What's a reliable, fast color printer?

nathanm

What's a reliable, fast color printer?
« on: 10 Apr 2008, 09:10 pm »
I'm looking to replace our individual-machine Epson C60s and 777is with some kind of reasonably cheap networked printer whose sole purpose is to spit out non-critical color proofs in a fast and reliable manner.  I'm tired of running nozzle checks and cleaning cycles on Epsons after they've sat unused for awhile.  Our 1280 was great, but it was used daily and had a 3rd party CIS. The little C60s were used and then left for dead for months.  I don't feel like nursing them back to health.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

giantsteps

Re: What's a reliable, fast color printer?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Apr 2008, 09:56 pm »
I'm looking to replace our individual-machine Epson C60s and 777is with some kind of reasonably cheap networked printer whose sole purpose is to spit out non-critical color proofs in a fast and reliable manner.  I'm tired of running nozzle checks and cleaning cycles on Epsons after they've sat unused for awhile.  Our 1280 was great, but it was used daily and had a 3rd party CIS. The little C60s were used and then left for dead for months.  I don't feel like nursing them back to health.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

Choose one of Canon's Pixma models. Fast, quiet and reliable.

Frank

Crimson

« Reply #2 on: 10 Apr 2008, 10:13 pm »
My requirement is wide-format (ARCH B) printers and to-date the HP 9800 is the best: fast with zero maintenance and cheap. No bells and whistles, though (fax/scan/copy etc).

PhilNYC

« Reply #3 on: 11 Apr 2008, 11:50 am »

Choose one of Canon's Pixma models. Fast, quiet and reliable.

I have a Canon Pixma I5200 and it is definitely fast, quiet and reliable.  However, it does seem to go through toner pretty quickly...

mcullinan

« Reply #4 on: 11 Apr 2008, 01:23 pm »
I have an HP8450. I used to use the Epson and the nozzles were always clogging too. The HP cartridges include the nozzles so each time you replace ink, you get new nozzles.
Mike

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #5 on: 11 Apr 2008, 01:50 pm »
Ill throw in another vote for the cannon Pixma i have a ip6700d quite fast and good pics.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #6 on: 11 Apr 2008, 03:38 pm »
The HP cartridges include the nozzles so each time you replace ink, you get new nozzles.

That's one of the reasons why I stayed with HP ink jet printers over the years.  The other reason was certain HP cartridges (can't remember which ones) clearly seemed to be the best value relative to the size of their competitor’s cartridges.

I scarcely use color so going with a laser made good sense.  Even color laser printers have become so affordable that one has to wonder if it's worth buying an ink jet at all...

drphoto

« Reply #7 on: 18 Apr 2008, 03:54 pm »
If you print a lot, you can save a fortune in ink by buying from inksupply.com (MIS Associates) They have refillable cartridges, continous flow adapters, etc depending on the model. I would check to see if they support the printer you are going to buy.

I had their CFS system on a 1280, till the printer died, and now use their refillable cartridges on my Ep 4000.

You may need to tweek your profiles, as the inks are similar to the OEM, but not exact.

Martyn

« Reply #8 on: 24 Apr 2008, 08:10 pm »
I too became fed up with clogged nozzles on my Epson C80. When it could no longer produce anything intelligible in any colour, I took it to a repair shop that does nothing but printers. He explained to me why the Epsons are such crap and told me to toss it and buy a Pixma. I bought a 4300 and have had no further problems. The moral of this story: if you want to know what to buy and what to avoid, ask the person who fixes them.

I considered colour lasers, but replacement cartridges cost almost as much as a new machine. I don't like that kind of gouging...

nathanm

« Reply #9 on: 24 Apr 2008, 08:56 pm »
I did have an external CIS in our old 1280 which was a great savings.  It sailed along great until we got the 9800 and now it's pretty much dead.  No cyans and all kinds of weird overspray.  Epsons are like a finicky house plant, if you neglect them even for a little while they wilt and die on ya.

I've recommended a color laser to the Powers That Be.  An HP Color LaserJet CP4005dn or a Xerox Phaser 6360DN.  I don't know if it will mean a cost savings, but if I don't have to babysit the thing I'll be happy.