Does the pad go before or after the LRC? Also what power rating do the LRC components need to have? I came up with 66W and 33W for the pad R's. I assume the LRC can be smaller since it's a limited f band?

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #8 on: 9 May 2008, 07:05 pm »
Mike, Thanks for the input. Rookie question: Does the pad go before or after the LRC? Also what power rating do the LRC components need to have? I came up with 66W and 33W for the pad R's. I assume the LRC can be smaller since it's a limited f band?

Curt:

Pad should be at the driver itself. 10 watts is okay for the LRC resistor.   Happy Friday!