here's an article i like, discussing rewiewers:
http://www.high-endaudio.com/reviewers.html
there's also an update on this page:
http://www.high-endaudio.com/RECENT.html#Apr

doug s.

mcullinan

Re: Audio Magazines and Ethics
« Reply #41 on: 18 Apr 2008, 05:54 pm »
Since I am more and more moving off major brands towards smaller manufacturers its difficult if not impossible a lot of times to try before you buy. I try and read through the reviews, but if Ive been duped Ill know it too late.

Ill try to do an average of many reviews too. Some products/most?? are system dependent, and I know some reviewers use several systems for one product which I think is smart.

Some do have a 30 day try it policy which helps. What can you do if your not an insider and know whose on the take.
Mike

mateo

« Reply #42 on: 18 Apr 2008, 05:58 pm »

doug s.

That site opens a whole can of worms...just search on AA for what Charles Hansen (of Ayre) and others have to say.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #43 on: 18 Apr 2008, 06:04 pm »

doug s.

He has some legitimate questions; however, two of the magazines he reccommended are on my unethical list.  :scratch:

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #44 on: 18 Apr 2008, 06:15 pm »
Since I am more and more moving off major brands towards smaller manufacturers its difficult if not impossible a lot of times to try before you buy. I try and read through the reviews, but if Ive been duped Ill know it too late.... ...Some do have a 30 day try it policy which helps. What can you do if your not an insider and know whose on the take.
Mike
what can you do?  read forums like this one!!!   :thumb:  i cannot remember the last time i read a print magazine like tas, s'phile, etc - it's literally been years...

doug s.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #45 on: 18 Apr 2008, 06:17 pm »

doug s.

He has some legitimate questions; however, two of the magazines he reccommended are on my unethical list.  :scratch:
yup - ya gotta be wary when reading stuff from any rewiewer - art salvatore included!   :lol:

doug s.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #46 on: 18 Apr 2008, 06:21 pm »

doug s.

That site opens a whole can of worms...just search on AA for what Charles Hansen (of Ayre) and others have to say.
yup - see my answer to rick craig.  i still like the site, tho...

doug s.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #47 on: 18 Apr 2008, 07:41 pm »
Anyone who reviews something is going to get scrutiny.   I'd suggest that some basic ethical guidelines be written and understood and followed by all the members of a publication be first practice.   There has to be written guidelines about acceptable, and unacceptable behavior.    The guidelines should be reviewed on a regular basis and everyone before becoming a member of a publication should know and accept those standards. 

Often it seems to me that publications take someone on to review with little or no formal training.   I don't think reviewers need a prolonged class but an overview of the ethical standards and practices seems to me CRITICAL before I'd let anyone review anything for my publication (which isn't forthcoming).    I'd also have strict rules about personal correspondence.   Once a guy becomes a reviewer for a publication they become a representative of that organization.    Mr. Fremer does his associates a great deal of harm by responding to an antagonist in  a vulgar and unprofessional manner.   I've seen the guy act like an A-hole as CES and I'd never employ him or anyone like him.   

A step in the right direction would be a public statement of ethical guidelines that everyone in the organization understands and agrees to follow.   That ethical statement should also be involved in the FIRST correspondence with any potential advertiser or company submitting a product for review.    That written ethical standard should also be front & center in any publication, as it helps to verify the credibility of the publication in the eyes of the public. 

What the ethical standards are and the details are left open to each publication.   All of this seems to me common sense yet I've never seen such a system used. 

JoshK

« Reply #48 on: 18 Apr 2008, 07:51 pm »
One thing that audio mags can do, voluntarily, that would bolster the consumer's confidence in their non-partiality is adopt codes of conduct and have full disclosure sections (on their site, in the appendix, whereever...just accessible to their readership. 

In finance, my field of work, there have been huge pushes toward these sorts of things, especially after the Elliot Spitzer years, but even before that.  Analysts are required by law, their legal departments, etc to publish all perceived and potential conflicts of interests, disclosures of dealing, etc.   "Chinese walls" are erected between those elements of financial institutions pitching deals (selling bonds, equities) and those parts that are "reviewing" securities.

My suggestion is something like this:
Have a disclosure section on your website or in the appendix of your mag, published each issue.  In this disclosure section it states rules by which your reviewers are forced to abide by.  Let's say,
1) accept no more than 15% discount on any component under review. 
2) Disclose any business relationships, explicit or implicit with parties that are participant to the reviewed components. 
3) Disclose any other relationships that would lead a reviewer to be anything other than 100% objective.
4) accept no other gifts, treatment, vacations, that amount to more than $100.  I.e. pay for other travel expenses, hotels, entertainment outtings, etc, out of your own pocket.
Also this disclosure statement would include statutes for which the magizine entity itself abides by.  This section would outline guideline/rules by which the magazine obtain impartiality.  Disclosure of percentages of reviews or components by advertisers.  Largest 5 advertisers by dollars in no particular order.  What happens when a component receives less than positive review by reviewer? State the procedures and is it disclosed to manufacturer before publishing?

This is just a quick off the hip suggestion of what all it could include and typical guidelines.  But it could bolster a lot of readership confidence and manufacturer's confidence as well.  You might even find that you boost advertising dollars over a longer horizon. 

JoshK

« Reply #49 on: 18 Apr 2008, 07:54 pm »
Looks like Kevin and I were on the same line of thinking.   Jinx. 

jamesgarvin

« Reply #50 on: 18 Apr 2008, 08:02 pm »
Rick,

I do appreciate your comments here because you, unlike most readers, actually interact, to some degree, with magazines and reviewers behind the scenes. However, I must suggest that raising this issue and providing specific examples of mis-conduct without actually naming the names does more harm. Using the term "magazines" leaves the impression that you are referring to print as opposed to internet publications. I, and I assume many readers, are left to speculate which magazines and reviewers you are referring to, which only serves to impugn the innocent entities, because, we think, maybe you are referring to them when, in fact, you are not. Sort of like the teacher punishing the entire class because the teacher did not know which student threw the eraser. Guilt by ignorance.

Secondly, if you have experience with a reviewer/magazine that suggests it is not ethically solid, then perhaps we should know that information, on the assumption that we are reading that publication, and, to some extent, relying on their opinions, which may be suspect.

Zero

« Reply #51 on: 18 Apr 2008, 08:13 pm »
Aw hell - why stop there? I've got a few;

6) Every product review should contain a complete 180 degree photo set of the reviewers listening environment.
7) Reviewers who break the above procedure are to be tared and feathered
8) The editors shall have a pox placed upon his/her person and family.
9) Every publication is to cite every single piece of music owned by its reviewers and list the music in ascending numeric order
10) At the end of every year, each reviewer must publish personal receipts from live shows to prove up-to-date live reference points and general passion for music
11) Any publisher who fails to keep clear public record of these holdings will be forced to attend a seasons worth of Rosie O Donnell's talk show

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #52 on: 18 Apr 2008, 08:22 pm »
I wouldn't make specific rule suggestions.   That would be up to each publication.    As long as the standards are public knowledge, and practiced by everyone in the organization it would serve the purpose.   We can agree/disagree about the standards, and reasonable people will, but the public visibility of the standards are the key.

Also... the exposure to those standards as a first action when talking with either a potential review candidate or an advertiser.    I'd find that extremely attractive as either an advertiser, or someone getting a review.   It would alleviate my fears about there being a good ole' boy network and that I'm going to be treated in a fair and impartial manner.   

JoshK

« Reply #53 on: 18 Apr 2008, 08:46 pm »
I am not suggesting that we put rules upon the magazines, I am suggesting that mags adopt rules, such as those that I've listed as an example, themselves and then post it for others to see what rules they live by.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #54 on: 18 Apr 2008, 08:56 pm »
I am not suggesting that we put rules upon the magazines, I am suggesting that mags adopt rules, such as those that I've listed as an example, themselves and then post it for others to see what rules they live by.

Agreed.... and I think we are on exactly the same page.   

sbrtoy

« Reply #55 on: 18 Apr 2008, 09:10 pm »
Simple guideline I use...if you want to know if a review has merit just listen to a few products the reviewer has praised.  If they tend to fit within the sound you like, then you can probably use their recommendation as part of your purchase decision. 

Sometimes as others have said a product just sounds bad despite great reviews (especially very expensive ones). In this case it is either credibility, taste, or their ability for analysis which is at odds with your own view and their review should be discarded as useful for your purchase.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #56 on: 18 Apr 2008, 09:38 pm »
For professional standards, it would be nice if reviewers would have a basic class about acoustics and psychoacoustics.    After all, if they are giving a subjective opinion, they should know a little bit about the nature of that opinion.   

There exist a big gulf between so-called audio professionals (who do research) and the general public.   The reviewers should help to span that gulf rather than widen it.

gerald porzio

« Reply #57 on: 19 Apr 2008, 12:40 am »
Reviewers conversant in acoustics & psychoacoustics????????????? Are these the same reviewers whose technical knowledge shines thru in reviews by spouting the same info/misinfo to be found on mfgs.' web sites. You might as well ask them to get their hearing checked & honestly reveal the results. For sure the game would be over.

giantsteps

« Reply #58 on: 19 Apr 2008, 01:37 am »
Reviewers conversant in acoustics & psychoacoustics????????????? Are these the same reviewers whose technical knowledge shines thru in reviews by spouting the same info/misinfo to be found on mfgs.' web sites. You might as well ask them to get their hearing checked & honestly reveal the results. For sure the game would be over.

Gerald, let's shove technical shit aside...I'm curious and reaching out..... what music moves you?

Frank

gerald porzio

« Reply #59 on: 19 Apr 2008, 02:45 am »
Mostly mainstream jazz & some classical, w/ the exception of opera.