Anyone heard Yamaha NS1000's driven by ASKA amps?

markus46

Anyone heard Yamaha NS1000's driven by ASKA amps?
« on: 7 Apr 2008, 10:45 am »
Hello all,

I've been contemplating changing my ME 25/ME 550 amplification for some time.
The raves people give their ASKA's has pushed me in the direction of a prebuilt Swift pre amp and Soraya power amp.

Has anyone heard this kit driving Yamaha NS1000 monitors?  If so, what were your impressions?

I've heard the Yamaha's powered by a Krell KSA-50 way back when and was absolutely gobsmacked by the soundstage and imaging.   Krells will have to wait until I win 1st div tattslotto, but the budget may stretch to ASKA's.

Thanks in advance!
Mark

LM

• Lyn
Re: Anyone heard Yamaha NS1000's driven by ASKA amps?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Apr 2008, 12:25 pm »
Hi Mark,

Its been quite a while since I’ve listened to an NS1000 so I can’t directly answer your question but I remember them as quite astonishing and having excellent clarity, detail and imaging.  A very strong treble if I remember correctly that is possibly unforgiving of poor amplification.  At the time, I couldn’t really afford a pair plus suitable amplification but they sure impressed.  I can’t help but feel a Soraya/Swift combo would drive them beautifully as the Soraya is very fast and refined.  Hopefully someone here will have the direct knowledge to address your query.

I presume you have read the reviews where owners compare their Aspens with previous amplification both in the Lifeforce sticky at the top of this Circle and also under the Amplification Review section in the Critics Circle.  All I can say is that if I won the lottery tomorrow, I wouldn’t even think of changing my own Soraya amplification.  Depending on where you live, you may be able to have a listen to the amp and pre. :)

markus46

« Reply #2 on: 8 Apr 2008, 07:55 am »
Hi Lyn,

Yes I've read the owner reviews and I feel the love.  That's what has got me to this point.

I live in Melbourne and have already contacted Hugh.  An audition has been arranged!

Unfortunately both my CD player and DVD player bit the dust last week, so I am in the process of acquiring  new source gear.  I've ordered an Oppo universal DVD player and am tossing up between a Cambridge Audio 740C or 840C CD player - but that's another story...

Regards
Mark

rabbitz

« Reply #3 on: 8 Apr 2008, 12:37 pm »
Mark

Get the 840C as it's worth the extra money. Makes great music but not one to wow your mates.

LM

• Lyn
« Reply #4 on: 9 Apr 2008, 12:22 am »
I would also go for the 840C, really clean and accurate presentation.  Good value. Personally went for an Arcam player in the end but the differences were quite small so I probably overspent but what the heck. :D

AKSAphile

« Reply #5 on: 9 Apr 2008, 11:28 am »

840 is really worth the money. It has also digital input, so you are future proof. :wink:

markus46

« Reply #6 on: 10 Apr 2008, 09:26 pm »
840C ordered!

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #7 on: 10 Apr 2008, 10:08 pm »
I have it on good authority (from a mixing engineer who has used the NS1000s for 27 years) that the key is LOTS of power.

The NS 1000 apparently was designed using a Crown DC 300

AKSA

« Reply #8 on: 10 Apr 2008, 11:14 pm »
Thanks Russell,

This would imply that the AKSA 100 would be best with the NS1000, as it can handle loads down to 2.5R with ease.

Cheers,

Hugh

markus46

« Reply #9 on: 11 Apr 2008, 03:46 am »
I heard them in the early eighties with a Krell KSA-50.  I couldn't believe what I was hearing.  The soundstage was just incredible.  I've never heard anything like it since.

Studying owners opinions of these speakers, those that rave the most are using Class A SS or tube amplification.

Hugh - when you say the ASKA 100 would be more suitable, do you mean more suitable than the Soraya?  It's been a long time since I got the soldering iron out!

Cheers!
Mark

markus46

« Reply #10 on: 11 Apr 2008, 04:27 am »
Studying owners opinions of these speakers, those that rave the most are using Class A SS or tube amplification.

So my point is that perhaps it's not sheer brute force that makes these things sing.

I know others have correlated those that have had positive experiences with the NS1000 and the amplifier they use to drive them and (I'm really testing my memory here) the key variable is the damping factor of the amplifier.

Although of course nothing beats a real listening test...

andyr

« Reply #11 on: 11 Apr 2008, 04:57 am »

I know others have correlated those that have had positive experiences with the NS1000 and the amplifier they use to drive them and (I'm really testing my memory here) the key variable is the damping factor of the amplifier.

Hi Mark,

Another speaker which - from all the posts on the User Forum - performs better with an amp having a high damping factor are the big (3-way) Magnepans.

All I can say is, having just upgraded from AKSA 100N+ to 100LF, they both have low enough output impedance (ie. high enough damping factor) to make my Maggie IIIa bass panels sing!  :D  But the LF is better!  :drool:  (And the Soraya has even more bass!  :D )

So I don't think you'll have a problem driving your lovely NS1000s with a Soraya.  :D

Regards,

Andy

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #12 on: 11 Apr 2008, 09:14 am »
Higher damping factor tends to make a speaker produce tighter, more articulate but less plentiful bass.

Lower damping factor produces more abundant but sloppier bass and allows resonant tendencies to be more evident - the dreaded "one note" bass.

For a demonstration of extremes in damping factor, turn the amp off and disconnect the wires to one speaker. Get a short length of wire, long enough to short the speaker terminals. Tap the bass driver cone with the terminals shorted, simulating maximum damping factor (very low amplifier output impedance) - listen to the tone produced.

Disconnect the wire to one terminal, simulating non-existent damping factor (higher than high amp output impedance), tap again and listen to the tone. If you've never done this before, you may be surprised at the difference.