Roger.. What a guy!!

topround

Roger.. What a guy!!
« on: 14 Apr 2008, 10:02 pm »
I was just about to order a RM 9 from Roger today.
I had a few questions about some rumors I had heard about him using Citation 2 transformers in his rm9 mk 1 version. He quickly dismissed that idea and then dismissed me...

He hung up on me :scratch:

He must be having a bad day, anyway I guess I can't order a RM 9 :?

Oh well the search continues
« Last Edit: 24 Apr 2008, 11:55 pm by topround »

Roger A. Modjeski

Re: Roger.. What a guy!!
« Reply #1 on: 15 Apr 2008, 03:25 am »
Sorry for the mis-understanding. I thought we were done with the issue. My impression was that you wanted to confirm whether the rumor was true or not. If you want to buy an amp from me I would appreciate we start there so I know your intentions. I refurbish RM-9s to give a person an alternative to buying one on eBay or Audiogon where the condition is unknown. I also include a 1 year warranty. What more can a person ask.

In all kindness to topround and fellow audiocircle members please realize that it is my desire to serve audiophiles, especially audio circle members, with accurate and honest information. If some fact about my amplifier is true or not is a simple yes or no. I was on the phone long enough and cared enough to ask the source of the rumor as I have had some things to say about Citation IIs that has stoked the fire on certain forums. He informed me it was not on the net and it had come from two friends. In my mind this is no way to start a conversation about buying an amplifier.

Jampot

« Reply #2 on: 15 Apr 2008, 09:20 am »
Hey Mike,

I bought one of Rogers 'EQ in a box' jobbies - only a couple of hundred bucks worth and the communications were first class!

Roger already made a fair effort at redemption in his post but it sounds as though you maybe caught him at a bad time.

Besides, you know you REALLY want an RM9 :thumb:

And if I ever manage to make a rave at your place I want to hear it aa

Jim

topround

« Reply #3 on: 15 Apr 2008, 09:58 am »
Yeah, It may have been a bad day.
I was just taken by surprise, I am sorry if I slighted Roger, he has been a great guy
And he does make grreat stuff.

And Jampot I do hope you make it to my rave in the summer, come on the dollar is cheap!!

mike

jamesgarvin

« Reply #4 on: 15 Apr 2008, 04:26 pm »
I, too, can attest to Roger's patience. As I wrote below in another thread, I purchased an RM-200 from a dealer. Once my cabling issues were resolved, the amp would not play, although everything seemed to work as it should. Roger patiently took me through troubleshooting the amp. I think the problem was that a fuse had become loose during shipment. In any event, rather than simply tell me to make sure the fuse was solidly in place before the troubleshooting, he did so after about an hour of dismantling the amplifier, and testing the wires, taps, etc. with a volt meter. I suspect he rather enjoyed teaching me about the amplifier, something he could not do if he simply told me to ensure a solid fuse connection.

I do not know Roger's family situation, but I get the impression that he treats his products like his children, and when you questioned the origins of one of his children, he likely took offense. Sort of like someone telling you that one of your children was ugly.

skite30

« Reply #5 on: 15 Apr 2008, 06:33 pm »
I've had several conversations over the phone with Roger and own his em7 and passive eq. He has never been anything but patient with me and a delight to speak with. A real gentleman and a pleasure to deal with. Great products too.

rbwalt

« Reply #6 on: 16 Apr 2008, 02:21 pm »
I to have had many conversations with roger over the phone. some for over 2 hrs at a time and they all have been fun and very informative. i might add a few of them have been a real hoot! as many of you know he is very passionate in what he does and what he believes in. he builds dam good products. i have had a RM9MkII, RM5MKII and now i have a RM9SE. i have enjoyed and continue to enjoy every product that i have had from roger.

rob walters.

Double Ugly

« Reply #7 on: 16 Apr 2008, 03:02 pm »
Sorry for the mis-understanding. I thought we were done with the issue. My impression was that you wanted to confirm whether the rumor was true or not. If you want to buy an amp from me I would appreciate we start there so I know your intentions. I refurbish RM-9s to give a person an alternative to buying one on eBay or Audiogon where the condition is unknown. I also include a 1 year warranty. What more can a person ask.

In all kindness to topround and fellow audiocircle members please realize that it is my desire to serve audiophiles, especially audio circle members, with accurate and honest information. If some fact about my amplifier is true or not is a simple yes or no. I was on the phone long enough and cared enough to ask the source of the rumor as I have had some things to say about Citation IIs that has stoked the fire on certain forums. He informed me it was not on the net and it had come from two friends. In my mind this is no way to start a conversation about buying an amplifier.

That's fair enough, Roger, but maybe the purchase was contingent upon your answer, and how the answer was offered.  It is within a prospective customer's purview to evaluate the landscape before taking the plunge, don't you think?

When we buy equipment, we buy into the manufacturer to a degree, and some of us have been burnt often enough to be wary.  Case in point, I recently sold the best amplifiers I've ever heard for that very reason - the prospect of dealing with the designer/manufacturer of the amps was more than I was willing to consider.

It's a hobby for most of us, not a way of life.  If purchasing an item means being chained to an unhelpful, less-than-friendly manufacturer, some would rather pass on what may be a superior piece of equipment than welcome the irritation and frustration of dealing with an unpleasant person.

I deal with more than enough of that in my every day life; I refuse to invite more by way of making purchases from companies and/or people I neither like nor respect, who treat me or others with contempt.  To me, it matters not in the least the quality of said product, and I wouldn't be surprised to find others who feel similarly.

In stating the above, I am not saying or implying you are one of "those" manufacturers.  I'm simply offering a perspective you don't appear to have considered.  As evidenced by the posts above, you've a great reputation after the sale, and that speaks volumes.  However, the way someone is treated before the sale is usually representative of the best they can expect after the sale.  IME, it rarely gets better.

Regards,

-Jim

skite30

« Reply #8 on: 16 Apr 2008, 06:03 pm »
Doble Ugly
I couldn't agree more  your comments about the mfg. after the sale. I also had an amp that I really liked and had no intention of selling but after correspnding with the mfg. he was such a jerk I immediately sold the amp. Of couirse he probably had a different impression of the transaction but selling the amp was the end result.

pubul57

« Reply #9 on: 16 Apr 2008, 09:16 pm »
Weird things sometimes happen. But all I can say is that Roger has always patiently answered every single question, (even stupid ones - it does happen) I have asked regarding tubes, amps, etc. Even when I owned a used RM9 MKII that I did not buy from him.  Thanks to an audition at rbwalts, I now own a RM9 Special Edition. Roger has always been a class act with personality and what I truly do appreciate is his knowledge based on sound science, engineering, and experience; and that, as they say, is priceless.

topround

« Reply #10 on: 16 Apr 2008, 10:18 pm »
I think we can put this topic to bed, I can see this thread expanding to allow everyone the space to voice all their grievances over past experiences with manufacturers.
It would become like the politicians during a campaign slinging mud everywhere.
That is not say it would open the door for some interesting commentary :wink:, but in life we all have shitty days, sometimes we piss off someone and sometimes we get pissed.
I enjoy using the products from the mfrs here on Audio Circle, I have owned Channel Islands, Mapletree, Van Alstine, GR research, and Empirical Audio.
I have also used(borrowed) Nomad audio, Odyssey,Omega, and SP-tech stuff
All those guys are class acts and would do business again

In all likelihood I caught Roger on a bad day, we audiophiles can be a weary lot to them.
But I steer clear of those that piss me off, and those that shit on others products, besides there is so much good stuff out there. :thumb:
How many days to RMAF :scratch:

mike

srayle

« Reply #11 on: 17 Apr 2008, 01:08 am »
Roger is  "Mad Genius', have talked to him, and -Richard- knows him well... have heard a lot about his gifted mind...
as such, I tolerate the eccentricities inherent in the gifts such leave us with... and he is definitely a genius.
Let's give him a break and appreciate him for his gifts and the tremendous resources
that his expertise lends to AC. He is not like having to deal with Kevin Deal
(see audioasylum for the various opinions on dealing with him).

GO ROGER!!!!

Steve Rayle,
An Appreciative Audiophile

dorokusai

• Polk Audio Customer Service
    • Polk Audio
« Reply #12 on: 17 Apr 2008, 01:18 am »
Roger is  "Mad Genius', have talked to him, and -Richard- knows him well... have heard a lot about his gifted mind...
as such, I tolerate the eccentricities inherent in the gifts such leave us with... and he is definitely a genius.
Let's give him a break and appreciate him for his gifts and the tremendous resources
that his expertise lends to AC. He is not like having to deal with Kevin Deal
(see audioasylum for the various opinions on dealing with him).

GO ROGER!!!!

Steve Rayle,
An Appreciative Audiophile

I had a great conversation with Roger when I owned a Reference MkII....yea, he's an audio nut 110% and the work is top notch. Kevin Deal is an good egg but VERY curt on the phone. Not everybody sugar coats things I guess :)

Mark

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #13 on: 17 Apr 2008, 05:06 am »
I agree, we should wind this up. My heartfelt thanks to all truly know me. In my desire to help audiophiles get the best out of their audio systems I often talk myself out of a sale. As my supporters know I have made audio my life's work. For those who would like to read the story it is posted on my website. http://www.ramlabs-musicreference.com/bio.html

For what it's worth, earlier that day I got a call from someone who wanted me to explain in detail how Harold Beveridge's electrostatic drive system differed from the usual constant charge system with which he was familiar. Explaining Bev's drive system is no easy task, and this fellow gave me the impression that since I knew how it worked I was obligated to explain it to him. I freely admit this was not a great beginning of that day.

So let's just chalk it up to unfortunate timing. On another day I would have been more gracious. My primary obligation is to those who own my equipment and I feel that they are my "family". I am always happy to add to that family and to those in the Music Reference family I will leave no stone unturned to help them get the most out of their system.

In answer to topround's questions of that day:

1. I did not use Citation II transformers in the first RM-9's.

2. The MK 1 output transformers are not better than the MK II, they are the same.

Given the time I spent in designing these transformers and teaching someone how to wind them one might imagine those questions made me a bit "prickly". If anyone finds the source of these statements I would certainly like to know and correct them.