Squeezebox Duet w/Benchmark dac vs Transporter?

robster

Squeezebox Duet w/Benchmark dac vs Transporter?
« on: 7 Apr 2008, 09:39 pm »
Howdy- I just bought a Slim Devices Duet and like it a lot! I have a Benchmark Dac1 connected to the Duet receiver. All my music files are ripped from cd's in Apple Lossless. Will a Squeezebox Transporter sound better than my current set up?

Cheers,
Robert

NewBuyer

Re: Squeezebox Duet w/Benchmark dac vs Transporter?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Apr 2008, 06:26 am »
Unfortunately it is quite system-specific. The only way to know the answer is to audition the Transporter and do a direct comparison in your system. I think you will be happy either way! :)

Den

« Reply #2 on: 8 Apr 2008, 08:40 am »
I haven't heard the Benchmark, but I did hear a fancy DAC fed by an SB3 vs. a Transporter last week (official thread somewhere?), and, given that the Transporter's designer was very reluctant to accept that the SB was easily improved with a simple PS  upgrade, I was surprised to find that the stock Transporter held its own.  Like NewBuyer said, what's best for you will depend on your taste and system synergy, but I was impressed by the Trans. . . Dunno if I would spend $2k on one, but I like it.

richidoo

« Reply #3 on: 8 Apr 2008, 12:11 pm »
Probably about the same. A DAC (the whole system for that matter) should keep you feeling involved and excited for long listening sessions. ModWright TP should be significantly sexier. Watch for AC  and pro reviews, should be coming shortly.
Rich

Big Red Machine

« Reply #4 on: 8 Apr 2008, 12:24 pm »
Howdy- I just bought a Slim Devices Duet and like it a lot! I have a Benchmark Dac1 connected to the Duet receiver. All my music files are ripped from cd's in Apple Lossless. Will a Squeezebox Transporter sound better than my current set up?

Cheers,
Robert

I'd like to know this as well.  Maybe if Yooper brings his stock TP over we can run it against my SB and DAC combo.  And also the TP thru the DAC as well.

some young guy

« Reply #5 on: 8 Apr 2008, 02:35 pm »

pardales

« Reply #6 on: 10 Apr 2008, 05:09 am »

Cheers,
Robert

Would you describe your set-up a little more? Where are your hard-drives connected? Thanks,

Panelman

« Reply #7 on: 12 Apr 2008, 01:12 am »
Rob,

If the Transporter, which can do 24/96, outputs higher resolution than the Duet then you may hear a difference. Since in either case the Benchmark is outputting the analog signal the limiting factor is the resolution of the original recording you can feed the Benchmark.  I bought a Channel Islands power supply for my Squeezebox, before I got the DAC 1, and it did improve the analog output of the Squeezebox. However, I don't think there is a benefit to an external power supply for the Transporter or Duet  when the DAC 1 is outputting the analog signal.

Sean