How important is variable loading on Phono stage?

AliG

How important is variable loading on Phono stage?
« on: 16 Apr 2008, 10:40 pm »
To all vinyl freaks...
  I have little clue about this "loading" thingy. All I'm aware of is that each cartridge requires different loading, some needs 47k, some needs 220 Ohm... and etc.

So given a choice between two phono preamps, one only allows 47k but cost half the price of another one with variable loading - assuming that they both sound equally good, is there a reason to pay extra for the one with variable loading?

ps: the preamp with variable loading cost about $2k..

Thanks for helping!
barry

Brad

Re: How important is variable loading on Phono stage?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Apr 2008, 11:52 pm »
If you're going to experiment with different MC carts, the variable loading will come in handy....especially LOMC

SET Man

« Reply #2 on: 17 Apr 2008, 12:07 am »
Hey!

For a short answer... yes. :D

Like Brad said if you are using MC cart than this will help you to optimize the loading for that cart.

Yes, it is unfortunate that most phono pre don't come with this feature. But I guess that because the manufacturers feel that their less expensive phono pre will  likely be use with MM cart anyway. :?

Of course even if your phono pre don't have this feature the loading still can be change but you will need to open it up and find those loading resistors. As long as you are confident and know what you are doing inside it, this could be done. :wink:

That's what I did with my built-in phono stage in my Audio Note M1 pre. It is a MM only and the loading is set at 47K. But now I'm using Benz Micro "ACE" high output version and I tried loading it at 1K, 1.18K and 1.50K... I found 1.18 sound best. Well, your cart won't be the same as mine so you have to figure that out. :D

Good luck and keep us posted :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

AliG

« Reply #3 on: 17 Apr 2008, 12:40 am »
wow.... 1k, 1.18k, 1.5k... that's some fine resolution you're talking about. Are there any phono preamp can adjust loading at such fine scale??

I've been eyeing a Modwright SWP, but I think it can only do  50/100/500/1,000/47,000 ohm!  (correct me if I'm wrong on this) :wink:

That's what I did with my built-in phono stage in my Audio Note M1 pre. It is a MM only and the loading is set at 47K. But now I'm using Benz Micro "ACE" high output version and I tried loading it at 1K, 1.18K and 1.50K... I found 1.18 sound best. Well, your cart won't be the same as mine so you have to figure that out. :D

SET Man

« Reply #4 on: 17 Apr 2008, 01:03 am »
wow.... 1k, 1.18k, 1.5k... that's some fine resolution you're talking about. Are there any phono preamp can adjust loading at such fine scale??

I've been eyeing a Modwright SWP, but I think it can only do  50/100/500/1,000/47,000 ohm!  (correct me if I'm wrong on this) :wink:

Hey!

Well, that is one of advantages of being DIYer  aa But little thing like this could drive me nuts sometime! And that is part of being DIYer also :lol:

Yes, I could hear differences between those values but it is very small and mostly have to do with the top end respond. :D

If I were using that Modwright phono that you've mentioned with my cart I would have set the loading at 1000 (1K) :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

erimille

« Reply #5 on: 17 Apr 2008, 02:36 am »
To all vinyl freaks...
  I have little clue about this "loading" thingy. All I'm aware of is that each cartridge requires different loading, some needs 47k, some needs 220 Ohm... and etc.

So given a choice between two phono preamps, one only allows 47k but cost half the price of another one with variable loading - assuming that they both sound equally good, is there a reason to pay extra for the one with variable loading?

Thanks for helping!
barry

The short answer is 'yes'.

I'd suggest looking into a Decware ZP2.0 (the 3.0 is out, but the 2.0 has the variable loading). I've been very impressed with this unit and on the used market its far less than what you're looking at spending.

--eric

andyr

« Reply #6 on: 17 Apr 2008, 07:02 am »
To all vinyl freaks...

Thanks for helping!
barry
Barry,

If you going to use an MC then, typically, each different make will sound best at a particular resistance loading - all different.  For instance, IMO my Benz Ebony likes 1.5K ohms; however, other people load theirs with 470 ohms, 1K ohms ... etc.

If you are going to run a MM cartridge then these are (supposedly) built to be loaded at 47K - the default resistor in most phono stages.  However, I say "supposedly" because some people have reported that their MM sounds better at 100K ohms!

However, MMs do respond to different capacitance loadings (whereas MCs typically don't).

IMO the best setup for varying loads - resistance or capacitance - is to have 2 pairs of input RCA sockets; the primary pair takes the phono cables, the parallel pair take "loaded" RCA plugs (ie. RCA plugs with a res soldered across them).  These act in parallel with the default 47K res in the phono stage and the combined result is very slightly less than the value of the load resistor (very slightly - not worth worrying about!  :D )

Using an RCA plug with a load cap soldered across it will add to whatever capacitance is inherent in the phono cable.

If you wish to experiment with different values, it's simply a matter of plugging in different "loaded" RCA plugs.

Regards,

Andy